[p. 78] quarters on Riverside avenue, near the post-office. Under the new management it was established on Main street, just south of the Medford Inn. In October of 1902, the publishers of the two papers found it to advantage to unite effort and the result was, for a year or more, the hyphenated Mercury—Citizen, and for a brief period the portion supplied to West Medford was simply the Citizen—not for long, however, as it was found impracticable, and the result was that soon the paper appeared under the original name, Medford Mercury. With the merger came the retirement of Mr. Stetson, and on December 17, 1903, he issued the first number of the Medford Leader. Its office was on Main street, opposite the City Hall, and the paper was printed by E. B. Thorndike, at corner of Main and Harvard streets. Mr. Stetson, during his long residence, had made many friends in Medford and his paper was well received, and continued for five years. During its latter year Mr. Stetson was prostrated by sickness and for a time the Leader continued to appear under Mrs. Stetson's management, till with the close of its fifth volume publication was suspended for a time in the hope that it might be resumed again. Mr. Stetson had then been in newspaper work for twenty-five years, and his final editorial told something of his effort and his interest in Medford and its people. The Leader had in its heading a cut of a ship on the stocks, illustrative of an old industry of Medford, and was an eight-page paper, fifteen by twenty-one inches in size. During the transition period of the Mercury-Citizen, or about that time, the Mercury assumed the same size and form, a decided improvement over the old. In 1905, the business management of the Mercury became that of the ‘Medford Publishing Company,’ Capt. Henry W. Pitman (who succeeded Mr. Stetson)continuing as editor, with Mrs. Frances French as assistant. In 1905 Medford celebrated the two hundred and
This text is part of:
Table of Contents:
Views of Medford .
Women of the Mayflower and Plymouth Colony.
Mr. Stetson 's notes on information wanted.
Old ships and ship-building days of Medford .
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.