previous next


ORESTHA´SIUM (Ὀρεσθάσιον, Paus.; Ὀρέσθειον, Thuc.; Ὀρέστειον, Her., Eur.), a town in the south of Arcadia, in the district of Maenalia, a little to the right of the road, leading from Megalopolis to Pallantium and Tegea. Its inhabitants were removed to Megalopolis on the foundation of the latter city. Its territory is called Oresthis by Thucydides (4.134), and in it was situated Ladoceia, which became a suburb of Megalopolis. [LADOCEIA] Leake places Oresthasium at or near the ridge of Tzimbarú, and conjectures that it may have occupied the site of the village of Marmara or Marmária, a name often attached in Greece to places where ancient wrought or sculptured stones have been found. (Paus. 8.44.2, comp. 8.3.1, 27.3, 39.4; Hdt. 9.11; Plut. Arist. 10; Thuc. 5.64; Eur. Orest. 1642, Electr. 1274: Steph. B. sub voce Leake, Peloponnesiaca, p. 247.)

hide References (6 total)
  • Cross-references from this page (6):
    • Euripides, Orestes, 1642
    • Herodotus, Histories, 9.11
    • Pausanias, Description of Greece, 8.44.2
    • Thucydides, Histories, 5.64
    • Thucydides, Histories, 4.134
    • Plutarch, Aristeides, 10
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: