Meanwhile the drill and organization of commands went on with Southern ardor.
In the First district—beside the Orleans Cadets
and the Louisiana Guards, our old campaign friends of the Breckinridge and Lane club, under a war name—a new corps had been formed under the name of the First regiment of light infantry. Ten days before the first company had completed its organization, under Capt. J. A. Jacquess
, the second company was forming.
In a short time the entire battalion was on the street with full ranks.
With suddenness which amazed all beholders New Orleans had turned into a garrison town.
In the Second district appeared the Orleans Guards,1
organized by the old members of the company bearing that name, once famous among that militia of which New Orleans has always been deservedly proud.
With this new call upon the name, with the hope of active service in the near future, the lists were rapidly filled.
Three companies were ready together.
The battalion was composed, as always, of the élite of the old Creole
population, thus officered:
First company, Capt. O. Labatut
Second company, Capt. Chas. Roman
Third company, Capt. Gustav Cruzat
Fourth company, still organizing.
In the Fourth district two companies had been formed —still without officers—Numa Augustin
; battalion major.
A future, lost in clouds, cannot abate the composure of men entirely firm.
came, and with it that good humor which belongs to the season.
Every one, whether at home or on the street, seemed to put a jovial face on the ugly mask of doubt.
With the beginning of 1861 those citizens in favor of united Southern action seemed suddenly to have all the noise to themselves.
A mass meeting, called by them