Old Highways-1660 to 1708.
from the town records.
The broad street or Highway from ye old Fortifications on ye neck, Leading into ye Town as far as ye Corner of ye Late Deacon Elliots House
, Orange street.
The way below ye Late Deacon Elliots
barn leading from Orange street Eastward by ye sea-side, Beech street.
The way Leading Easterly from Deacon Elliots Corner
, by ye Late Deacon Allens
, extending to wind mill point, Essex street.
The way leading from ye Late Elder Rasford's Corner in Essex street, extending southerly in Beach st. and so down to ye sea, Ransfords lane.
The way leading from ye late Capt Prarys Corner, extending Westward to ye bottom of ye Common wth a Turn Southerly down to ye sea, (Frogg lane.)
The street from ye Corner of ye House in ye Tenure of Capt Turfey, nigh Deacon Elliots
corner leading into Town by ye house of Saml Sewall, Esq
r as far as Doct
s Corner, Newbury street.
The new Alley
between Mr Blyns
& Durants on Newbury street leading westerly into ye Comon, (Hogg alley.)
The street Leading Easterly from Wheelers Corner to Newbury street, passing by ye Towns watering place, as far as Capt Dyers Barn, Pond street.
The way leading from Esq
r Ushers Barn southwardly into Essex street, Short street.
The way Leading from ye Lower end of Pond Street northeasterly into Church Green
by Sumer Street, Blind lane.
The way from Cowels corner in Newbury street Leading westward into ye Comon, West street.
from Ellises Corner nigh ye uper end of Summer street, leading westward into ye Comon, Winter street.
The street Leading Easterly from Doctor Oake
s his Corner to Newbury street, passing by ye dwelling house of Capt Tim
, extending to ye sea, Summer street.
The street from Baxters corner to Sumer street Leading southerly by ye Late Deacon Allen
s extending down to ye sea, South street.
The way from Bull
s Corner to ye lower end of Sumer street Leading Southerly to Wind Mill point, Sea street.
The Broad Street
leading from Penemans Corner at ye head of Summer street, passing by ye South Meeting House to Hough
s Corner, Marlborough st.
The way leading from Briscoe
s Corner in Marlborough street passing by Justice Bromfields
to ye Comon, Rawsons lane.
The way Leading from ye south Meeting House
passing by Mr Borlands & Madm Olivers & so down to ye sea by Hollaways.
Leading southerly from Southers Corner to Milk street to Capt Clarks Corner in Sumer Street, Bishops alley.
Leading so-Easterly from Mr Borlands Corner in Milk street to Beards Corner in Cow lane, Long lane
The street where Mr Daniel Oliver
now dwells passing from Milk street up to Fort Hill
, Oliver street.
The way leading from Fort Hill
southerly to Moreys Corner in Summer street, Cow lane.
The way from ye Lower end of Summer Street Leading North Easterly by ye sea side, with ye return up to ye rope walks, Flounder lane.
by Wharton's House in Cow lane, leading Easterly into Harrisons Rope walks, Crooked alley.
The way from John Roberts House in Cow Lane, Leading Easterly by Capt Bonners into ye Rope walk, Grindley's lane.
The way from ye uper end of Cow lane, Leading Easterly, passing by Mr Joseph Hubberts
down to ye sea, Gibbs lane.
The way leading from ye Northerly side of Fort Hill
, passing down Easterly by ye old Draw House in to Batterry March, Sconce lane.
The way leading from Holloways Corner by ye end of Milk street, passing by ye Batterry, extending to ye lower end of Gibbs lane, Battree March
The way leading Southerly from Gibbs lane on Fort Hill
, passing by Drinkers to ye Rope Walke
, Belchers lane.
The way from Houghs Corner Leading Northwesterly by ye Latin Free School, extending as far as M(rs) Whitcombs Corner, School street.
The way Leading from Mrs Whitcombs Corner ye House of Capt. Fairweather
westerly through ye upper side of ye Comon and so down to ye sea, Beacon street.
The way Leading from Beacon Street on ye uper side of ye Comon unto Mr Alleus Orchard, Davis lane.
The way leading from Beacon street between Capt Allens Land
and Madm Shrimptons Pasture, up to Centrey Hill, Centrey street.
The street from ye Lower end of School Street Leading Northly as far as Mr Clark
ye Pewterer(s) shop, Corn hill
The way Leading from a Tenement of Capt Clark
's, nigh ye lower end of School street to Winslows Corner in Joylieffs Lane, Spring lane.
The street leading from Cox
s ye butchers shop in Cornhill
, passing by Major Walleys
, as far as Mrs Olivers Corner
, Water street.
leading from ye end of Water street through Mrs Olivers land, by Odells onto Milk Street, Coopers alley.
The way leading from Water street passing between Major Walleys
& M(rs) Bridghams Land into Milk Street, Tanners lane.
passing from Water street in to Milk street, according to ye name by whch it hath been formerly known, Joylieffs lane.
The way leading round ye old Meeting House
, Church square.
The street Leading from corn hill including ye wayes on each side of ye Town House
extending easterly to ye sea, King street.
The street leading from Mr Deerings Corner in Cornhill
to Houchens Corner at ye uper end of Hanover street, Queen street.
The way leading from ye Mansion House of ye Late Simon Lynde
r by Capt Southlacks extending as far as Coll
o Townsends Corner, Tri-Mount street.
The way Leading from Mylnes Cor., near Colla Townsends, passing through ye Comon along by Mr Sheafs
into Frog Lane, Comon street.
leading from ye Comon Eastly on ye North Side of Madm Ushers House, Turnagain alley.
The way Leading from ye Exchange in King Street, passing by Mrs Phillips
into Water Street, Pudding lane.
The way Leading from King street by ye House of Isaac Addington
r Wth ye return into Pudding Lane, Half-square court.
The way Leading from Maccartyes Corner on King street to Elder Bridghams warehouse in Water street, Leverets lane.
The way leading from Justice Drummers Corner
in King street, passing over ye Bridg
as far as Mrs Dafforns corner in Milk street, Mackrill lane.
The way leading from ye House formerly ye Castle Tavern in Mackrill Lane, passing by Mr Hallaways wharf to ye sea, Crab lane.
The way leading from ye sign of ye Orange
tree, passing by Mr Stephen Minots
to ye Mill pond
and from thence to ye Lower end of Cold Lane, Sudbury street.
The way Leading from Emmens Corner, passing by Justice Lynds
pasture, extending from thence westerly to ye sea, Cambridge street.
The way passing on ye northerly side of Livery stable in Justice Lynds
pasture to Me Allens Farm House, Green lane
The way from Mr Pownings Corner by Dock Square Leading southerly into King street, Crooked lane.
The square from the house of Eliakim Hutchinson Esq
r to M(r) Pembertons corner on ye one side, & from Kennys shop to Me Meers Corner on ye other side, Dock square.
Leading from Capt. Savages Corner
in Dock Square in to Madm Shrimptons Corner in King street, Shrimptons lane.
The way Leading from Mr Meers corner along by ye side of ye Dock as far as ye corner of ye warehouse formerly Major Davises
, Corn market.
leading from Me Mountforts in corn Market to Capt. Fitchs
corner in King street, Peirses alley.
The way Leading from Justice Palmers
warehouse to corn Market up to Moorocks buildings, Corn court.
The way leading from Madam Butlers Corner
at ye lower end of King street to ye swinging Bridg
, & from thence to ye lower end of woodmansies wharf, Merchants row.
The way Leading from Platts Corner Northwesterly, passing by ye Green Dragon to ye Mill Pond
, Union street.
The street from between Houchens Corner and ye sign of ye Orange
tree, Leading Northerly to ye Mill Bridge
, Hanover street.
The way Leading from Mr Pembertons Corner at ye end of Dock square, to Justice Lyd
s Corner in Hanover street, Wings lane.
The way Leading from ye middle of Wings Lane to Mr Colemans Church & from thence two wayes, viz.: southerly to Queen street and East to Dock square, Brattle street.
The new way Leading from Mr Pollards Corner in Brattle street through Mr Belknaps yard into Queen street, Hillers lane.
The way leading from Mr Harrises corner, by Hanover street, North Westerly down to ye Mill Pond
, Cold lane.
The way Leading from Capt. Ballentines
corner nigh to ye Mill Bridg, to ye corner of Capt Fitch
s Tenement in Union street, Marshalls lane.
The way leading from Brooks Corner in Marshalls Lane, passing by Mr Bulfinches to Scottows Alley, Creek lane.
The way Leading from creek Lane
to Capt. Bows Corner
in Union street, Salt lane.
The way Leading from creek Lane
to Mr Webbs Corner in Union Street, Marsh lane.
The way Leading from the sign of the star in Hanover street, passing Northward behind Capt. Evertons
house, Linck alley.
The way from ye Conduit in Union Street Leading Northerly over ye Bridge to Ellistons corner at ye lower end of cross street, Ann street.
The way from Mr Autrams Corner nigh ye Conduit Leading from thence North East
by ye side of ye Dock as far as Mr Winsors Warehouse, Fish market.
The new way from Union Street passing SouthWesterly between ye buildings of ye late Capt. Christopher Clarke
deceased, Minots court.
by Capt. Habijah Savages
in Ann street Leading North Westerly to creek Lane
, Scottows alley.
The way between Winsors & Mrs Pembertons in Ann street, Leading to ye warfs by ye swinging Bridg
, Swing-bridge lane.
The street from Mountjoys corner at ye Lower end of cross street, leading Northerly to ye sign of ye Swan
by Scarletts Wharfe, Fish street.
The-leading North westerly from Mr Thomas
's Corner in Ann Street, Paddys alley.
The street Leading from ye Mill Bridg Northerly as far as Mr Jonas Clarks Corner
at ye end of Bennett Street, Middle street.
The way Leading Northerly from Stanburyes corner nigh ye Mill Bridg, as far as Mr Gees Corner into Prince street, Back street.
The way leading from ye Mill Pond
South Easterly by ye late Deacon Phillips
stone house, extending down to ye sea, Cross street.
The way Leading from ye North Westerly end of cross Street, passing Northerly by verings house nigh ye Mill Pond
, Old way.
The lane by ye house of ye late Capt. Tim
deceased, Leading from Middle street to Fish street & so down to ye sea, Wood lane
The way from Wales Corner in Middle street Leading Northwesterly into Back Street, Beer lane.
Leading from Ann street between ye late Capt. Lakes
& Nanneys buildings to Mr Indicotts shop in crosse street, Elbow alley.
Leading from Fish street to Middle street between ye lands of John Clark Esq
r and ye successors of Sam1 Gallop deceased, Gallops alley.
The street leading North Westerly from Morrells corner in Middle street passing by Mr David Nortons
, extending to ye salt water at Ferry way, Prince street.
The street Leading Northerly from y e Easterly end of Bennett street nigh M r Jonas Clarks
, extending to y e sea, North street.
The street Leading from Williams Corner nigh M r Jonas Clarks South Easterly
down to y e sea by Scarletts Wharfe, Fleet street.
leading Northwesterly from y e North Meeting house into Middle Street, Bell alley.
The square lieing on y e south ly side of North Meeting House including y e wayes on each side of y e Watch house, Clark square.
The way Leading South Easterly from y e North Meeting House into Fish Street, Sun court.
The way leading from y e North Meeting House Northerly by Capt Thomas Barnerds
into Fleet Street, Moon street.
The way leading Northerly from Mad m Winsleys Corner between coll o Fosters & Mr Fitzzells
into Fleet Street, Garden court.
The street leading Northerly from Evertons Corner nigh Scarletts Wharfe to y e North Battery, Ship street.
The way Leading North Westerly from y e North Battery to y e Ferryway by Hudson
s Point, Lyn street.
The way Leading along y e shore from Hudson
s Point So West ly to y e Mill Stream by M r Gee
s building yard, Ferry way.
The street leading North West ly from M rs Ransfords Corner to North street, towards the Ferry point
, Charter street.
The way Leading from Corwithys corner in Prince street to M r Phipp s corner in Charter Street, Salem street.
The way Leading Northerly from Travises corner to Prince street, to y e end of Ferry-way by Hudsons Point, Snow hill
The way Leading So East ly From Snow Hill
to Salem Street, Hull street.
The way Leading North Westerly from M r Jonas Clarks
corner to Salem street, Bennett street.
The way leading North-Westerly from Capt. Steven
s Corner in North street, with y e return into Bennett street, Love lane.
Leading from Charter street down by Benj
in Lyn street, Sliding alley.
Leading from y e burying place in Charter street to Adkins Lime Kiln in Lyn street, Lime alley.
The way Leading from Charter Street down by 1 Mrs Buckleys
into Lyn street, Henchmans lane.
Leading from Charter street down through Mr Greenough
s building yard into Lyn street, Greenough
Leading from North down by y e Salutation into ship street, Salutation alley.
leading from North street along by Mr William Parkmans
into Ship Street nigh the North Battreey, Batterry alley.
Leading from North Street down by Capt Richards Corner
in Ship Street
, White Bread alley.
Old streets, Extracts from City records.
Dock square, 1708; around the Town
dock, 1680, Adams square, 1880
Alden lane, 1792; Copeland
's lane, 1820; Alden lane, again, 1829, Alden street, 1846
's lane, 1733; 40-foot way front of the Rope-walks, Allen street, 1829
to May, 1733; West Cedar street, 1733; extended, 1833, Anderson street, 1861
Extended through Morton place to Milk street, 1873, Arch street, 1792
Extended across Oak to Pine, 1820; a part of Oak place, 1834, Ash street, 1809
South part Broad street, 1833; Flounders' alley, in part, 1708, Atlantic avenue, 1868
's lane, 1732; Coburn
's lane at one time, Avery street, 1827
's court; Central court, 1806; Avon place, 1824, Avon street, 1869
Ann to Fulton street, Wentworth lane, 1732, Barrett street, 1831
Berry lane, 1800; Second street, 1814; Napier street, 1863, Barton street, 1868
's lane, 1708; Horn lane, 1708; a part of Pearl street, 1873, Bath street, 1807
Battery alley, 1708; Daggett
's alley, 1789; North Ferry avenue, Battery street, 1826
Extended to Gibbs
' lane; included Crab lane, 1803, Batterymarch st., 1708
Orange to the water; extended east 1836-7; Essex
in part added, 1804, Beach street, 1708
Sentury Hill, 1708; Site of the State House
, 1795, Beacon Hill
Somersett to Davis lane; extended west, 1733-1803-1831; Western avenue added, 1865, Beacon street, 1708
In part, Blind lane, 1708; Pond lane, Rowe
's lane, 1803, Bedford street, 1820
In part, Purchase street, 1800; in part, Batterymarch at one time, Belcher
's lane, 1708
School alley, 1732; Grammar alley, 1795; Prince street avenue, 1833, Bennet avenue, 1839
Extended to Front street, 1805; from Washington
st. to Harrison avenue, Bennet street, S., 1732
Middle to Salem street, North School street, North Grammar School street, Bennet street, N., 1708
to Causeway; to Warren Bridge, 1848, Beverly street, 1807
In part, the Mill creek
; in part, Royal alley, 1732, Blackstone street, 1831
From Cambridge street, north, to Allen
's lane, 1806, Blossom street, 1805
to Meddlecott; Meddlecott included, 1824, Bowdoin street, 1803
West end of Court street included, 1807, Bowdoin square, 1788
Distilhouse square, 1743; in part, Ivers street, Bog lane, Adams street, 1846, Bowker street, 1868
, and Mill Pond
; built over, (Bowling Green
Orange to the Mall; extended west, 1846, 1865; Frog lane, 1708, Boylston street, 1809
Brattle alley; In part, Cooper's alley; Hiller
's lane, Brattle street, 1708
Cornhill, by the Church
, to Elm street; Brattle to Elm, 1820, Brattle square, 1800
From Broad to India street, unchanged, Broad street, 1808
Copper street, 1803; extended to Lowell street, 1833, and to Allen street, 1845, Brighton street, 1816
Flounders alley; in part, Sea street; many changes, extensions and cutoffs, Broad street, 1805
Over Fort Point
channel and O. C. railroad, Broadway bridge, 1869
's lane, 1708; Bromfield lane, 1796, Bromfield street, 1829
, and was a part of Boston
previous, (Brookline Town,) 1705
Bulfinch street to Meddlecott; called Clapp
's buildings at one time, Bulfinch place, 1805
to Middlicott; extended to Somerset place, 1818, Bulfinch street, 1800
From Tremont east, then north to Bromfield lane.
Built over, 1852, (Bumstead place,) 1807
, west to the water; then south to the Common; several changes, Cambridge street, 1708
Washington to Tremont; Davis street, 1810, Camden street, 1826
Union to Causeway; Haymarket square to Causeway, 1839, Canal street, 1807
Frog lane to Elliot
, to Pleasant, Haskins
included, Carver street, 1803
to the Harbor
; East Castle called Motte street, 1874, Castle street, 1722
, inclosing Mill Poud; Miller
's alley, 1733, west part; Walder street, 1819, Causeway street, 1807
Kilby to India street; to Atlantic avenue, 1876, Central street, 1807
Paddy's alley, 1708; Bull
's alley, Perryway's alley, Centre street, N., 1773
, extending north, 1812, 1823, 1844, 1872, Chambers street, 1732
's alley, 1708; Change alley, 1788; Fitch
's alley, 1796; Flag alley, 1828, Change avenue, 1841
Berry street, 1708; Barrack lane, 1768; Berry street, 1803, Channing street, 1846
From School street, south; Cook
's court, 1733, Chapman place, 1841
Chardon lane, 1743; Ivers street, 1859; extended to Merrimae, 1860, Chardon street, 1821
In place of Charlestown Ferryway
, 1631, Charles Riv. bridge, 1785
Beacon to Cambridge
, to Boylston
, 1809, extended north, 1841, 1859, 1866, Charles street, 1805
Union to Causeway, Haymarket square to Causeway, 1840, Charlestown street, 1807
From North street to Copp's Hill
to Commercial, 1803, Charter street, 1708
Merchants' row to Commercial street, Butler
's row, in part, 1789, Chatham street, 1825
Chauncy place. Bedford place, Rowe street, Chauncy place, 1809, Chauncy street, 1856
A part of Boston
, called Rumney Marsh
previous, Chelsea Town, 1738
Winnissimmet ferry, 1631, Chelsea ferry, 1738
From Walnut street, west to the water, Chestnut street, 1800
's alley, 1798; Sweetser
's court, 1809, Chickering place, 1855
Extended south, 1838; north, 1846 and 1852; a part Lincoln
court, 1820, Church street, 1828
's lane, 1732; extended to Commercial street, 1846, Clark street, 1788
to Margaret, Margaret avenue, 1814, Cleaveland place, 1814
, Summer, Short, and South
; built over, (Coffin's field,) 1775
Washington Gardens, previous Row, remains, Colonade gone, (Colonade row,) 1810
Long Wharf to Clinton
, 1825; extended north, 1829, 1833; in part, Lynn street, Commercial street, 1818
Washington to Tremont; Walker
's lane, 1741; Clough street, 1750; Nassau
, 1788, Common street, 1836
State to Milk; Quaker lane, Dalton
's lane, part Atkinson street; many extensions, Congress street, 1800
North Margin to Pond
; extended to Salem street, 1838, Cooper street, 1807
Between Snowhill, Charter and Lynn streets, Copp's Hill
From Corn Market south; opposite south side Faneuil Hall, Corn court, 1708
Court to Washington
; Market street, 1817, Cornhill street, 1828
Washington to Court square; Suffolk Inns, 1812; Suffolk avenue, 1820, Court avenue, 1837
Queen street, 1708; a part Centurie Hill and Prison lane at one time, Court street, 1784
Where Quincy market was built, 1826, (Cove, The) 1708
From Leverett street to Lechmere's Point; Canal bridge at one time, Craige
's bridge, 1786
Hancock row, 1826; Hatter's square, 1855; again Creek square, Creek square, 1803
; Franklin place, (Crescent
, The) 1792
From Mill Pond
to the sea; highway to Breeden
's wharf; Coney lane, Cross street, 1708
From Broad street to India street unchanged, Custom House st., 1804
Between Milk, Summer, Hawley
, and Federal, built over, (D. Costa
's Pasture,) 1708
Middlecott to Hancock
; Hill street at one time, Derne street, 1806
State to Milk; Pudding lane, 1708; Joylieff's lane, Black Jack alley; many extensions, Devonshire street, 1784
Orange court, 1823; Dutch lane previous, Dix place, 1846
's wharf at one time, Doane street, 1806
Washington to Back Bay
; a part South Bridge street, 1805, Dover street, 1835
Over the Mill creek
, Ann street, now part of North street (Draw bridge,) 1688
's island, Williams island
, and Noddle's island East Boston
From Chamber to North Russell street unchanged, Eaton street, 1795
Laid out by owners; extended 1750, 1784; to Columbus avenue, 1873, Elliot street, 1740
's lane, 1658; Wing's lane, 1708, Elm street, 1800
, 1805; Mill Pond street, 1807, Pond street, 1814, Endicott street, 1836
; extended 1731; Achamutty street, 1775; east end Beach, 1804 Essex street, 1808
's lane, 1708; Royal Exchange lane, and Exchange lane from 1879, Exchange street, 1816
In parts, Market sq., Fish Market, Corn Market, Sheep Market, 1708, Faneuil Hall sq., 1855
Tremont, south of West street, Colonade row, 1810; Tremont street, (Fayette place,) 1825
Union street to Mill Pond
, Link alley, 1708; built over, 1860, (Federal court, N.,) 1806
, 1708; extended to Purchase street, 1836; to South Boston Bridge, part of Sea street, 1856, Federal street, 1788
Sea street Bridge; South End; Sea street to South Boston
, Federal st. Bridge, 1828
's point, 1784; discontin'd; bridge built, 1786, (Ferry Way
Middle street to the water; Middle street to Ann; Scarlet's Wharf lane, 1789 Fleet street, 1708
Previously Cornhill; dug down, 1868, (Fort Hill
Where Fort Hill
was; Washington place, 1808; Washington square, 1837, Fort Hill
's lane, 1741; Fuller street, 1800; Brewer's Hill, 1803; Sliding al., 1708, Foster street, 1795
West part of the Common, levelled down about 1820, (Fox Hill
Court to Brattle
, Brattle alley, 1722; Dassett's alley, 1789, Franklin avenue, 1818
In parts, Vincent
's lane, 1777; Franklin place, Sturgis street, Baker
's alley, Hamilton court
, Franklin street, 1708
to Mill Pond
, separate lane, 1807; in parts, Minot
's court, Scott court, Friend street, 1733
From Fleet street to Bell alley, Garden court st., 1708
, 1708, from Bowdoin square to Chambers street, Green street, 1784
Greenough alley, 1708; Greenough lane, 1732; Greenough
's avenue, 1848, Greenough
's lane, 1858
's lane, 1708; Gridley
's lane, 1795; from Cow lane to Belcher
's lane, Gridley street, 1825
to May, 1807; to Pinckney
, 1834; to Myrtle, 1851, Grove street, 1729
Sconce lane, 1708; Sconce street, 1784; Batterymarch to Fort Hill
, Hamilton street, 1807
From Common street east, nearly opposite Park street, Hamilton place, 1806
West Boston Bridge, (Hancock Bridge,) 1793
; George street, 1732; at one time, Turner street, Hancock street, 1788
to Ann street; Methodist alley, 1796, Hanover avenue, 1829
's court, 1820; Robbins
' court, 1824; from Hanover street, Hanover court
, N., 1840
Queen street to Mill Bridge
, extended north, 1824-1836; Orange Tree lane early, Hanover street, 1708
White Bread alley, 1708; Bartlett street, 1826, Harris street, 1868
Rainsford lane, 1708; Front street, 1805; Essex street to Roxbury
, Harrison avenue, 1841
From Marlboroa st., opposite Old South Church, unchanged, Harvard place, 1820
From Orange to Sea; once called Hollis
, and Thaxter place; extended 1836, Harvard street, 1732
to Causeway, to Warren Bridge, Haverhill street, 1807
Tattle street; a part Chardon
lane, 1795; several changes, Hawkins street, 1732
's alley, 1708; Board alley, 1792; Richardson
's alley, Gilbert
's alley, Waybourn's lane, Hawley street, 1800
, between West and Mason, built over, 1810, Haymarket, 1789
Declination passage; Henchman
's lane, 1708; Day's lane at one time, Henchman street, 1850
Summer to Fort Hill
; a part, Cow lane, 1708; extended, 1875, High street, 1798
Broad alley, 1722; Harvard street at one time, but names exchanged, Hollis street, 1732
Court to Bulfinch
; Southac's court, 1732, Howard street, 1821
The north-east point of the town on Charles river
, (Hudson's Point,) 1708
to Burial-ground; Brown street to Lynn street added, 1828, Hull street, 1708
State to India Wharf; unchanged, India street, 1804
In Prison lane; built over, (Inner Temple
to Myrtle; Butolf st., 1733, Irving street, 1855
Belknap lane, 1787; Belknap st., 1803; extended, Joy street, 1851
Mackerel lane, 1708; Cooper
's alley, Miller
's lane, a part Adams st., 1825, Kilby street, 1769
Plymouth street, Short street included, 1838, Kingston street, 1800
Included in Elliot
, 1838; changed back, 1840; a part Marginal street, 1843, Kneeland street, 1732
Legrange place, 1828; Washington
, 1864, Lagrange street, 1864
Merrimac to Millford
, to Causeway street, 1841, Lancaster street, 1807
's point, to Cragie
's bridge, 1809, Leverett street, 1733
Junction of Kilby, Water, and Batterymarch streets, Liberty square, 1796
Charter to Lynn street, opposite the burial grounds, Lime alley, 1708
Summer to Essex
; extended south, 1836; to Lehi
, 1846, Lincoln street, 1795
to Green lane
, unchanged, Lynde street, 1732
East side of the Common, Mall, The 1790
to Sheafe street, Margaret lane, 1733, Margaret street, 1796
From Union street to Creek square, Marsh lane, 1708
Union to Hanover street, Marshall
's lane, 1708, Marshall street, 1821
West to Sheafe lane, 1809; part of Sheafe lane, 1834; site of Haymarket
, Mason street, 1795
Thirty foot passage, 1784, to Sheete st., 1788; South Allen, 1806, McLean street, 1829
to Ann; City court, 1822, Mechanic street, 1825
to Causeway street, unchanged, Medford street, 1807
to Town Dock, 1825; State to Ann street, Roebuck Passage, Fish lane, Swing Ridge lane, Merchants' row, 1708
Union to Causeway street, Merrimac street, 1807
North Battery, now Battery wharf, (Merry
's point,) 1646
Fort street, 1666; Marlboroa to Batterymarch, east, 1804, 1820, Milk street, 1708
About Copp's Hill
, (Mill Field
Within Salem, North Margin, Causeway, South Margin and Merrimac streets, (Mill Pond
to the water; Cart lane, 1733, Minot street, 1825
to Clark square; to Fleet, 1784; North square to Fleet, 1800, Moon street, 1708
to rear State House, to Charles; numerous streets added, Mt. Vernon
Across Fort Point
channel, Mt. Wash.
Extended 1814, 1851; Warren street, 1878; May street, 1796; Myrtle court, Zone street, Hill street, Myrtle street, 1806
Next north of Essex street, built over by Globe theatre, 1866, (Newbury place,) 1805
, east; jarvis row, 1805, Norfolk place, 1823
; Gouch street, 1822; Gooch lane, 1732, Norman street, 1877
Between Moon and Garden court and Clark square, 1708, North square, 1788
Ann street; formerly in parts Ship street, Fish street, Draw Bridge and Conduit streets, North street, 1851-4
Thatcher street to Baptist Church, 1821; to Salem street, 1841, No. Margin street, 1807
to Eaton street, unchanged, No. Russell street, 1795
Orange to Ash street; extended to Front street, 1827; to Lincoln
, 1837, Oak street, 1805
From Cross, by the Mill Pond
, to Ferryway, 1631; no trace left, (Old Way,) 1708
In Mackerel lane, now Kilby street, filled up, (Oliver's Bridge,) 1722
Milk to Fort Hill
; Oliver lane, 1789; in part, Gibbs lane, extended 1845, Oliver street, 1708
Otis place, 1812; from Summer to Devonshire street, Otis street, 1816
Tremont, opp. the Granary; trees planted 1762; removed, 1874, (Paddock
's mall,) 1777
Common to Beacon street; Centry street, 1784; Park place at one time, Park street, 1803
; Beer lane, 1708; Bridge lane, 1796; part of Richmond
, 1800, Parmenter street, 1870
Milk to Cow lane, Hutchinson lane, 1722; Palmer street, 1788; Green lane
, 1789, Pearl street 1800
's court, now Williams court, arch remains, (Peck
's arch,) 1800
and Tremont row, dug down, 1835, (Pemberton Hill,) 1814
Phillips place in part, formerly Pemberton Hill, Pemberton square, 1838
, Tremont place, 1805; built over, (Philips place,) 1829
Southac street, 1729; part George street, 1810, Phillips street, 1866
to Charles, to the water, Pinckney street, 1803
, Pitts lane, 1733, Pitts street, 1820
Laid out by Geo. Tilley
; Orange to the Common, Pleasant street, 1743
to the water, to Brighton, 1820; to Chambers
, 1859, Poplar street, 1800
to Mill Pond
; Cold lane, 1708, Portland street, 1807
Middle to Ferryway; Black Horse lane, 1698; extended to North square, 1833, Prince street, 1708
to Mill Pond
, formerly Prospect lane, Prospect street, 1812
Governor's alley, 1732; School to Bromfield
, Province street, 1834
From Marlboro, front of Old Province House, (Province House row,) 1818
A swamp formerly, rope-walks in part, Public Garden, 1837
Summer to Tilley
's lane; formerly Belcher
's lane; Town way, Purchase street, 1747
South Russell to Charles; May st., 1733, Revere street, 1855
to Back, to Fish
, 1820; Wood lane
's lane; now Parmenter
, (Richmond street,) 1800
to Hill street, Ridgeway lane, 1788
Between Essex and Pond sts., built over, (Rowe
's Pasture,) 1777
to Charter; Green lane
to Charter, 1824; Back street, 1708, Salem street, 1708
to Ann; Salutation alley, 1708, Salutation street, 1825
Cornhill to Somerset
; So. Latin school, 1759; Cornhill to Tremont
, 1803, School street, 1708
Scollay's Buildings, 1809; building removed, 1870, Scollays square, 1838
, 1834; Dover
to Castle, 1849; to Tremont
, 1870, Shawmut avenue, 1851
, 1806; unchanged, Sheafe street, 1732
to Charter street, at Hudson
's point, Snowhill street, 1708
From Southac's court to Beacon street, Somerset street, 1803
Summer street to the sea; to Beach, 1837; to Lehi
, 1852, South street, 1708
to Prospect street, unchanged, So. Margin street, 1807
Merchants' row to Commercial street; to Atlantic Avenue, 1872, So. Market street, 1825
Cornhill to Joylieff's lane; Washington
, 1824, Spring lane, 1708
; to Poplar, 1806; to Allen
, 1825, Spring street, 1733
Cambridge street to Green lane
, Staniford street, 1732
, both sides Town House
, to Long Wharf; King street, 1708, State street, 1784
Near St. Paul's Church, Common, Tremont street, (St. Paul's row,) 1826
From Beach street to Mill Pond
, to Charlestown street, Stillman street, 1807
Court to Howard
's alley, 1732; Fitch lane, 1800, Stoddard street, 1833
North part of Sudbury
, near Cold lane, Sudbury square, 1709
School to Mill Pond
; from Hanover
, 1708; Court to Portland
, 1850; to Merrimac
, 1851, Sudbury street, 1654
Marlboro to the sea, Mylne street; Seven Star lane, 1758, Summer street, 1708
to Clark square, Sun Court street, 1708
Turnagain alley, 1708; Autumn, 1864; extended to Washington street, 1864; Temple place, 1869, Temple place, 1830
to foot of Beacon hill
; to Mt. Vernon
, 1820, Temple street, 1769
to Charlestown street, unchanged, Thacher street, 1807
Middle to Salem
; Love lane, 1708; No. Writing School street, 1789, Tileston street, 1820
Buildings in Franklin place, removed, (Tontine,) 1793
to Charlestown st., unchanged, Travers street, 1807
, Tremont square, Pemberton hill, 1814; Tremont row, 1850, Tremont row, 1654
School to Court (many names and changes), Pemberton square to Roxbury
, 1836, Tremont street, 1654
Dock square to Mill Pond
, north of Hanover
, Green Dragon lane, 1708, Union street, 1828
Charter to Love lane; Ellitt's st., 1784, Unity street, 1795
East of Beacon hill
, between Bowdoin
and Somerset street, (Valley Acre,) 1777
North Russell to Bridge, to No. Grove; See Parkman street, Vine street, 1806
Beacon to Olive; East part Coventry
, 1733, Walnut street, 1799
; Warren st,, 1795, Warrenton street, 1868
Temple place to Mason
; built over, (Wash'n Gardens,) 1810
to fortifications; many additions, 1824, Haymarket square to Dedham
, 1879, Washington street, 1788
Cornhill to the Wharves
, 1826, Water street, 1708
Cornhill to Savage
's or Williams
' court, (Webster
's Arch,) 1732
From Custom House street to Wharf st., Well street, 1808
Wendell lane, 1796; Halfmoon place, extended 1870, Wendell street, 1824
South of Cambridge street, near Charles river
; built over, (West Hill,) 1722
From Newbury street to the Common, West street, 1708
From Broad to India street, Wharf street, 1808
No. Bennet to Tileston
; Short lane
, 1796; Short street, 1849, Wiggin street, 1878
Cornhill, west; Savage
's court, 1732, Williams court, 1788
to the Common; Blott
's lane, Bannister
's lane, Winter street, 1708