building not unlike a bowling-alley in proportions, having the entrance at one end, a broad aisle running through the centre, and a double row of bunks, one above the other, on either side.
They were calculated to hold one company of a hundred men. Some of these buildings are still to be seen at Readville, Mass., near the old campgrounds.
But while barracks were desirable quarters in
the cooler weather of this latitude, and sheltered many regiments during their stay in the State
, a still larger number found shelter in tents prior to their departure for the field.
These tents were of various patterns, but the principal varieties used were the Sibley
, the A
or Wedge Tent
, and the Hospital
or Wall Tent
tent was invented by Henry Sibley
, in 1857.
He was a graduate of the United States military academy at West Point
, and accompanied Capt. John C. Fremont