, Strab. xvii. p.831
; Ptol. 4.2.9
; Plin. Nat. 5.1
; Itin. Anton.; Peut. Tab.), a town on the coast of Mauretania Caesariensis, with a spacious harbour, which was in earlier times the E. boundary between the dominions of Juba and those of the Romans. (Strab. l.c.
) Under Augustus it became a Roman “colonia.” (Plin. l.c.
) In later times it was the W. limit of Mauretania Sitifensis, against Mauretania Caesariensis in its more contracted sense.
It is identified with Bujeiyah,
the flourishing city of the Kaliphat,
taken by Pedro Navarro, the general of Ferdinand the Catholic, after two famous battles, A. D. 1510 (comp. Prescott's Ferdinand and Isabella,
vol. ii. p. 457), or the C. Bongie
of the French province. (Barth, Wanderungen,