Architect; born in Petersham, Mass.
, June 26, 1783; removed to Boston
in 1804, and there became a skilled wood-carver.
In 1815 he turned his attention to carving in stone and was engaged to ornament many of the public buildings in Boston
; was selected as architect and superintendent of the Bunker Hill Monument, Nov. 2, 1825.
He completed this work July 23, 1842, and in the following year, on the anniversary of the battle, a celebration was held in which the President
of the United States
and his cabinet and citizens from all parts of the country participated.
He introduced the first granite paving-stones ever used in Boston
, and proved the value of granite as a building material.
He died in Quincy, Mass.
, Feb. 27, 1862.