), a town of Campania, in the district of the Picentini, situated on the N. shore of the gulf of Posidonia, between the Sirenusae Insulae and the mouth of the Silarus. (Strab. v. p.251
It is mentioned by no writer except Strabo, who tells us that it was a colony founded by the Tyrrhenians, but subsequently occupied, and in his day still inhabited, by the Samnites.
As he adds that the distance from thence through Nuceria to Pompeii was not more than 120 stadia (15 Roman miles), he appears to have regarded this as the point from whence the passage of the isthmus (as he calls it) between the two bays began; and it may therefore be placed with some plausibility at Vietri.
p. 1190; Romanelli, vol. iii. p. 614.) Some ancient remains have been discovered there, though these may seem to indicate the site of Roman villas rather than of a town.