A town in the province of Santiago
, on the Caribbean Sea
, a few miles west of the entrance to the harbor of Santiago
It was here that General Garcia
, the commander of the Cuban army, established his camp just before the opening of the Santiago
campaign in 1898.
The United States fleet arrived off Santiago
on June 21, and as soon as possible General Shafter
and Admiral Sampson
went ashore and arranged with General Garcia
for the co-operation of the Cubans under his command.
The landing of the United States troops and the operations of the American
army from that time till the surrender of Santiago
were greatly facilitated by General Garcia
and his army.