language as that used by Hooker
in his circular, and designated divisions by the same colors.
The badge of the Seventh Corps was a crescent nearly encircling a star.
It was not adopted until after the virtual close of the war, June 1, 1865.
The following is a paragraph from the circular issued by Major-General J. J. Reynolds
, Department of Arkansas, regarding it:--
“This badge, cut two inches in diameter, from cloth of colors red
, and blue
, for the 1st, 2d, and 3d Divisions respectively, may be worn by all enlisted men of the Corps
This was an entirely different corps from the Seventh Corps, which served in Virginia
, and which had no badge.
The latter was discontinued Aug. 1, 1863, at the same time with the original Fourth Corps.
The Eighth Corps wore a six-pointed star.
I have not been able to ascertain the date of its adoption.
There was no order issued.
The Ninth Corps was originally a part of the Army of the Potomac, but at the time Hooker
issued his circular it was in another part of the Confederacy
Just before its return to the army, General Burnside
issued General Orders No. 6
, April 10, 1864, announcing as the badge of his corps, “A shield with the figure nine in the centre crossed with a foul anchor and cannon, to be worn on the top of the cap or front of the hat.”
This corps had a fourth division, whose badge was green.
The corps commander and his staff wore a badge “of red
, and blue
, with gilt anchor, cannon, and green number.”
December 23, 1864, Major-General John G. Parke
, who had succeeded to the command, issued General Orders No. 49
, of which the following is the first section:--
“1. All officers and enlisted men in this command will be required to wear the Corps Badge
upon the cap or hat. For the Divisions, the badges will be plain, made of cloth in the shape of a shield — red for the first, white for the second, and blue for the third.
For the Artillery Brigade, the ”