previous next

[226] operating around Charleston Harbor. On July 15th, the Departments of Virginia and North Carolina were united, and on August 1st, the Seventh Corps, including Getty's division of the Ninth, was merged in the Eighteenth. The other commanders of the corps were Brigadier-General I. N. Palmer, Major-Generals B. F. Butler, W. F. Smith, Brigadier-General J. H. Martindale, Major-Generals E. O. C. Ord, John Gibbon, Brigadier-General C. A. Heckman, and Brevet Major-General Godfrey Weitzel. In April, 1864, this corps, with the Tenth, formed the Army of the James. It fought a series of battles after reaching Bermuda Hundred-especially that at Drewry's Bluff. Later in May, the corps joined the Army of the Potomac at Cold Harbor, in which battle it was very prominent. Then it returned to Bermuda Hundred and was very active in numerous engagements around Petersburg until December 3, 1864, when it was discontinued. The white troops were merged in the Twenty-fourth and the colored ones in the Twenty-fifth Corps.

Major-General John Gray foster

(U. S. M. A. 1846) was born in Whitefield, New Hampshire, May 27, 1823. He rendered able service in the Mexican War, taught engineering at West Point, suporintended Government works, and was one of the officers garrisoned at Fort Sumter during the siege. He distinguished himself at the capture of Roanoke Island and at New Berne: assumed chief command of the Department of North Carolina, the Department of Virginia and North Carolina, the Department and Army of the Ohio, and the Department of the South. He became major-general of volunteers in July, 1862. Being mustered out of the volunteer service in 1866, he, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel of engineers, continued his work on important engineering projects of the Government. He died in Nashua, New Hampshire, September 2, 1874.

Brevet major-general John Henry Martindale

(U. S.M. A. 1835) was born at Sandy Hill, New York, March 20, 1815. He resigned from the army the year after leaving West Point, but, offering his services at the outbreak of the Civil War, he was made brigadier-general of volunteers in August, 1861. He was brigade commander in several corps of the Army of the Potomac, and in February, 1863, took charge of the troops in the District of Washington—a portion of the Twenty-second Army Corps. In May, 1864, he was assigned to a division in the Eighteenth Army Corps, and for a short period in July, during the early operations against Petersburg, he had command of the corps itself. On September 13th, he resigned from the service. The brevet of major-general of volunteers was conferred upon him on March 13, 1865, in recognition of his services at the battle of Malvern Hill (1862). He became attorney-general of the State of New York, and died at Nice, France, December 13, 1881.

Major-General William Farrar Samith

(U. S. M.A. 1845) was born in St. Albans, Vermont, February 17, 1824, and taught mathematics at West Point. In the early days of the Civil War he served on the staffs of Major-Generals Butler and McDowell. His commission as major-general of volunteers was dated July 4, 1862, to which rank he was recommissioned March 9, 1864. After leading a brigade and division in the early organization of the Army of the Potomac, he head divisions in the Fourth and Sixth corps, and commanded the latter in the battle of Fredericksburg. After heading the Ninth Corps for a short time, he went to the Department of the Susquehanna and later—in 1863—became chief engineer of the Army of the Cumberland, where he rendered valuable assistance in the relief of Chattanooga. In May, 1864, he took command of the Eighteenth Corps in the Army of the James and led it at the battle of Cold Harbor, where it had joined the Army of the Potomac. He resigned from the volunteer service in 1865, and from the regular army in 1867, with the brevet of major-general. He became president of the International Telegraph Company, and was president of the board of Police commissioners in New York City, 1877. After that, he practised civil engineering. He died in Philadelphia, February 28, 1903.

Brigadier-General Charles Adams Heckman

was born in Easton, Pennsylvania, December 3, 1822. He served in the Mexican War, and went to the Civil War as lieutenant-colonel of the Ninth New Jersey Infantry. He became a colonel and had a brigade in the Department of North Carolina, where, after being made brigadier-general of volunteers, he had a division in the Eighteenth Army Corps. Later, he had charge of the District of Beaufort and the defenses of New Berne and at Newport News. On May 16, 1864, at the head of a brigade he was captured at Drewry's Bluff. He had temporary command of the Eighteenth Corps in September, 1864, and was temporary commander of the Twenty-fifth Army Corps, January-February, 1865. He resigned from tle service in May, 1865, and died in Philadelphia, January 14, 1896.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: