Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, and Fourteenth Louisiana regiments, was given to Harry T. Hays
, promoted to brigadier-general.
' successor in command of the Pelican
regiment was Lieut.-Col. Davidson B. Penn
. Col. Zeb York
was in command of the Fourteenth, with David Zable
To the Third battalion, to fill out the Fifteenth regiment, was soon added two companies, the Orleans Blues
and Cathoula Guerrillas, of the St. Paul
Foot Rifles, which during the Seven Days had been consolidated with the battalion of Lieut.-Col. G. Coppens
. Lieutenant Colonel Nicholls
, of the Eighth, was promoted to colonel of the new Fifteenth, and held that rank until October 14th, 1862, when he became brigadier-general, and Lieut.-Col. Edmund Pendleton
took command of the regiment.
The remaining three companies of the St. Pauls
' were permitted to make individual re-enlistments in any command desired.
's battalion passed under the same order of disbandment, with equal privilege of re-enlistment.
The First Louisiana brigade, thereafter known as ‘Hays
' brigade,’ including the Louisiana Guard artillery, remained attached to Ewell
's division, Jackson
The Second Louisiana brigade after moving to Gordonsville
under Colonel Stafford
, in August, was assigned to the same corps, in Jackson
's old division, and a week later Gen. W. E. Starke
, who had served in West Virginia
in command of a Virginia regiment, was put in command.
in 1861-65 had comparatively few batteries in the army of Northern Virginia.
These were composed, however, of men of proof, who knew their duty, loved their guns dearly, and from field to field grew ever more watchful of their State's honor.
In her light artillery she included names of which the army, around its campfires, spoke much and often after some doughty day of combat, and which war—over for thirty-four years—has not let pass from the memory of men who live at ease in days of peace.
Some, like the Washington artillery and