This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Continuing up Elm street, we come to the home of Timothy Tufts. Here are two large elm trees which were set out by Mr. Tufts' grandfather before the Revolution. On a knoll several rods back from Elm street is another old elm, notable for its size and thrifty condition, which was set out at or soon after the time he built a modest cottage there at his marriage in 1761. The tree is best seen from Banks street. Inquiry brings out the existence of another tree, a pear tree still bearing, which was also set out by Mr. Tufts' grandfather. A very large red cedar, whose trunk was more than a foot in diameter, once grew on Willow avenue not far away. From Willow avenue to Davis square was a tract known as ‘Rand's woods.’ In the sixties it was a resort for enthusiasts in botany. A little further north, where the power-house now is, was another ‘cedar pasture,’ owned, as were the woods, by Benjamin Rand, of North Cambridge. Mrs. Rand was wont to
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.