shield will be red, and will be worn under the regulation cross cannon.”
This order grew out of the difficulty experienced in obtaining the badge prescribed by General Burnside
The cannon, anchor, etc., were made of gold bullion at Tiffany
's, New York City, and as it was scarcely practicable for the rank and file to obtain such badges, they had virtually anticipated the order of General Parke
, and were wearing the three plain colors after the manner of the rest of Potomac's army.
The figures in the colorplate, however, are fashioned after the direction of General Burnside
The annexed cut is a fac-simile of one of the
An original Ninth Corps badge.|
original metallic badges worn by a staff officer.
This corps had a fourth division from April 19 to Nov. 29, 1864.
The Tenth Corps badge was the trace of a four-bastioned fort.
It was adopted by General Orders No. 18
issued by Major-General D. B. Birney
, July 25, 1864.
The Eleventh and Twelfth Corps have already been referred to, in General Hooker
On the 18th of April, 1864, these two corps were consolidated to form the Twentieth Corps, and by General
Orders No. 62
Eleventh and Twelfth Corps badges combined.|
issued by Major
General George H. Thomas
, April 26, “a star, as heretofore worn by the Twelfth Corps,” was prescribed as the badge.