not admit reflection of ‘The Fewtrell’ through the arch, the lock has since been built, and the Carlton house
, seen over the other arch, is but recently removed.
In the upper left is the old Wear bridge, at the farther end of High street. The overhanging willows and shallop are at the site of the ‘Woods dam’ and tide-mill, at one time famous in Medford
Beneath this bridge the tides surged swiftly to and fro.
The lower left view shows the Lowell railroad embankment, built in 1834, across the marshland of Charlestown
) on the right, looking down stream.
The lines of the river bank are here much changed, but the stone arch remains, embedded in the newer one of concrete, built in 1906.
The upper right-hand view is ‘Canal bridge,’ over which Boston avenue was built in 1873.
There were four spans, in all one hundred and thirty-four feet, the length of the first canal aqueduct, which was here built in 1802.
Renewed in 1827, on the old abutments and on three new granite piers, it remained disused from 1852 to 1873, gradually becoming a picturesque ruin, until utilized as here seen.
The name was given it by the city government, at the request of the Historical Society, in 1903.
The iron cover in the foreground is of the Metropolitan sewer siphon, and the daisies were in full bloom when the photographer looked up stream here.
The earliest portion of the parkway to be built in Medford
was from High street along the lakes to Winchester
Facing page 60 is a view of the same through the Brooks
estate, another with the Symmes house
and mouth of the Aberjona
in the distance.
The water is the farther end of the upper Mystic lake
, once the meadow of Rev. Zachariah Symmes
, that was flowed by the Broughton dam
two miles down the river.
The present flowage is by the Mystic dam
of 1863, seen in the central view.
Across the water is ‘Inter-laken,’ and higher is ‘Morningside,’ as the recent building sections of that