A city, county seat of Ramsey county
, and capital of the State of Minnesota
; on both sides of the Mississippi River
, with the principal portion on the east bank, and the two parts connected by bridges.
Four trans-continental and seven Eastern trunk line railroads pass through or extend to it, giving it exceptional importance as a shipping point.
The site was first occupied by the whites by a small French colony, principally engaged in the fur trade, and its name was derived from the Roman Catholic
of St. Paul
, established in 1841. Six years afterwards the settlement was plotted; in 1849 the town was made the territorial capital; and in 1854 it was given a city charter.
Its remarkable development is due to its location at the head of navigation on the Mississippi
as well as to its railroad connections.
Population in 1900, 153,065.