previous next

Sandy Creek, battle of.

There was great anxiety felt in the spring of 1814, to have the Superior, ship-of-war, built at Sackett's Harbor, hastened for sea, lest Sir James L. Yeo would roam over Lake Ontario the unrestricted lord of the waters. Heavy guns and cables destined for her were yet at Oswego. The roads were almost impassable, and the blockade of Sackett's Harbor made a voyage thither by water a perilous one. The gallant master-commander, M. T. Woolsey, declared his willingness to attempt carrying the ordnance and naval stores to Stony Creek, 3 miles from Sackett's Harbor, where they might reach Commodore Chauncey in safety. On May 19 Woolsey was at Oswego with nineteen boats heavily laden with cannon and naval stores. The flotilla went out of the harbor at twilight, bearing Major Appling, with 130 riflemen. About the same number of Oneida Indians agreed to meet the flotilla at the mouth of Big Salmon River, and traverse the shore abreast the vessels, to assist in repelling any attack. Woolsey found it unsafe to attempt to reach Stony Creek, for the blockaders were vigilant, so he ran into Big Sandy Creek, a few miles from the harbor, under cover of a very dark night, and landed the precious treasure there.

The British heard of the movement, and, [49] ignorant of the presence of Major Appling and the Indians, proceeded to attempt to capture the flotilla on the Big Sandy. That stream wound through a marshy plain about 2 miles, and at that time was fringed with trees and shrubs. Among these Major Appling ambushed his

Place of battle at Sandy Creek.

riflemen and the Indians. Near Woolsey's boats were stationed some cavalry, artillery, and infantry, with field-pieces, which had been sent there from Sackett's Harbor. The confident Britons, sure of success, pushed up the sinuous creek with their vessels, and strong flanking parties were thrown out on each shore. The guns of the vessels sent solid shot upon the American flotilla and grape and canister among the bushes. These dispersed the cowardly Indians, but young Appling's sharp-shooters were undisturbed. When the invaders were within rifle-range the riflemen opened destructive volleys upon them, and at the same time the artillery on shore opened a furious cannonade. So sharp and unexpected was the assault, in front, flank, and rear, that the British surrendered within ten minutes after the first gun was fired in response to their own. They had lost a midshipman and seventeen men killed, and at least fifty wounded. The Americans had one rifleman and one Indian warrior wounded, but lost no life. They captured the British squadron, with about 170 officers and men as prisoners of war. A ponderous cable for the Superior, 22 inches in circumference, and weighing 9,600 lbs., was borne to the harbor in a day and a half, on the shoulders of 200 militiamen, carrying it a mile at a time without resting.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)
hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
Appling (4)
M. T. Woolsey (3)
James Lucas Yeo (1)
Melancthon Taylor Woolsey (1)
Oneida Indians (1)
Isaac Chauncey (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1814 AD (1)
May 19th (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: