previous next

Doc. 4.-affairs at Huntersville, Va.

The correspondent of the Cincinnati Commercial gives the following account of the dispersion of the rebels, and the destroying of their stores at Huntersville, Western Virginia, by a detachment of Federal troops, from General Milroy's command:

headquarters Twenty-Fifth Ohio regiment, Huttonsville, Va., Jan. 7, 1862.
The Huntersville expedition, of which I telegraphed you yesterday, was so successful in its result, and so damaging to the rebel army in these parts, that it merits a more extended notice, and having recovered somewhat from the fatigue of a hundred miles' march, I will try to give some of the chief incidents of the winter march through the mountains, and the extensive conflagration of the famous city of Huntersville, which, after the fashion of Virginia towns, is decidedly an eight-by-ten institution.

And first, in order that the reader may know what and where Huntersville is, I will premise [12] by saying that it is the county-seat of Pocahontas County, near fifty-two miles from this point, and forty-odd from Staunton, and it derives its chief importance from the fact that it has been employed as the central depot for supplies for the rebel army of Western Virginia. Being the nearest point to the Staunton railroad, supplies were wagoned there, and thence distributed to the rebels at whatever points they needed them. Gen. Lee's army, during its inglorious career in these parts, drew its supplies from this source. Having authentic information that large supplies of provisions, etc., were still stored there, under guard of several hundred cavalry and infantry, and conceiving that it would be a good thing to destroy the provisions, and, if possible, capture some troops, or whip them out, Gen. Milroy determined to send a sufficient force to do it.

The force detailed for this service was composed of four hundred of the Twenty-fifth Ohio, three hundred of the Second Virginia, and a detachment of thirty-eight from Bracken's Indiana cavalry, under Lieut. Dalzell; the whole force being under command of Major Webster, Twenty-fifth Ohio; Major Owens, Second Virginia, had the immediate command of the Virginians. Capts. Askew, Williams, Washburne, Johnson, Green and Crowell, and Lieuts. Higgins, Houghton, Jones, Bell, Berblus and Blandy, Twenty-fifth Ohio, commanded the Ohio boys; but I do not know the company officers of the Virginians.

Tuesday afternoon--the last day of the waning old year, 1861--we left camp, and turned our faces toward the interior of the Old Dominion. And a beautiful day it was, and beautiful scenery, even in mid-winter, greeted us.

Precious little rest did any of us get New Year's night. It was freezing cold, and seemed as though all the mountain storms had concentrated in one terrific gale of wind, which poured through the open valley in which we camped, with mighty, resistless energy, the entire night. We had big fires, but they seemed to do little good, and I assure you, that there were very few happy or good-natured soldiers that night, and we were thankful when morning came, so that we could leave. At the blast of the bugle, we again took up our line of march, and proceeded twelve miles, and again camped for the night, at the foot of Elk Mountain, in a most beautiful pine grove, the rich, green tops of which were so thickly crowded together as to obscure the lurid glare of our fires, while beneath this natural covering of pines, the most animating scene, fit for an elegant picture, presented itself. Here we were compelled to leave our ambulances and wagons, under guard, in consequence of an impassable blockade of the road by the “Secesh.” They had fallen heavy timbers across the road for a mile and a half up the mountain side, and neither man nor beast could get through. So, getting ready Friday morning, we set out for Huntersville, fourteen miles distant, followed a mountain-trail around the blockade, until, on the top of Elk Mountain, we again struck the main road. The boys were in excellent condition, and were entertaining themselves with speculations about the probable events of the day, as Major Webster intended to attack the place that afternoon. Seven or eight miles this side of the town, we came across some suspicious-looking men, whom the Major took along with him. All along the road, it was amusing to observe the look of surprise which the residents gave our column as it passed by. The visual organs, especially of the female population, were considerably protruded, as they would suddenly discover the long line of blue overcoats winding along the road, a sight they had never before seen in that section, being accustomed to the gray coats of Secessia.

At last, about one o'clock, we neared the bridge which spans Greenbrier River, six miles this side of Huntersville, where, our scouts had reported, we should first encounter the rebels. We halted, to let the cavalry pass, who were sent forward to attempt to cut off the rebel pickets at the bridge, and then moving forward soon struck the river about half a mile from the bridge. The cavalry moved forward quickly and crossed the river considerably above the bridge. At this point the valley is pretty wide, composed of meadow land, and as our cavalry, under Lieut. Dalzell, dashed up the bank and hastily formed for a charge down through the fields to cut off the rebels from retreating to Huntersville, the rebels discovered them and ran; the greater part being infantry, could not escape our cavalry on the Huntersville side, so they took the Lewisburg road and made fast time up the mountain side. The rebel cavalry, however, retreated to Huntersville, and the race across the bottom, between our cavalry and theirs, was decidedly exciting — the rebels flying at full speed, and our men, in good order, were charging in line of battle down the valley at the top of their horses' speed. The rebels, however, had the shortest road, and made good their escape. Leaving Capt. Williams, Co. C, Twenty-fifth Ohio, with eighty or a hundred men, to hold the bridges, Major Webster moved forward on Huntersville, then distant six miles, and we marched rapidly. The road leaves the Greenbrier River at the bridge, and strikes back through the mountains. When within two miles of the town, as we were moving along a mountain side, our advance guard was fired on by some rebel cavalry, who immediately retreated as fast as their steeds could carry them. Moving forward cautiously, we soon struck a valley which opened before us, and in which Huntersville is situated, being in a sort of square formed by two of these valleys crossing each other. As we went forward, through a field, we discovered a number of the rebels at a sharp bend in the road, and they immediately got in position behind a bank and opened a brisk fire on our column. They were dismounted cavalrymen, and used Sharp's carbines, the balls of which came whizzing past us, making quite lively music. I thought, then, that they intended to make a struggle to maintain their ground, and, knowing that their force was equal to, if not larger than ours, I thought the prospect was good for a respectable [13] fight. Major Webster threw out a line of skirmishers, and our boys replied pretty effectively to their fire, and they retreated. We had not advanced far until we discovered a large force of cavalry, drawn up in a field, in our front and across a stream of water. Companies A and B, of the Twenty-fifth, were deployed to the right, and opened fire with their Enfields, whereupon the cavalry turned tail and retreated again, but halted and formed again on a level plain, to reach which they had to ascend a sloping piece of ground. Here we supposed they would make a desperate stand, as the ground was well adapted to the movements of cavalry; and as the space between the opposing forces was good for a charge, I imagined that as our line advanced, they would come thundering down upon us in true Murat style. And, indeed, with the number of cavalry drawn up in line before us, if they had made an energetic charge they could have done us considerable damage. Our boys were crazy for the order to forward. Ever since the first fire they had been wild with excitement, and had made the mountain ring with their cheers as the rebels retreated. Major Webster directed Major Owens, of the Second Virginia, to go to the left with the Virginia boys, turn the enemy's right, and attack them in the rear. As the Virginians filed past the Twenty-fifth to its position, the boys of each regiment cheered each other vociferously, and pledged themselves to conquer or die. Then the word was given to forward, and with cheer upon cheer, away we went on doublequick, and away also, before our impetuous charge, but with greater speed, went the chivalric Southern cavalry back to Huntersville, which was now revealed to us for the first time. Pausing a moment at the top of the ascent to let the men take breath, we could see several companies of infantry drawn up in the town, about half a mile distant. Again we moved forward, and the picture was quite lively to see; to our left across the fields, the Virginians advancing on doublequick towards the town, while our own regiment was moving forward on a charge, and the cavalry occupying the space between the two divisions, and all cheering lustily and full of determination to clean out the town. We went flying into town; the Major on horseback at the head of the men, swinging his cap and cheering, and everybody else seeming to exert himself to create as much noise as possible. But the rebels had fled before we reached the town, the cavalry flying out the road towards Staunton, and the infantry scattering through the woods in a very promiscuous and unmilitary style. With loud cheers we rushed through the street, and, as we gained the opposite side of the town, the boys saw a few badlyscared rebel infantry, and began blazing away at them as they ran up the hill-side. In the midst of the firing a young woman (and a handsome one at that) suddenly sprang from behind a log, and ran across the field towards her home, frightened almost to death, and leaping like a deer, (or dear,. if you please.) So soon as she was discovered the firing ceased, and there ended the fighting; part of the programme. We had killed one rebel and wounded seven, among the latter a captain, and had one of our boys, a member of Company E, Twenty-fifth Ohio, shot in the wrist. Thus we had achieved an almost bloodless victory, driven the rebels back from three different points where they had taken their stand, and now have possession of their depot of supplies.

And now we set about seeing what we had gained by the triumph. It did not take long, for Huntersville is not the most extensive city in America, nor the most beautiful. In fact, it was a very contemptible place, both in size and appearance, and in Ohio would be sneered at if it should aspire to the dignity of a county-seat. It has one church, a jail, and court-house — not remarkable for its architectural beauty; a dozen or fifteen dwellings, and three hotels, the latter being the best buildings in the town. It has been used chiefly for the quartering of troops, the citizens having nearly all deserted it some time ago. One or two families were still there, and from them we learned that there were about four hundred cavalry, and two companies of infantry stationed there to guard the rebel supplies. One cavalry company was from Memphis, Tenn., and was finely equipped. All of them were armed with Sharp's carbines and sabres. They were apprised of our coming the night before, scouts having seen us as we took dinner on Thursday, 17 miles back. Capt. Alexander, of Tennessee, who commanded the post, at once sent a messenger to the rebel Camp Baldwin, on the Allegheny mountains, and also despatched couriers through the country to collect and bring in the militia, who met them to the number of two or three hundred, swelling the rebel force to seven or eight hundred. We had not more than five hundred men, when we got to Huntersville, having only seven hundred originally, and at least two hundred of these had been left to guard various points in our rear. Capt. Alexander made his boast that he could whip us, but the result showed differently. The militia, or, as the boys say, the “flat-footed militia of Pocahontas County,” wouldn't stand fire, as they scattered like sheep at the first sound of a gun. We would have pursued, and might have secured a few infantry prisoners, but Major Webster wisely determined that we had better burn their supplies and return before the rebels had time to throw a superior force from Camp Baldwin in our rear, and thus cut off our return. There were two roads leading from that camp to the road by which we had to return, one striking it ten miles this side of Huntersville, and the other coming into it at Big Springs. The Major found five or six of the largest buildings filled with ample quantities of provisions, and at first he determined to take them from the buildings in order to save the latter, but finding it impracticable, he caused them to be set on fire, and seeing them far enough enveloped in flames to make their destruction certain, we set out on our return. As Huntersville receded from our view, the flames were leaping heavenward, and dense volumes of smoke rolling above, from this hole of [14] Secessionism, a just vengeance for its crimes, and from the top of the court-house, the Stars and Stripes--the “flag of beauty and of glory” --were floating gaily in the air, telling the criminal traitors who infested the place that the power of the American Republic was yet in existence.

We left Huntersville about five o'clock in the evening, and marched back ten and a half miles that night, making nearly thirty miles we had marched that day, besides the exhaustion consequent upon the excitement and labor of our skirmishing and charging about Huntersville; and to make it harder, a cold, chilling rain and sleet began to fall about dark, and, when we halted for the night, the boys' guns were covered with a thick coating of ice. So you can imagine that we needed rest, and we got it in barns that night. The next day we marched to Big Springs, where we met another force of our men and Second Virginians, under Lieutenant-Colonel Richardson, of the Twenty-fifth Ohio, who had come out to hold that point and protect our return. Sunday night we got to Elkwater, and Monday at noon we reached here, when the boys gave three hearty cheers for Major Webster, who, in a brief speech, thanked the officers and men of the Twenty-fifth Ohio and Second Virginia for their gallant conduct, and then we set about getting rested.

The expedition was successful in every particular, and to show that we did “secesh” considable injury, let me state that, according to inventories of the stores on hand at Huntersville, made out a few days before, which Major Webster has in his possession, we destroyed three hundred and fifty barrels of flour, thirty thousand pounds of salt, (a precious article with the rebels,) about one hundred and fifty thousand pounds salted beef, they having just finished killing and salting three hundred cattle, two thousands pounds coffee, large quantities of sugar, rice, bacon, soap, candles, forage, etc., the value of which may be fairly stated at from twenty-five to thirty thousand dollars. Besides this, we secured a large number of Sharp's carbines and sabres, two or three rebel flags, and a vast number of other articles. I regretted that we could not get our wagons clear through, so that we could have brought away at least a portion of the provisions.

The officers and men of the entire force reflected great credit on themselves, by their bearing throughout. The march was excessively severe. We were gone just six days, and marched one hundred and four miles--“Virginia miles” --which every soldier will testify are twice as long as any civilized mile, and this, too, in the depth of winter, over miserable roads. Major Webster endeared himself to all by his manly, soldierly bearing, and reflected great credit on himself, by the success which crowned his plans. No better officer can be found in the service. He is a true gentleman, possessing those qualities which fit him for command, and also those which draw the affections of his men to him, and make them feel that he is their friend, and for such a man they will fight to the death.

Doc. 5.-the fight at Hancock, Va.

A correspondent gives the following account of this affair:

Hancock, Jan. 10.
So many “reliable reports,” which have had not the shadow of foundation, have been sent-your paper, that, for the sake of truth and justice, we purpose giving you something from the “seat of war.” The Fifth Connecticut regiment, which had been camping within a mile of Hancock, were ordered back to Frederick, and marched from here on New-Year's day. On the 3d inst., the Massachusetts Thirteenth regiment--Companies A and B from Hancock, Company E from Sir John's Run, six miles above, and Company H at Little Orleans, sixteen miles west — were ordered back to Williamsport. This left the Thirty-ninth Illinois stationed thus: Three companies at Alpine Depot, opposite Hancock; two companies at Bath, six miles south; two companies at Sir John's Run, three miles from Bath, and two companies at Little Cacapon, (or Little Orleans, the writer does not know which.) In addition to these, there were at Bath the first section of Best's Artillery, Lieutenant Muhlenberg commanding, and Company A of First regiment Home Brigade, at Little Cacapon Bridge, on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. The withdrawal of the Fifth Connecticut and the four companies of the Massachusetts Thirteenth was duly noted by the rebel scouts, and gave such excellent opportunity for them to again break up the railroad, that they could not resist the invitation. Accordingly, on Saturday, 4th, they came in force toward Bath. Major Mann, of the Thirty-ninth Illinois, and forty men were on a scout several miles below Bath, toward Winchester, and discovered the advance guard just in time to save most of his men. Their retreat was partly cut off, eight men were captured by the rebels, one killed, and the rest, with their Major, made good their retreat to Bath.

The guns were already fixed on a hill commanding the numerous roads centring in Bath, and began a good work as soon as the rebels came in view, holding them in check until reenforcements were sent for to Sir John's Run, at which point the Thirteenth Indiana regiment had just arrived, (one P. M.)

News came to Hancock, to the Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania regiment, which had arrived the day previous, a few hours after the Thirteenth Massachusetts left. They were unarmed when they came, and the last arms had just been given them when the order to march was given.

I omitted to mention that Lieutenant Stewart, with forty men, was sent from Hancock, from Captain Patterson's company of Cavalry, First Virginia regiment, on Saturday morning, to Bath. It was this part of a company which bore the several messages.

Colonel Murray, with the Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania, hastened over the river to the rescue of [15] the Thirty-ninth Illinois. But, unfortunately, the new, greasy guns were unfit for use — not one in five would fire. For this or some other reason, the Colonel, who took precedence in command, at once ordered the cannon off the hills into the road leading to Hancock. It is reported he did not inform the companies of the Thirty-ninth Illinois of his intention to retreat further; consequently, when ordered to fall back, they left their camp-equipage, stores, and all they had, in the hands of the rebels.

The whole force then fell back to the road leading to Sir John's Run. Here the Thirteenth Indiana and Captain Kenssel's company of Cavalry, First Virginia Regiment, met them. The retreat was, however, kept up, the cannon keeping the rebels at bay. In the mean time Lieut. Stewart returned to Bath, not knowing of the retreat until he found himself confronted by the whole column of rebels, part of whom fired, killing three horses. Two of the men took to the woods, one mounted a rebel's horse which had been captured and escaped, one of the two afterward returned to Hancock, the other is doubtless a prisoner among the rebels, making nine in all, and two killed; one more was drowned in crossing the river, as several companies of the Thirty-ninth had to wade it. The rest returned in safety to Hancock. The rebels have lost in all at least twenty killed, but nothing certain is known. The presence of the rebels on the hills opposite was heralded by the firing of two shells at the Protestant Episcopal Church, which was at the time occupied by a small worshiping congregation, and being lighted made it quite a prominent object. After quiet was somewhat restored, Captain Patterson, in order to learn their further intentions, gave them, by order, a few shells. This caused them to fire upon the town at least twelve or fifteen shells, showing their malicious spirit. The guns from the Federal side were back of the town, near the Protestant Episcopal Church, but the range of their guns was upon the town itself. This, of course, produced the utmost consternation among the women and children. Fortunately “nobody was hurt.” The cannonading continued for an hour, and was a beautiful sight indeed. The whole town was quickly illuminated by the burning of a barn on the Virginia side, belonging to the notorious rebel, Johnston Orrick, a member of the rebel Virginia Convention, elected a Union man, but turned a traitor.

The object of the rebels soon became apparent by the burning of railroad ties and the tearing up of the railroad. But, strange to say, they did not destroy the regimental stores of the Thirty-ninth Illinois, stored at Alpine Depot, nor did they remove them, though completely in their power. They perpetrated a shameless act of vandalism on Monday night by plundering the house of a Union man, Mr. Henry, at Alpine Depot, and then burning it to the ground. However, as an offset to this, they consumed with it the store-building of those notorious rebels of Hancock — Bridges & Henderson, who have given the loyal citizens of that place, as they say, more trouble than any enemies on either side of the river.

But I anticipate. On Sunday morning a flag of truce was brought over from the rebels to Gen. Lander, who had arrived a few hours previous, coolly demanding the surrender of the town, or its bombardment in an hour. Orders were given inhabitants to leave, which was quickly obeyed, and at 12 M. the Federal guns, three in number, opened on the five planted on the hill opposite. Several rebels are known to be killed by ours, but theirs did no damage whatever, and did not seem to be aimed at the town. They withdrew on Tuesday. We have no fears of their return to Hancock.

The rebels have done but little damage. The bridge at Little Cacapon was only partially destroyed, and may be repaired in a day. They were repulsed at all points above that. Their attack seems to have been all along the line, but by no means a successful one. If we had but the generals to lead us, and the quartermasters to provide us regular food, we could drive them out of the Valley of Virginia. They will not stand and fight at any other point than Manassas, and are not prepared to hold Winchester. Why can we not go after them as readily as they can after us?

Rebel account of the battle.

Camp Nary Camp, near Ungoe's Store, Morgan County, Va., Jan. 10, 1862.
General Jackson's command is now stationed in the woods around and about here, and as there has been no name given to the encampment, I have christened it “Nary camp,” for we are in the wilderness, each regiment choosing the best ground it could, and no regularity has been observed in laying off the encampment.

This command left Winchester on the first day of January, and proceeded on the Romney road a short distance, when it filed to the right and marched towards Morgan County. The weather the first day was pleasant, but dusty; the second day was very cold, and as the road was a very bad one, our wagons were unable to keep up with the troops, and the men had to lie out on the ground, without covering and without any thing to eat. On the morning of the third day the wagons caught up, and the force was allowed a short time to cook and eat, and then again they proceeded on the march, the weather being very cold and the troops suffering much.

After passing another night with little rest we again proceeded on our journey, the weather being now intensely cold, and to add to our sufferings, it commenced snowing rapidly about the middle of the day. The troops, however, continued on until within about four miles of Bath, a small village, when our advance, consisting of Colonel Gilham's brigade, came upon a scouting party of the enemy, which fired into them, and which was promptly returned by Company F, of Richmond, and Company B, of Baltimore, putting the Yankees to rout. Lieutenant Payne, of Company F, was seriously wounded in the [16] neck, and private William Exall, of the same company, wounded in the leg, which had to be amputated, and which, I regret to say, has since caused his death. Our army now encamped for the night, and such a night I never desire to witness again. The snow, rain, and hail fell the whole night, and we had again to endure it without blankets or covering of any kind; but the men were so fatigued nature could hold out no longer, and down they would drop on the wet ground, and sleep as well as they could, having made large fires. The roads were now almost impassable, in consequence of the sleet and ice, and the horses with difficulty kept their feet. It was late Saturday morning before the wagons could reach us, when another opportunity was given the men to cook and eat something.

Another start was made on Saturday morning, and in a short time afterwards the sound of cannon announced our approach to Bath, where a force of the enemy had taken up winter quarters. As we advanced on them, they continued firing on us, doing no damage, however. A portion of our force was deployed to the left, for the purpose of charging their batteries, which the enemy no sooner saw than they spiked their two batteries, and ran helter skelter through the town and down the road to the Maryland shore, a distance of six miles, a portion of Ashby's cavalry in hot pursuit, and the infantry and artillery following rapidly after; but so swift-footed were theirs movements that our cavalry did not reach them until they got to the banks of the Potomac, where they had got in ambush, and as our cavalry advanced, they fired a volley into them, wounded three of those gallant men seriously, a lieutenant having received shots in both arms and in the breast.

The cavalry then fell back to the main body, and a piece of artillery was ordered forward, and taking its position, it shelled the woods with grape and canister. It was now late in the night, and the whole force was ordered back a short distance, with the exception of the Twenty-third Virginia, Lieutenant-Colonel A. G. Taliaferro, and the First Georgia, Colonel Thompson, and a battery, who were ordered to remain as a picket-guard; and there they remained standing in the road, with no fires, and so intensely cold that numbers fell in their places and had to be borne to the rear. The soles of the shoes actually froze to the ground, and the suffering of the men was awful to witness; but still there was little complaint, and all were eager to meet the enemy who were so close to us.

Sunday morning, about daybreak, found the Potomac river and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad directly in front of us, half a mile distant, with the pretty little town of Hancock on the opposite shore, in Maryland, where the enemy, in considerable force were quartered. General Jackson, early in the morning, sent a flag of truce by Colonel Ashby, to the authorities of the town, notifying the inhabitants to vacate the place, as he intended to bombard it, and gave them two hours to do so. Our batteries were then placed in position, the remainder of the force being still in the rear, excepting the Twenty-third and First Georgia, who still remained within range of the enemy's guns.

At the expiration of the time allowed, our batteries opened on the enemy's batteries, which they faintly replied to, their shots falling short. Our guns kept up a brisk fire for about an hour, and the firing then ceased on both sides for the day. Not a man hurt on our side; on that of the enemy we were unable to tell. For reasons known to himself, General Jackson concluded not to burn the town, and did not fire a shell into it for that purpose.

Monday morning the enemy commenced the ball, and having no doubt been reenforced during the night, their shot and shell fell thick and fast all around us, without, however, doing any damage, save wounding severely a Tennessean in the face and head. Our pieces did not reply at all to their firing; but a large number of the troops were busily engaged in carrying off from the enemy's Commissary Department, which was on this side of the Potomac, large quantities of army stores, clothing, shoes, etc., which was done with considerable exposure, as the house was in range of the Yankees' muskets, and occasionally they would fire shells at the buildings.

While this was going on in the main road, Rust's Third Arkansas, Fulkerson's Thirty-seventh, and Marye's Hampden battery were ordered at Bath to take a road to the left of the main body, and proceed in that way to the Potomac and burn the Capon bridge and tear up some of the railroad track. In marching down they were ambuscaded by the enemy, but the two regiments nobly stood their ground, and the gallant Thirty-seventh charged them at the point of the bayonet, which, of course, the enemy could not stand, as they are decidedly opposed to cold steel. Our regiments then proceeded to perform their work — the destruction of the bridge — in the execution of which they were at first annoyed by the enemy's long-range guns, until Marye sent them howling away by a few well-directed charges of grape and shell. They succeeded in burning the bridge, tearing up some of the railroad, and then returned to the main body on Monday. They lost in the engagement two men in each regiment, and several wounded. Colonels Rust, Fulkerson, and Carson, and Majors Manning and Williams, were in the thickest of the fight, and nobly led their men on; but their gallant men did not need much enticing to engage their hated foe. I regret to say that Captain Alexander, of Company I, Third Arkansas, lost an arm in this engagement. Both of these regiments belong to Colonel Wm. B. Taliaferro's Fourth brigade, and the other two--Twenty-third and First Georgia--were on picket-duty from Saturday night till Tuesday morning, when our army proceeded to return, having accomplished its object.

The result of this expedition, as far as I am able to sum up, is as follows: The capture of thirty or forty prisoners, the driving of the enemy from this part of Virginia's soil, the capture of a number of guns, overcoats, clothing, shoes, four [17] wagon-loads of fine dressed leather, and a number of other articles, the destruction of a fine bridge and a portion of the railroad track.

The sufferings of the troops have been intense, and several have died from exposure to the cold and inclement weather. There are large numbers now sick, and one brigade reports five hundred and thirty-two on the sick-list.

We reached our present encampment Wednesday night, and are now waiting further orders. Where we are going next and what we are to do, deponent knoweth not.

Brigadier-General Loring met with an accident yesterday, by his horse slipping upon the ice. He was badly bruised, but I am pleased to say that his injuries are slight.

Marye's battery, Company F, and the Sharpshooters, from your city, are with this army. The men are in tolerable health, I believe, and have behaved well. Colonel John M. Patton, Jr., is also with us, and in good health.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
January 1st (2)
January 10th, 1862 AD (1)
January 7th, 1862 AD (1)
1861 AD (1)
January 10th (1)
3rd (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: