This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Rio Grande, erected in 1846. and named in honor of Maj. Jacob Brown. U. S. A. It was built by General Taylor immediately after his arrival at the river opposite Matamoras with a part of the army of occupation (March 29, 1846), and was designed to accommodate 2,000 men. It was placed in command of Major Brown. Taylor was ordered by General Ampudia, commander of the Mexican forces at Matamoras, to withdraw within twenty-four hours, as he claimed the territory around Fort Brown belonged to the Department of Tamaulipas. a part of Mexico. Taylor refused to do so: and when he had gone hack to Point Isabel with a part of his forces, leaving Major Brown in command. Arista crossed the river with some troops to attack the fort. His army was hourly increasing in strength. On the night of May 4 the Mexicans erected a battery behind the fort. and early the next morning opened a heavy fire from it upon the fortification. At the same time the batteries at Matamoras, which had fired upon the fort on the 3d, hurled shot and shell, but with little effect, for Brown had erected bomb-proof shelter. Almost at the beginning of the bombardment, the gallant commander was killed. The bombardment continued thirty-six hours, when Arista demanded a surrender of the fort. It was refused, and towards evening (April 6) a heavy tempest of shot and shell fell upon the fort. The fort withstood the attack until relieved by approaching troops under General Taylor. See Mexico, War with.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.