Architect; born in Fairhaven, Mass.
, Sept. 25, 1832; was educated at Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.
; graduated at the Ecole Centrale
des Arts et Metiers, Paris
, in 1856.
He also studied art and architecture in Paris
studios in 1858-59.
On his return he was commissioned a captain in the United States army; was assigned to engineer duty; and served on the staff of Gen. U. S. Grant
from the battle of Cairo
, and then on that of Gen. W. T. Sherman
until 1866, receiving the brevet of major in 1864; he settled in Chicago
as an architect in 1868; was landscape engineer for the West Chicago parks in 1870-71; invented the skeleton construction (now generally used in tall buildings) in 1883; and was the architect for the Union League Club and the Siegel & Cooper Building, in New York City; The Fair, and the Horticultural Building
at the World's Columbian Exposition
, in Chicago
, and other notable structures.