, Ptol.: Eth. Atestinus
), a city of Northern Italy, situated in the interior of the province of Venetia, at the foot of the Euganean hills, and about 18 miles SW. of Patavium. (Ptol. 3.1.30
; Plin. Nat. 3.19 s. 23
; Martial, 10.93
; Itin. Ant. p. 281. where the distance from Patavium is reckoned 25 M. P.) We learn from Pliny that it was a Roman colony; and it is mentioned also by Tacitus (Tac. Hist. 3.6
) in a manner that clearly shows t to have been a place of consideration under the Roman Empire.
But an inscription preserved by Maffei (Mus. Veron.
p. 108; Orell. Inscr.
3110) proves that it was a municipal town of some importance as early as B.C. 136, and that its territory adjoined that of Vicentia.
The modern city of Este
is famous for having given title to one of the most illustrious families of modern Europe; it is a considerable and flourishing place, but contains no ancient remains, except numerous inscriptions.
These have been collected and published by the Abbate Furlanetto. (Padova, 1837, 8vo.)
About 5 miles E. of Este
which is mentioned by Paulus Diaconus (4.26), under the name of MONS SILICIS, as a strong fortress in the time of the Lombards; but the name is not found in any earlier writer.