A city and capital of the State of New Jersey
; originally settled under the name of Yeffalles of ye De la Ware
A number of members of the Society of Friends, including Mahlon Stacy
, purchased land here in 1680, and large plantations were bought by Judge Trent
in 1715, which caused the settlement to be called Trent Town.
The place was created a borough town by royal charter in the middle of the eighteenth century, and the town became the State
capital in 1790.
After the Revolutionary War
the Continental Congress once met here.
The city is best known historically because of the decisive battle fought here (see Trenton, battle of
). The event has been commemorated by a memorial shaft erected at the old Five Points
, and surmounted by a statue of Washington
directing his troops.