Second regiment Massachusetts Heavy Artillery.
（1) Col. Jones Frankle
, Bvt. Brig. Gen.
U. S. Vols.
|Field and staff.||Line.||A||B||C||D||E||F||G||H||I||K||L||M||Unassigned Recruits.||Totals.|
|Number on regimental rolls,—|
|Enlisted men (included above) commissioned in regiment.2||7||–||3||1||4||3||–||–||1||1||1||3||2||1||–||27|
|Enlisted men (included above) serving elsewhere within regiment.||–||–||–||2||11||–||1||3||–||–||1||–||1||–||–||19|
|Actual total of members of regiment,—|
The 2d Mass. Heavy Artillery was organized in the summer of 1863, and assigned to service in the department of Virginia and North Carolina.
The 1st Battalion, consisting of Cos. A, B, C and D, left the State
September 5 for New Berne, N. C.
, and was stationed at the forts in the vicinity of that city, being joined in November by Cos. E and F.
The remaining six companies left the State
Jan. 8, 1864, and were stationed at various forts in the same department.
In March, 1864, the headquarters of the regiment were at Norfolk, Va.
, where four companies were also stationed, the remaining companies still serving at forts in Virginia
and North Carolina
Almost all the members of Cos. G and H, stationed at Plymouth
under captains Ira B. Sampson
and Joseph R. Fiske
, were taken prisoners in the engagement, April 17-20, and the survivors, 35, were released and joined the regiment in the early part of 1865.
In May, 1864, headquarters were changed to New Berne, N. C.
, and in August 375 recruits were added to the regiment, more than filling its ranks, the surplus men being transferred to the 17th Mass. Infantry.
In the autumn the organization lost many men by disease during the yellow-fever epidemic in New Berne and vicinity.
In March, 1865, five companies, under Lieutenant Colonel Sprague
, took part in the engagement in the vicinity of Kinston, N. C.
, and were for a time on guard at Kinston
In June the regiment was for a time united at New Berne and remained there until July, then served in detachments at Wilmington, N. C.
and Fort Fisher
; on Sept. 15, 1865, it returned to Massachusetts
, and was mustered out and discharged Sept. 23, 1865.