(Polyb. ap. Plin. 5.1), a harbour on the W. coast of Mauretania, which may be identified with the ACRA of the Ship-journal of Hanno (Ἄκρα, Peripl.
§ 5, ed. Müller.
It now bears the name of Agader,
signifying in the Berber language (Paradis, Dictionnaire Berbère,
p. 110) “a fortress,” and is described as being the best roadstead along t e coast of Marocco. Agader
or Santa Cruz,
which was called Guertguessem in the time of Leo Africanus, was walled round and strengthened by batteries in 1503 by Emanuel, king of Portugal; but was taken from the Portuguese by the Moors in 1536. (Jackson, Morocco,
p. 113; Journ. of Geogr. Soc.
vol. vi. p. 292.)