[p. 67] destroyed with the stable. Next to the Gregg estate was Timothy Cotting's house, blacksmith shop and two stables, totally destroyed. Mr. Nathan Barker occupied part of the dwelling. Mr. George Lynne's1 house, blacksmith shop and stable came next and were also destroyed. The Misses Tufts' dwelling and Richard Tufts' wheelwright shop on the same side were also laid in ashes. On the opposite side of Main street the fire commenced at the bridge with the dwelling of Nathan W. Wait, and swept down Daniel Lawrence's store and dwelling house Jas. Hyde's dwelling and store, Elias Tufts' wheelwright shop and dwelling, George E. Willis' tinware shop and dwelling, Mitchell's barber shop and dwelling, Benj. Parker's dwelling and stable, Moses Merrill and Son's paint shop, and Hartshorn's harness shop (all in one building). A ten-footer, occupied by an Irish family and three stables, were all totally destroyed. The conflagration swept on before a strong northwest wind until about twelve o'clock, when it came to the lumber yard of Oakman Joyce, two-thirds of which was destroyed, when its progress was checked. The old Nathan Wait house, nearly opposite the hotel, came near being destroyed, but fortunately, the flames in this direction were stayed. Mr. John Schwartz' saw factory was destroyed with $300 worth of saws. His furniture and his own and his wife's clothing were all lost. Some of the houses named above were occupied by James Hyde, Henry Forbes, Aborn, the hatter, on Washington street, Boston. Mr. Lawrence's loss is about $2,500, no insurance. Mr. Joyce had about $5,000 of lumber destroyed. Accommodating.—We feel under special obligations to Mr. Tarbox of the Revere House Stables, on Hanover street, for the prompt manner in which he furnished us with a carriage last night, at a late hour, to visit Medford. His stables are open all night, and he is always ready to serve the public.
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
The Lawrence Light Guard .—Continued.
The tradition of the old weaver's clock.
Principals of Medford High School , 1835 - 1903 .
Medford Historical Society .
The Baptist Church of Medford .
Strangers in Medford , (continued from vol. 4 , no. 2 ).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.