previous next

[348] Broadway, Market, Clark, Hampshire, and Davis streets was purchased, and buildings erected, as follows:—

A foundry 175 by 75 feet, a machine shop 52 feet wide and 300 feet long on the first floor, 150 feet on the second and third floors, and a wareroom and pattern storage building, 160 by 60 feet, three stories high. The new quarters were ready for occupancy by the spring of 1891. The machinery from the Boston shop, as well as that from the foundry and shop in Cambridge, was moved in and set up.

In 1893 the firm was incorporated under the laws of Massachusetts, under the name of Barbour, Stockwell Co.

Various causes have combined to bring about a rapid increase in the volume of business since the consolidation was effected. The increase in the last five years has been more than one hundred per cent., a large part of which is due to the impetus given to street railway building by the introduction of electricity as a motive power. With the new system heavier cars were brought into use, and the old track, which had been good enough for horse-car service, was found to be altogether too light for the heavier cars and increased speed of the new method.

It soon became necessary to replace all the tracks with heavier rail, and new and improved types of special work replaced the old as rapidly as they could be procured and laid. Nor was the demand for new material confined to the old roads. New enterprises in street railway building were inaugurated in every section of the country, and this soon became a favorite form of investment.

While this company furnishes but a small part of the great aggregate of the material used in this industry, and has to meet the competition of much larger concerns in the West, still it has a large and growing trade in this class of work.

In the foundry it has a capacity of thirty to forty tons of gray iron casting a day, and furnishes a large amount of cast iron work to the machinery and building trades of Boston and vicinity. In the machine department it designs and builds a great variety of special machinery, and does a general jobbing and repair business. The number of men employed varies with the season, from two to three hundred, and the pay-roll from two to three thousand dollars a week.

Rawson & Morrison manufacturing Co.

The Rawson & Morrison Manufacturing Co. are designers, patentees, and manufacturers of hoisting-engines, coal-handling machinery, boilers, stationary engines, electric hoists, fertilizer dryers, hydraulic pumps and presses, special and general machinery.

It is a well-known fact that Boston was the birthplace of the portable hoisting-engine. As early as 1835 the necessity for handling

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Places (automatically extracted)

View a map of the most frequently mentioned places in this document.

Sort places alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a place to search for it in this document.
Massachusetts (Massachusetts, United States) (1)

Download Pleiades ancient places geospacial dataset for this text.

hide People (automatically extracted)
Sort people alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a person to search for him/her in this document.
George W. Rawson (2)
John G. Morrison (1)
Boston (1)
Walworth O. Barbour (1)
hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
1893 AD (1)
1891 AD (1)
1835 AD (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: