CAPIDA´VA (Καπίδαβα), a town in Moesia, where a garrison of Roman cavalry was stationed.
It is perhaps to be identified with the modern Tschernawode. (Itin. Ant. 224; Notit. Imp. 100.28; Geogr. Rav. 4.5; Hierocl. p. 637.) [L.S]
Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography, illustrated by numerous engravings on wood. William Smith, LLD. London. Walton and Maberly, Upper Gower Street and Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row; John Murray, Albemarle Street. 1854.