previous next

GLY´PPIA

GLY´PPIA or GLY´MPIA (Γλυππία, Paus. 3.22.8), a village of Laconia, situated near the frontiers of Argolis. Glyppia is the name in Pausanias, who simply describes it as situated in the interior above Marius. It appears to be the same place as the fortress called Γλυμπεῖς by Polybius, who places it near the borders of the Argeia and Laconia, and who relates that the Messenians were defeated here in B.C. 218 by the Spartans, when they; were endeavouring, by a round--about march [p. 1.1004]from Tegea, to penetrate into the southern valley of the Eurotas. (Plb. 5.20.) It is also mentioned on another occasion by Polybius (4.36). The ancient town is probably represented by the Hellenic remains at Lympiáda, which is probably a corruption of the ancient name. The district south of Lympiáda is called O´lympo-khória, which name would seem to indicate that, one of the mountains in the neighbourhood bore the name of Olympus in ancient times. Leake indeed conjectures that Γλυμπία was the ancient local form of Ὀλυμπία, and consequently that Lympiáda and O´lympo-khória may both originate in the same ancient name Olympia having the local form of Glympia. (Boblaye, Recherches, &c. p. 362; Leake, Peloponnesiaca, p. 362; Curtius, Peloponnesos, vol. ii. p. 303.)

hide References (3 total)
  • Cross-references from this page (3):
    • Pausanias, Description of Greece, 3.22.8
    • Polybius, Histories, 4.36
    • Polybius, Histories, 5.20
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: