every effort be made to increase the domestic manufacture of all kinds of ordnance and ordnance stores.
In arranging for the manufacture of arms and munitions at home, establishments of two different kinds were placed in operation: those which were intended to be permanent, built and equipped for their special purpose and intended to concentrate work on a large scale, and those of a more temporary character, capable of yielding results in the shortest time, and intended to meet the immediate demands of the war, with such resources as the country then afforded.
The first of the permanent works undertaken was a first-class powder-mill, the erection and equipment of which were placed in charge of Colonel George W. Rains
, of North Carolina
, a graduate of the United States Military Academy in the class of 1842.
The mill was placed at Augusta, Georgia
, and its construction was commenced in September, 1861.
The plant was ready to begin making powder in April, 1862, and continued in successful operation until the end of the war, furnishing all the gunpowder needed, and of the finest quality.
Competent critics say of this mill, that, notwithstanding the difficulties in the way of its erection and maintenance, it was, for its time, one of the most efficient powder-mills in the world.
Another permanent work erected was a central ordnance laboratory for the production of artillery and small-arms ammunition and miscellaneous articles
of ordnance stores.
This was decided on in September, 1861, placed in charge of Lieutenant-Colonel J. W. Mallet
, and located at Macon, Georgia
It was designed to be an elaborate establishment, especially for the fabrication of percussion-caps
, friction-primers, and pressed bullets, in addition to heavier ordnance supplies.
Special machinery was made in England
and shipped, but did not reach its destination in time for use. A large instalment including a most powerful pair of engines, had reached Bermuda
when blockade running practically came to an end, near the close of the war.