ARTANES (Ἀρτάνης), also written Artannes and Artanos, a small river of Bithynia, placed by Arrian (p. 13) 150 stadia east of Cape Melaena, with a haven and temple of Venus at the mouth of the river. [G.L]
Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography, illustrated by numerous engravings on wood. William Smith, LLD. London. Walton and Maberly, Upper Gower Street and Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row; John Murray, Albemarle Street. 1854.