simplified the matter somewhat, requiring line-officers and enlisted men both to wear the plain cross the color of their respective divisions, and enlisted men were required to wear theirs on the front of the hat or top of the cap.
By General Orders No. 11
issued by General Emory
Nov. 17, 1864, the Nineteenth Corps adopted “a fan-leaved cross, with an octagonal centre.”
The First Division was to wear red
, the Second blue
, and the Third white
-the exception in the order of the colors which proved the rule.
The badge of enlisted men was to be of cloth, two inches square, and worn on the side of the hat or top of the cap, although they were allowed to supply themselves with metallic badges of the prescribed color, if so minded.
The Twenty-First Corps never adopted a badge.
The Twenty-Second adopted (without orders) a badge quinquefarious in form, that is, opening into five parts, and having a circle in the centre.
This was the corps which served in the defence of Washington
Its membership was constantly changing.
The badge adopted by the Twenty-Third Corps (without General Orders) was a plain shield, differing somewhat in form from that of the Ninth Corps, with which it was for a time associated, and which led it to adopt a similar badge.
The following General Order
tells the story of the next Corps' badge:--
Headquarters twenty-Fourth Army Corps, before Richmond, Va.
, March 18, 1865.
[General Orders No. 32
.] By authority of the Major-General
commanding the Army of the James, the heart is adopted as the badge of the Twenty-Fourth Army Corps.
The symbol selected is one which testifies our affectionate regard for all our brave comrades — alike the living and the dead — who have braved the perils of the mighty conflict, and our devotion to the sacred cause — a cause which entitles us to the sympathy of every brave and true heart and the support of every strong and determined hand.
commanding the Corps
does not doubt that soldiers who have given their strength and blood to the fame of their former badges,