[p. 15] 1865 the Symmes' meadows disappeared altogether at the building of the Mystic dam. But during the years the Mystic and Menotomy rivers have been bringing down the detritus, as their wooded slopes have been denuded, while the inflowing tides have in a measure barred the outflow. The smaller stream, doubtless much larger in President Dunster's day, shrunk to narrow width, was doubled on its course at intervals, and robbed of the natural outflow of Fresh pond, became sluggish and unsanitary in the extreme. But during the past two years all this has been changed. Instead of the narrow, serpentine stream flowing both ways, with adjoining marshes a foot lower than those a mile down stream, is now a broader, deeper channel, with easy, graceful curves, and spanned near its entrance to the Mystic by a graceful arch of concrete masonry forty feet in width. Over this extends the boulevard through the twenty-four rods by the riverside of the Broughton mill site. This is at Medford's doors, and of interest if we ask, ‘Who is our neighbor?’ A year ago the Medford Historical Society took steps looking to the restoration of the ancient and appropriate name of the boundary stream which, neglected, had become a menace, and also to suggest an appropriate one for the bridge, built at a cost of $10,000. The societies of Cambridge (New-towne), Arlington (Menotomy), and Somerville (Charles-towne), cities and town that ‘butt & bound’ thereon, have co-operated. The result is petitions to the Park Commission, which it is hoped will secure the names in future of Menotomy river and Dunster bridge. The former has historic precedent, and abundant warrant by ‘documentary proof.’ What can be more fitting than the name of the learned college president, who suffered for conscience sake, and through it all foresaw the coming of the time of liberty of conscience for all men; who made way for the industrial development of Menotomy field, and whose descendants lived therein?
M. W. M.