, Peripl. M. Erythr. 100.54, p. 297, ap. Geogr. Graec. Min. ed. Müller, 1855), a port on the west coast of Hindostán,
situated between Tyndis and Nelcynda, and at the distance of 500 stadia from either, where, according to the author of the Periplus, ships came from Ariaca and Greece (that is, Alexandria). Ptolemy calls it an emporium (7.1.8), and places it in Limyrica.
There can be little doubt that it is the place which is now called Mangalore,
and which is still a considerable port.