previous next

Doc. 48. operations in Cheat Mountain, Va.

Report of Gen. Reynolds.

Headquarters First Brigade I. V. M., Elk water, Sept. 17, 1861.
To Geo. L. Hartsuff Assistant Adjutant-General Department Ohio:
sir: The operations of this brigade for the past few days may be summed up as follows: On the 12th inst. the enemy, nine thousand strong, with eight to twelve pieces of artillery, under command of Gen. R. E. Lee, advanced on this position by the Huntersville Pike. Our advanced pickets — portions of the Fifteenth Indiana and Sixth Ohio--gradually fell back to our main picket station; two companies of the Seventeenth Indiana, under Col. Hascall, checking the enemy's advance at the Point Mountain Turnpike, and then falling back on the regiment which occupied a very advanced position on our right front, and which was now ordered in. The enemy threw into the woods on our left front three regiments, who made their way to the right and rear of Cheat Mountain, took a position on the road leading to Huttonville, broke the telegraph wire, and cut off our communication with Col. Kimball's Fourteenth Indiana Cavalry on Cheat Summit. Simultaneously another force of the enemy, of about equal [133] strength, advanced by the Staunton Pike on the front of Cheat Mountain, and threw two regiments to the right and rear of Cheat Mountain, which united with the three regiments from the other column of the enemy. (The two posts, Cheat Summit and Elk Water, are seven miles apart by a bridle path over the mountains, and eighteen miles by the wagon road, via Huttonville, “Cheat Mountain Pass,” the former Headquarters of the brigade, being at the foot of the mountain, ten miles from the summit.) The enemy advancing toward the pass, by which he might possibly have obtained the rear or left of Elk Water, was met there by three companies of the Thirteenth Indiana, ordered up for that purpose, and by one company of the Fourteenth Indiana from the summit. These four companies engaged and gallantly held in check greatly superior numbers of the enemy, foiled him in his attempt to obtain the rear or left of Elk Water, and threw him into the rear and right of Cheat Mountain, the companies retiring to the pass at the foot of the mountains.

The enemy, about five thousand strong, was closed in on Cheat Summit, and became engaged with detachments of the Fourteenth Indiana, Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Ohio, from the summit, in all only about three hundred, who, deployed in the wood, held in check and killed many of the enemy, who did not at any time succeed in getting sufficiently near the field redoubt to give Dunn's battery an opportunity of firing into him. So matters rested at dark on the 12th, with heavy forces in front, and in plain sight of both posts' communication cut off, and the supply train for the mountain, loaded with provisions which were needed, waiting for an opportunity to pass up the road. Determined to force a communication with Cheat, I ordered the Thirteenth Indiana, under Col. Sullivan, to cut their way, if necessary, by the mail road, and the greater part of the Third Ohio and Second Virginia, under Cols. Manon and Moss respectively, to do the same by the path; the two commands starting at three o'clock A. M., on the 13th--the former from Cheat Mountain Pass, and the latter from Elk Water, so as to fall upon the enemy, if possible, simultaneously. Early on the 13th, the small force of about three hundred from the summit engaged the enemy, and with such effect, that notwithstanding his greatly superior numbers, he retired in great haste and disorder, leaving large quantities of clothing and equipments on the ground; and our relieving forces, failing to catch the enemy, marched to the summit, securing the provision train, and re-openingour communication. While this was taking place on the mountain, and as yet unknown to us, the enemy, under Lee, advanced on Elk Water, apparently for a general attack. One rifled ten-pound Parrott gun, from Loomis' battery, was run to the front three-fourths of a mile, and delivered a few shots at the enemy, doing fine execution, causing him to withdraw out of convenient range. Our relative positions remained unchanged until near dark, when we learned the result of the movement on the mountain, as above stated, and the enemy retired somewhat for the night.

On the 14th, early, the enemy was again in position in front of Elk Water, and a few rounds, supported by a company of the Fifteenth Indiana, were again administered, which caused him to withdraw as before. The forces that had been before repulsed from Cheat returned, and were again driven back by a comparatively small force from the mountain. The Seventeenth Indiana was ordered up the path to open communication, and make way for another supply train; but, as before, found the little band from the summit had already done the work. During the afternoon of the 14th the enemy withdrew from before Elk Water, and is now principally concentrated some ten miles from this post, at or near his main camp. On the 15th he appeared in stronger force than at any previous time, in front of Cheat, and attempted a flank movement by the left, but was driven back by the ever-vigilant and gallant garrison of the field redoubt on the summit. To-day the enemy has also retired from the front of Cheat, but to what precise position I am not yet informed. The results of these affairs are, that we have killed near one hundred of the enemy, including Colonel John A. Washington, aide-decamp to General Lee, and have taken about twenty prisoners. We have lost nine killed, including Lieut. Junod, Fourteenth Indiana, two missing, and about sixty prisoners, including Captain James Bense and Lieutenants Gillman and Shaffer of the Sixth Ohio, and Lieut. Merrill of the Engineers. I append the reports of Col. Kimball, Fourteenth Indiana; Capt. Higgins, Twenty-fourth Ohio, and Lieut.-Col. Owen and Col. Wagner, of the Fifteenth Indiana.

J. J. Reynolds, Brig.--General Commanding First Brigade. Geo. S. Rose, Asst. Adjt.-General.

Colonel Kimball's report

camp Cheat Mountain Summit, W. V., September 14, 1861.
Brig.-Gen. J. J. Reynolds Commanding:
General: On the morning of September 2th, I started my train (teams from the Twenty-fourth Ohio regiment) to your camp; when about three-fourths of a mile out, they were attacked by a party of the enemy. Information being at once brought to me, I proceeded to the point of attack, accompanied by Col. Jones of the Twenty-fifth Ohio, and Lieut.-Col. Gilbert of the Twenty-fourth Ohio, and Companies C (Capt. Brooks) and F (Capt. Williamson) of the Fourteenth Indiana. I at first supposed the attack was made by a scouting party of the enemy, and sent Capts. Brooks and Williamson into the woods deployed as skirmishers. They soon overhauled the enemy, numbering twenty-five hundred. My captains immediately opened fire, and informed me the enemy were there in great force. I ordered them to hold their position; they did so, and soon had the pleasure of seeing [134] the whole force of the enemy take to their heels, throwing aside guns, clothing, and every thing that impeded their progress. In the mean time I had detailed a guard of ninety men, to be sent forward to relieve Capt. Coons, of the Fourteenth Indiana, who had been stationed as a picket on the path between Elk Water Camp and my own. This detail was from the Fourteenth Indiana, Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Ohio, under Capt. Higgins, Lieuts. Green and Wood. They had proceeded about two miles from the point of first attack, when they met the Tennessee Brigade, gave them battle, and drove them back. Capt. Coons of the Fourteenth Indiana had met this same force earlier in the morning and undertook to resist them, and did so until driven back. He then came in their rear whilst they were engaged with the command under Capt. Higgins, Company C, Twenty-fourth Ohio, Lieut. Green of the Fourteenth Indiana, and Lieut. Wood of the Twenty-fifth Ohio.

At this juncture, I was informed that the enemy were moving in my front above the hill east of my camp, where we have usually had a picket station, which point was occupied by Lieut. Junod, Company E, Fourteenth Indiana. The enemy surrounded Junod's command consisting of thirty-five men, with a force five hundred strong, and killed Lieut. Junod and one private; the others have all come into camp.

I soon found that Capts. Brooks and Williamson were driving the enemy to my right flank. I then despatched two companies--one from the Fourteenth Indiana, Co. A, Capt. Foote, and one from the Twenty-fourth Ohio, Capt.----, up Cheat River, to cut off the enemy's retreat. My captains met the enemy two miles above the bridge, scattering them and killing several; captured two prisoners, and retaking one of the wagoners taken early in the morning. The enemy's force on my right flank consisted of the Twenty-fifth Virginia, Col. Heck, Twenty-third, Thirty-first and Thirty-seventh, and also one battalion of Virginians under command of Col. Taliafero. The force which met Capt. Higgins and Lieuts. Green and Wood, consisted of the First Tennessee, Col. George Manny; the Seventh Tennessee, Col. R. Hadden, the Fourteenth Tennessee, Col. Forbes, mustering in all three thousand, commanded by Gen. Anderson.

The aggregate of the enemy's force was near fifty-five hundred; ours, which engaged and repulsed them, was less than three hundred.

We killed near one hundred of the enemy, and wounded a greater number, and have thirteen prisoners.

We recaptured all our teamsters and others whom the enemy had captured in the morning.

We have lost a few noble fellows, killed, among whom is Lieut. Junod, Co. E, Fourteenth Indiana. I append a list of killed, wounded, and missing of my command.

General, I think my men have done wonders. and ask God to bless them.

The woods are literally covered with the baggage, coats, haversacks, &c., of the enemy.

Though almost naked, my command is ready to move forward.

Your ob't servant,

Nathan Kimball, Col. Fourteenth Indiana Volunteers, And Commanding Post. Geo. S. Rose, Assistant Adjutant-General.

List of killed, wounded, and missing.

Fourteenth Indiana regiment.--Killed: First Lieut. August Junod, Company E. Privates, Geo. Winder, Company E; John Templeton, Company D; Andrew M. Arthur, Company D, accidentally.

Wounded--Privates, Jno. Kilgannon, Company B, knee; George L. Daum, Company B, arm; Corporals Kline and Ewald, Company G, leg; Privates, Ed. Dehan, Company G, leg; Mikes Mulville, Company G, hand.

Missing--Privates Adolph Myer and John Sims, Company G.

Twenty-Fourth Ohio.--Wounded: Privates, Abram Thrapp, Company A; John Taylor, Company C; George Bebber, Company E. George Carpenter, Company K. None killed of missing.

Cavalry.--Killed: Farrier, H. C. Brity. Prisoner, Charles Worth.

Twenty-Fifth Ohio.--Missing: Henry Burnet and Alfred F. Stump, Company E. Prisoner, John Truxill, Company D.


Geo. S. Rose, Assistant Adjutant-General.

Report of D. J. Higgins.

camp Cheat Mountain Summit, September 17, 1861.
Col. N. Kimball, Commanding Post:
I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of my command at the skirmishes which occurred four miles from Camp on the 12th instant:--

My command was composed of ninety men, detailed thirty each from the Twenty-fourth and Twenty-fifth Ohio Infantry and the Fourteenth Indiana, accompanied by Lieutenant John T. Wood, Company H, Twenty-fifth Ohio, and Lieutenant M. Green, Company B, Fourteenth Indiana. I was ordered to proceed with haste to the relief of Captain Coon, of the Fourteenth Indiana, who, on the morning of 11th instant, had been ordered to guard a pass, five miles northwest from Camp, leading from the main road to Elk River. Half a mile from Camp I found three wagons, whose horses and drivers had that morning been taken by rebels, who during the night had lain in large force near the Camp. Hastening on we were met by a cavalry soldier, leading a wounded horse, who stated that the enemy had collected at the entrance of the pass, had shot his horse, and that Captain Coon and party were doubtless cut off; sending a squad of men into the woods on both sides of the road, I proceeded cautiously within sight of the spot where the horse had been shot, when I sent Lieutenant Green with his men to [135] deploy on the left of the road, and Lieutenant Wood with his men on the right, holding the detail of the Twenty-fourth on the right, near the road, in line, with the others as reserve to check any advance of the enemy on the road, ordering the whole line to move cautiously, covering themselves by trees. The right had proceeded about three rods in this manner, when it was saluted by a volley of at least one hundred guns, with no loss on our side. We returned the volley, and immediately advanced upon the ambush, receiving and returning a second volley. The rebels fled up from the right to the road, where Lieutenant Green came in sight of them and poured in a destructive fire. At this moment we saw a large body of men in utter confusion, pressing back upon what seemed a larger force in line of battle, in spite of all efforts of officers to rally them. Lieutenant Green, seeing so large a force, fell back upon the reserve, bringing in two wounded men--private Leonard Daum, wounded in the arm, and private John Killgannon, both of Company B, Fourteenth Indiana. I directed the line to be deployed again, but to make no advance, determining to hold the position until the arrival of reinforcements. After waiting half an hour, Maj. Harron of the Fourteenth Indiana came up with two companies. He immediately sent forward a squad of men to reconnoitre; these returned bringing in two prisoners, who reported the force in our front to be General Anderson's brigade of Tennesseeans, numbering three thousand; that we had fallen upon the left wing of his line, and that his was one of three columns of rebel infantry, which during the night had collected at three points to attack the camp.

Learning these facts, Major Harron ordered me to draw in my men and post them as advance guard two miles nearer Camp. This I did and held the place unmolested until morning, when I was relieved. From the most reliable information I can get, the rebels have lost in that engagement at least fifty killed, besides many wounded.

The actual skirmishing lasted about thirty minutes, but the whole time we held the ground was one hour.

I wish to call the attention of the Colonel commanding this post to the general bravery and coolness of all the men under my command during the engagement. Particularly, I wish to notice the gallant conduct of Lieut. M. Green of Company B, Fourteenth Indiana, and Lieutenant John T. Wood of Company H, Twenty-fifth Ohio, whose steady coolness and daring example had great force in keeping the deployed line unbroken, and in causing so destructive a fire to be poured upon the enemy. I have the honor to be, Colonel, very respect-fully, your obedient servant,

David J. Higgins, Capt. Co. C, Twenty-fourth Ohio Infantry, Commanding Scout. Geo. S. Rose, Assistant Adj.-Gen.

Report of Lieut.-Col. Owen.

camp Elk water, Randolph Co., Va., September 18, 1861.
Col. G. D Wagner, Commanding Fifteenth Regiment Indiana Volunteers:
sir: In accordance with your order “to proceed on the Manlia Turnpike until I met the enemy, but not to bring on a general engagement,” I marched my command of two hundred and eighty-five infantry and four dragoons, (the latter designed to be used as messengers,) on Sunday, the 8th September, at noon, out of camp, under the guidance of Dr. Singer, a Union Virginian, who, having formerly practised in this and adjoining counties, was thoroughly acquainted with all the localities.

The infantry consisted of portions of Company B, Captain Wing, Third Ohio; Company A, Captain Rice; Company C, Captain Comparet; Company E, Captain Lamb; Company K, Captain McCutcheon; and Company H, under Lieutenant Werner, all of the Fifteenth Indiana Volunteers. Lieutenant Driscoll of the Third Ohio Volunteers, volunteered to lead a scouting party, consisting of ten Indiana and ten Ohio riflemen. Lieutenant Bedford, acting Captain of our scouts, volunteered to accompany the expedition. The cavalry was taken from Captain Bracken's Indiana company. Slept the first night on our arms, with half the command awake at a time, with no fires and perfectly silent. After picketing wherever the cross roads pointed out by Dr. Dyer seemed to demand it, we proceeded at four o'clock P. M., on the 9th instant, toward the Confederate camp at Marshall's store, carefully scouring the laurel bushes. Immediately after the main body, with Captain Wing, in the advance guard, emerged from a dense thicket which lined each side of the road. Our scouts commenced firing, having come so close to the enemy, and so suddenly, that a hand-to-hand scuffle ensued between private Edwards of the Fifteenth Indiana, and a Carolina secessionist, while another Fifteenth Indiana scout, Private J. F. Morris, surprised four dragoons at their breakfast, in a house, which proved to be on the farm of Henry Thomas, about three-fourths of a mile north of their camp.

In accordance with instructions previously given to my command, I ordered them to fire by sections, and countermarched to re-form and load in the rear. This was carried out in good order, and with such execution that, as prisoners afterward taken by Colonel Sullivan of the Thirteenth Indiana informed him, we killed fifteen, and wounded about as many more. An officer, who proved to be Major Murray of the Virginia troop, was shot, it is believed, by Lieutenant Bedford. with an En-field rifle.

Knowing that, although there were but three full companies in sight, the enemy was in strong force at a short distance, I considered it prudent, in accordance with your instructions, to retire the command, after all firing on [136] the part of the enemy had ceased, forming for some time as before, faced to the front, but afterward marching in common time, to our camp, eleven miles and a quarter, delaying on the rout long enough to dress the wounds of one of our men--private Frank Cooner of Company G. Third Ohio, who was wounded in two places, besides receiving a ball through his haversack; but is now doing well.

The force represented by the prisoners in camp near Marshall's store, amounts to eight thousand men; they also report that two pieces of artillery and two regiments of infantry were ordered out in pursuit, doubtless the same — a portion of which, next day, attacked the two companies of your regiment occupying the out-posts on that road, viz.: Company D, Capt. Templeton, and Company F, under Lieut. Dean, who so successfully sustained themselves.

The above brief report of our skirmish is submitted with the hope that we carried out your instructions, in the manner you designed.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

Richard Owen Lieut.-Col. Fifteenth Indiana Volunteers. Geo. S. Rose, Assistant Adjutant-General.

Report of Colonel Wagner.

Headquarters Fifteenth regiment Ind. Vols., September 12, 1861.
Brigadier-General J. J. Reynolds:
dear sir: On the 9th of the present month, I ordered Capt. Templeton to take companies D and F, and take possession of and hold the Point Mountain Pike, at its junction with the Huntersville Pike, supported by Major Christopher of the Sixth regiment Ohio, with one hundred men at Conrad's Mills, two miles in the rear. The first position was about eight miles in advance of my camp, and four miles from the enemy's encampment.

On the morning of the 11th, Capt. Templeton's pickets were attacked by the enemy's column advancing down the road; they fell back on the main force — the enemy still advancing in force. Capt. Templeton despatched a dragoon for reinforcements. I immediately sent the left wing of the Fifteenth Indiana, under command of Major Wood, with orders to hold the position; but soon after, a scout, who had been posted three miles east of Capt. Templeton, with instructions to report to me any movement of the enemy on the left flank, came on and reported a column of two thousand troops marching in this direction, with the evident intention of cutting off Capt. Templeton and Major Christopher. I immediately sent orders for the entire force to fall back on the main force, which they did in good order, bringing off their wounded — having two men killed, one taken prisoner, and three wounded. Privates Kent and Butler killed, of Company F, Capt. White; F. Spooner of the same company was taken prisoner.

The wounded are Corporal Clark and private Richards--both seriously, Clark having been hit by four balls. Both will recover, but Richards has had his leg amputated. Private Hovey is slightly wounded; all of Co. D of my regiment. At this time you arrived on the ground and took command. Let me say that officers and men all did their duty, and I must be allowed to commend to your notice Sergeant Thompson of Co. D, who had command of the first party engaged, as well as the men with him, who stood and fought until half of the party were shot down before they would fall back. I have the honor to be your most obedient servant,

Col. G. D. Wagner. Geo. S. Rose, Ass't Adj't-General.

Letter from an Indiana volunteer.

camp Cheat Mountain Summit, Sept. 13, 4 o'clock P. M.
Within the last thirty-six hours we have had stirring times on Cheat Mountain. But the Star-Spangled Banner still waves, and, indeed, is more honored than ever before.

At half-past 8 o'clock, on yesterday morning, (the 12th,) one of Bracken's cavalry, who had been sent to the foot of the mountain, returned, stating that he had found three of our wagons, which had started a short time before him, on the road some mile and a half distant, without drivers or horses; there also being found blood and other marks of violence. Immediately Col. Kimball detailed detachments of companies B, C, and F, of the Fourteenth Indiana regiment, under Capts. Brooks and Williamson, and Lieutenant Greene, to search out and punish the depredators. They had been gone but a few minutes when scattering shots were heard within three-quarters of a mile of our camp. These were followed by a succession of sharp volleys. The ball had opened. They had found and assailed three thousand rebels, (not knowing their number at the time,) who had crept round the mountain and bivouacked the night before, near the road in our rear, within a few rods of our pickets. But notwithstanding their numbers, they fled, scattering over the mountain in great confusion, and apparently completely demoralized, leaving behind them their blankets, clothes, haversacks, and many guns. These volleys were the signal for the “beat to arms.” Then you should have seen the Hoosier and Buckeye boys fly to arms. The prolonged monotony and irk — some inactivity were broken. An opportunity was about to be given for them to uphold the Stars and Stripes, and with them constitutional liberty — to do honor to their respective States, their friends and themselves, and with a delight and a zest far beyond even that of guests going to a wedding feast, they all flew to their places and prepared for the expected action.

Under the efficient direction of Col. Kimball, who commands this post, (he being just returned from escorting the attacking companies to the scene of action, saying, with a smile and an air of almost supreme delight, “Our boys are peppering them good out there,” ) aided by Lieut.-Col. Mahan and Major Harrow, Col. Ammen, [137] Lieut.-Col. Gilbert and Major----, of the Twenty-fourth Ohio; Colonel Jones, with his Twenty-fifth Ohio, taking his position in the redoubt; Capt. Daum, of the German Artillery Company, and Lieut. Dalzelle, of the Bracken Rangers; all the forces were, in a few minutes, posted at all the approaches, and there they lay all day, as eager for the enemy as the crouched panther for his prey. Even the members of the bands, the teamsters, the sutlers, the commissary and quartermaster sergeants, and all the sick that could crawl, gathered up the spare guns, forming a strong corps and presenting quite a belligerent appearance. But no enemy approached the camp, as we had reason strongly to expect, from their having with such labor come so far to do so, also from the unanimous testimony of twelve prisoners whom the boys during the day had taken, who also indicated their number above given; and further, that they had between us and Wagner, on our flank, some six or seven miles distant, twenty-five hundred more, of whom I have to speak presently. I could not help smiling, knowing our numbers, ability, and fortifications, when they told us they designed taking our position at the point of the bayonet!

But during the assault of the detachments of companies before named, the slaughter of rebels was terrible. They were stupid, or spell-bound, or in some way mysteriously affected, so that they fired only an occasional shot, and that but poorly aimed, while our boys, and especially Lieut. Greene, with his gallant twenty-five of the Old Post Guards, with a spirit and vim only exhibited by hoosier boys, (or buckeyes,) pursued them, strewing the pass and the mountains with their slain.

On the previous evening Capt. Coon, of Vincennes, with detachments from the different regiments, (sixty men in all,) had been sent some seven miles to the southeast, and to our rear, to picket a bridle path leading from a point on the pass three miles west of us, across to Wagner's camp. Early in the morning he found himself cut off by the twenty-five hundred rebels before mentioned, they being widely scattered over the mountains between here and the camp. Then and there he called up his command, and put the question: Shall we cut our way through to the camp, or die in the attempt? His question was answered by his heroic band in the affirmative, and then they took up their line of march, and for hours dealt out slaughter and death to the scattered ambushing foe, who closely contested their passage for several miles. At one time they shot seven secesh horses, whose riders they had laid low, to prevent their recapture by the enemy. At four o'clock P. M. he came into camp amid the congratulations and even tears of friends. A number of his corps had, however, become separated from their fellows, and did not get in till to-day, two of them being quite severely wounded. I believe there are now but three of them missing, one of them being of Bracken's Cavalry. Capt. C., while being an object of commiseration when he came in, presented rather a ludicrous appearance, having lost his overcoat, and the right leg of his pants being torn to shreds from one extremity to the other, and having his under garment drawn over the same, but failing to cover more than half the breach. His left foot was shoeless, with its toes protruding through its stocking, and he as wet as a “drowned rat,” from the bushes and the terrific and protracted rain storm of the previous night.

Here I must make “honorable mention” of little John Kelley. He is a little, hardy, sinewy boy of the age of about nine years, small of his age, and nearly always at the captain's heels. He was with him on this long tramp and in this sanguinary struggle, and is reported to have looked over his gun (for he carries one) at Mr. Secesh, and then coolly cut off his knapsack and carried it away. Company E--the brave and esteemed Capt. Willard's Crescent City Guards, under First Lieut. Junod, the captain being officer of the day — on the previous evening had been picketed on the hill three miles in our advance. Early in the morning they were cut off and fired into by about five hundred of the enemy, and they fell into ambush; but not knowing that they were entirely cut off, and by such a force, George Weinder, of Evansville, started to Headquarters for reinforcements, but had gone but a few rods when a heavy volley from the roadside was poured upon him, and he fell dead. Then at the earnest solicitation of a private, who has performed some daring feats with the enemy, the lieutenant sallied forth to give them battle. But they had proceeded but a few paces in the road, when a galling fire from far superior numbers fell upon them, which they returned; but the esteemed Junod, at the head of his column, received a ball through the upper portion of the head, and fell dead upon the ground.

The remainder seeing themselves cut off and assailed by such odds, who were then charging on them, scattered into the almost impenetrable forest on the opposite side of the road, each one to take care of himself. One, however, who had the lock of his gun shot off, seeing that escape was out of the question, threw up his hands and fell on his face as if dead, and the enemy's forces retreated “double quick” over him and the dead, stepping on his back and limbs, taking his gun, and passing quickly away, uttering the most horrid imprecations concerning Yankees and abolitionists. Looking out of one eye slightly opened, he saw when they were gone, then arose and came to camp. One of the foemen, however, did turn aside to pursue Ira Duncan, of Evansville, cheering for Jeff. Davis. But he not being of the proper material either to run from or surrender to a single traitor, when his pursuer was within a few feet of him, turned round, and they both at the same moment raised their guns to their faces, but Mr. Secesh was too slow, and Ira went on his way unmolested. At this writing, all but five of [138] this company are in camp. Two are killed and three missing. Company A, Capt. Foote, at an early hour was sent to Cheat River bridge, to deploy up the river, taking their position one and a half miles up it from the bridge. Lieut. Robert Catterson, with a small detachment, was sent up still further, and he again sent two men in advance, when they saw the rebels coming up with two of the twenty-five men who had been taken prisoners. The two advances selected each his man, and pulled trigger, one of them previously, as he said, “uttering a short prayer for his victim,” whose chest was then burst open by his annihilating Minie ball; the other man's gun failing to discharge, they took the two living secesh prisoners, and recaptured the two Ohio boys. Indeed, I believe there were a few men of the Twenty-fourth Ohio who came up and rendered slight service at the conclusion of the action.

This afternoon the remains of Junod and Weinder were carried in by their companions in peril, they refusing to permit the ambulance, which accompanied them, to carry them. They were buried with decency and honor. So also was John Templeton, of Company D, whom the enemy shot through the ear, stunning him, and taking him prisoner, and afterward bayoneting him through the head, it appears, because he proved an incumbrance to them.

Communication is open again with Headquarters at Wagner's, we being reinforced this afternoon by the Thirteenth Indiana and Third Ohio. The enemy seems driven from our rear.

Wagner was attacked yesterday morning also, but repulsed them by a few rounds. Soon after the attack in our rear, there appeared on the hill, three miles east of us, quite a force, and continuing there nearly ever since, wondering, doubtless, why they cannot see their forces in camp, so that they can rush to the onslaught.

A glorious victory! We have, (that is, our regiment,) at this writing, but three killed and five missing, and not half a dozen wounded. All our regiments have not lost more than twelve. The enemy's loss we cannot exactly determine, though it cannot be less than one hundred, twelve of them being prisoners. Our men, actually engaged, did not amount to more than one hundred and fifty.


--Cincinnati Gazette, Sept. 23.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
John Templeton (8)
August Junod (8)
John T. Wood (7)
George S. Rose (6)
M. Green (6)
G. D. Wagner (5)
Nathan Kimball (5)
William C. Williamson (4)
J. J. Reynolds (4)
D. J. Higgins (4)
J. W. Brooks (4)
Coon (3)
Bracken (3)
Wing (2)
John Sullivan (2)
Secesh (2)
L. B. Richards (2)
Richard Owen (2)
Humphrey Marshall (2)
R. E. Lee (2)
N. Kimball (2)
W. A. R. Jones (2)
David J. Higgins (2)
Harron (2)
C. S. Greene (2)
Martin Green (2)
J. C. Gilbert (2)
A. H. Foote (2)
Leonard Daum (2)
Coons (2)
R. Clark (2)
Christopher (2)
Bedford (2)
Robert Anderson (2)
George Winder (1)
Charley Willard (1)
Charles White (1)
Werner (1)
George Weinder (1)
John A. Washington (1)
Virginians (1)
John Truxill (1)
Abram Thrapp (1)
Jefferson Thompson (1)
Henry Thomas (1)
John Taylor (1)
Taliafero (1)
Alfred F. Stump (1)
F. Spooner (1)
Singer (1)
John Sims (1)
Shaffer (1)
George L. Rice (1)
Benjamin G. Owen (1)
Adolph Myer (1)
A. Murray (1)
Robert R. Moss (1)
J. F. Morris (1)
Merrill (1)
McCutcheon (1)
Manon (1)
George Manny (1)
Mahan (1)
Loomis (1)
Robert E. Lee (1)
Lamb (1)
Kline (1)
John Killgannon (1)
Jonathan Kilgannon (1)
Kent (1)
John Kelley (1)
John G. Hovey (1)
Heck (1)
Hascall (1)
George L. Hartsuff (1)
W. Harrow (1)
R. Hadden (1)
Gillman (1)
R. B. Forbes (1)
Ewald (1)
G. T. Edwards (1)
Dyer (1)
Jonathan Dunn (1)
Ira Duncan (1)
Patrick Driscoll (1)
Doc (1)
Edward Dehan (1)
E. L. Dean (1)
Jefferson Davis (1)
George L. Daum (1)
Dalzelle (1)
Frank Cooner (1)
Comparet (1)
Robert Catterson (1)
George Carpenter (1)
Benjamin F. Butler (1)
Henry Burnet (1)
H. C. Brity (1)
James Bense (1)
George Bebber (1)
Andrew M. Arthur (1)
David Ammen (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: