, Ptol. 2.5.8
), a Roman colony in Lusitania, on the left bank of the Tagus, lying NW. of Emerita Augusta, and mentioned by Pliny (4.20. s. 35
) as the Colonia Nor-bensis Caesariana, It is the modern Alcantara
, and still exhibits some Roman remains, especially a bridge of six arches over the Tagus, built by Trajan.
This structure is 600 feet long by 28 broad, and 245 feet above the usual level of the river. One of the arches was blown up in 1809 by Col. Mayne, to prevent the French from passing; but it was repaired in 1812 by Col. Sturgeon.
It is still a striking monument of Roman magnificence.
The architect, Caius Julius Lacer, was buried near the bridge; and at its entrance a chapel still exists containing an inscription to his memory. (Ford, Handbook of Spain
, p. 272; Gruter, Inscr.
p. 162; Muratori, Nov. Thes. Inscr.
1064. 6; Ukert, vol. ii. pt. 1. p. 396; Sestini, Moneta Vetus
, p. 14; Florez, Esp. S.
xiii. p. 128.)
[T. H. D.