As a necessary and valuable auxiliary in teaching geography, the trustees had furnished a pair of globes and a map for the use of Mr. Alger
A brief allusion is made to the schools taught by women.
As an application for a school for black children had been made, one was established which was kept from June to November.
Some mischievous boys that were detected in petty thefts were brought before the board, admonished, reproved, and exhorted, and their parents acquainted with their behavior.
The three schools without the Neck were all visited in the spring (1813), ‘and the trustees can with sincere pleasure bestow the most unqualified approbation on them.’
‘The sum required for the current year will be $3,000, the same as last year.’
From the report read May 2, 1814:—
The writing school, kept by D. Fuller
, was vacated by him May 20, and Mr. Jaquith
took the charge until June 8, when David Dodge
July 18 Mr. Alger
suddenly resigned as principal of the grammar school, on account of ill health, and Abraham Andrews
, A. B., was elected his successor August 9. Mr. Stickney
, at the Neck, gave up his position January 15, and was later succeeded by John Bennett
was retained this year as Mr. Andrews
He resigned June, 1814, and was succeeded by Robert Gordon
February 25 the trustees visited District No. 5
, which contains twenty-eight scholars, under the care of Nathaniel Green
, and also that under Jacob Pierce
, No. 4, which has fifty-eight scholars.
April 12 they visited the school in Milk Row, No. 3, containing sixty-nine scholars, under Moses Hall.
April 19 they visited the school at the Neck, with ninety pupils, under Mr. Bennett
, and April 26 and 29 the two schools at No. 1, under Messrs. Andrews
, and Dodge
. ‘They were perfectly satisfied with the good order and improvement of all.’
‘The schools without the Neck are kept only part of the year, and are not confined to any age.’
The amount spent on the schools for small children (women's schools) was $872.48. Dr. Bartlett
, in his address of 1813, says: ‘A public support of schools kept by women for primary instruction and free to every inhabitant, ’