, of Woburn
, in 1648, bought of Roger Shaw
a farm in the northwesterly part of Camb
), including ‘all the meadow adjoining to the great swamp near the east corner of Concord
bounds, that falls in Cambridge
The Shawshine River
runs from this ‘great swamp,’ on which Mr. Bacon
is said to have erected, before ‘Philip's War’ in 1675, a mill, which was very recently, if it is not now, standing.
He had a son Michael
, and is supposed to have been the ancestor of the large family of his name, in Bedford
, brother of Michael
(2), was early in Bridgewater
, and owned land there, ‘which he sold to his nephew, Michael Bacon, Jr.
, of Billerica
He ‘was one of the jury for laying out highways in 1664, and is mentioned
again in 1668, but the family early left the town.’
. In 1668, he purchased a house and 6 acres near Angier
's corner, about which time he probably came to Cambridge
His w. was Mary, dau. of Thomas Read of Colchester, Essex Co.
; and their children, recorded here in 1674, but prob.
all born in Bridgewater
, were Isaac
, b. 14 Ap. 1650; Rachel
, b. 8 June 1652; Jacob
, b. 2 June 1654; Lydia
, b. 6 Mar. 1656-7.
They had also son John
, to whom the father gave deed of land in Watertown
, Feb. 1678-9, ‘in observance of the last will and testament’ of his grandfather Read.
Daniel the f. was a tailor, and d. 7 Sept. 1691.
3. Jacob, s. of Daniel
(2), by w. Elizabeth
, had Elizabeth
, b. 26 Mar. 1677-8, d. 6 Ap. 1678; Jacob
, b. 9 Ap. 1680; Elizabeth
, b. 27 Mar. 1682; Ruhamah
, b. 8 Ap. 1686.
, Samuel, m. Hannah Belcher
, 2 Sept. 1678.
Sarah, m. Caleb Dana, Jr.
, 24 May 1756.
, had a grant of land in Aug. 1634, and resided at the S. E. corner of Garden and Mason streets.
His name appears in the records under an unusual variety of forms,—such as Bambrige, Bambrigg, Bainbrick
, Banbridge, Banbricke
, Banbrook, and Benbricke.
He was buried 10 Ap. 1645.
His w. Justice subsequently exchanged the homestead, with William Towne
, for a house on the east side of Dunster Street, between Harvard and Mt.
Auburn streets, which she sold to Nathaniel Hancock
, 6 Oct. 1666.
She was living, and received alms of the church, 1670.
No account of posterity has been found, except the incidental remark in the Church
Record, that Jane
, the first wife of Capt. Samuel Green
, was ‘daughter to the foresaid Justice Bainbrick
, Roger, in 1639, purchased house and half an acre on the south side of Brattle Street, not far westerly from Ash Street. He d. 28 Nov. 1653, leaving w. Elizabeth
, but apparently no children.
His w. must have had uncommon attractions, it would seem; for she successively m. three additional husbands, to wit, Martin Saunders
, 23 May 1654, Deac.
John Bridge of Camb
in 1658, and Edward Taylor
She was living in 1685, as appears by a receipt indorsed on her marriage contract with Deac.
Bridge, acknowledging the full payment of her claim on his estate.
The receipt is dated 23 Dec. 1685, and signed by ‘Timothy Pratt
, tailor, attorney and by order of Edward Taylor
and Elizabeth his wife, the relict of John Bridge deceased, within named.’
, John, in 1635, owned house and eight acres, extending from Brattle Street to Garden Street, embracing a part of the Craigie estate; but, within two or three years, he sold to John Bridge, and his name disappears from the record.
, William, m. Sarah, prob.
dau. of John Poole
of Reading, and wid. of Joseph Champney
, 19 Aug. 1656.
She d. 21 Aug. 1661, and he m. Mary Barnard
16 June 1662; she d. 28 Mar. 1673, and he m. Mary, dau. of Nathl.
, 8 Oct. 1673; shed.
27 Oct. 1673, and he m. Margaret—— who survived him. His children were Lydia
, b. 17 Sept. 1657, m. Arthur Cole
27 Nov. 1673, who d. 4 Sept. 1676; John
, b. 6 Feb. 1660-61; William
, b. 3 May 1665; Edward
, b. 8 Jan. 1667-8; Samuel
, b. 7 Feb. 1669-70; Bartholomew
, b. 1 Ap. 1672, d. 6 May 1672; Margaret
, b. 4 Mar. 1675-6, m. Giles Roberts
, b. 28 Jan. 1678-9; Bartholomew
. William the f. was a tailor, and resided on the west side of Dunster Street, the second lot from Harvard Square, which he purchased of William French
10 June 1656, together with the lot on the opposite side of the street.
He d. 17 Mar. 1688-9, aged about 60.
, had by w. Lydia, son Thomas
, b. 17 Dec. 1672.
removed to Marlborough
3. William, s. of William (1), by w. Hannah
, had William
b. 1695, bap. 17 Jan. 1696-7; Hannah
, bap. 7 Mar. 1696-7; Elizabeth
, bap. 21 May 1699; Hannah
, b. 23 Mar. 1700-1; William
, bap. 30 May 1703; John
, b. 9 July 1706; Daniel
, b. 28 Feb. 1708-9.
William the f. was a tailor, resided on the homestead of his f. and d. about 1730.
4. Edward, s. of William (1), was a cordwainer, and called of Bos. 1705,
and of Camb
1708, apparently unm. at both dates.
No further trace of him has been discovered, unless he was the same who united with the sons of his brother William, in 1740, in a sale of land.
, s. of William (1), m. Rebecca Warland
dau. of Owen
), 23 July 1706, and had Rebecca
, bap. 18 May 1707; Thomas
, bap. 17 Aug. 1712; Bartholomew
, b. 27 Dec. 1713.
Bartholomew the f. was a mariner.
7. William, s. of William (3), by w. Mary, had