East and Christian Union
In October, 1875, Mr. W. G. Clapp
began missionary work in the easterly part of Cambridgeport
, and established the next year a Sunday-school, which gradually increased.
In order to build a suitable hall for the enlarging work, a fair was held in 1888, and about $2000 was raised.
The present corporation was formed in 1889. Mr. John H. Walker
became superintendent of the Sunday-school in 1890.
The building was erected in 1891 at a cost of about $4000, and is free from debt.
In September, 1892, it was decided that the Union
should be kept open day and evening, and that a superintendent should be employed to devote his whole time to the work at the building and in the neighborhood.
was secured to fill this position, and the result has been a steady increase of the usefulness of the Union
In January, 1896, a gymnasium, bath-room, and workshop were established in the adjacent building.
The Union building is located on Brewery Street, in Cambridgeport
, between Main and Washington streets, and near their junction.
There is a large hall, and in it, and in three smaller rooms, most of the classes are held.
The superintendent cooperates with the Associated Charities
All cases of need are immediately provided for.
The front room on the first floor is well supplied with reading matter.
There is also a lending library of one thousand volumes.
Visitors are always welcomed.
The new rooms at the corner of Main Street accommodate the gymnasium, bath-room, and workshop, which are open afternoon and evening.
The Triangle Club of the Union
, consisting of boys divided into senior and junior members, makes use of these rooms.
The officers at present are: president, Rev. T. F. Wright
, 42 Quincy Street; vice-president
, Rev. Alexander McKenzie
, 12 Garden Street; treasurer, Frederick W. Rogers
, 5 Craigie Street; secretary, Miss Helen L. Bayley
, 133 Austin Street.