which General McClellan
approved, and published to the army in orders, Aug. 2, 1862, and which General Meade
reissued, with some additions and slight changes, a little more than a year later.
All of the ambulances belonging to an army corps were to be placed under the control of the medical director
of that corps, for now, in addition to a medical director of the army, there was a subordinate medical director for each army corps.
Such an ambulance corps was put into the hands of a captain as commandant.
This corps was divided and subdivided into division, brigade, and regimental trains, corresponding to the divisions of the army corps to which it belonged, having a first lieutenant in charge of a division, a second lieutenant in charge of a brigade, and a sergeant in charge of a regimental detachment.
Besides these, three privates, one of them being the driver, were to accompany each ambulance on the march and in battle.
The duties of all these men, both officers and privates, were very carefully defined, as well for camp as for the march and battle.
Besides the ambulances, there accompanied each corps one medicinewagon and one army wagon to a brigade, containing the requisite medicines, dressings, instruments, hospital stores, bedding, medical books, small furniture (like tumblers, basins, bed-pans, spoons, vials, etc.).
In addition to the foregoing articles, which were carefully assorted both as to quantity and quality, each ambulance was required to carry in the box beneath the driver's seat, under lock and key, the following articles:--
Three bed-sacks, six 2-pound cans beef-stock, one leather bucket, three camp kettles (assorted sizes), one lantern and candle, six tin plates, six table-spoons
, six tin tumblers; and, just before a battle, ten pounds hard bread were required to be put into the box.