previous next

The war.

Tennessee troops — more of the battle of Manassas Plains--facts and incidents, &c., &c.

We are permitted to make the following extract from a letter dated Nashville, Tenn., July 31, received by a gentleman of this city:

"Any news from Virginia just now would be of considerable interest to our people.-- Eight regiments from this immediate vicinity have recently pitched their tents in that portion of your state. * * * A night, therefore, may be shortly looked for, and when it does take place, the Tennessee boys will give a good account of themselves. Several of the regiments above referred to were made up in our city, and are composed for the most part of the flower of the land. The First Regiment is included in the number, and a better drilled set of men or a more gallant sand are not to be found. The same can also be said of the 14th (Col. Forces) Regiment. The first is commanded by Col. Money, one of the heroes at the battle of Monterey. Tez. W. Newman, late Speaker of our State Senate, is Col. of another. Robert Hutton, who formerly represented the 5th district in the Congress of the United States, leads another. Joel A Battle, an old Florida war horse, is at the head of a gallant band. James E. Ednes, Attorney General in this district, is Colonel of the 10th.

‘"Col. Forbea is a graduate of West Point.--In fact, they are all good officers, and the best of this, the men are of the right scripe."’

General Jones' Brigade.

A Manassas correspondent furnishes some particulars of the void and dangerous part performed in the Manassas battle by the third brigade, under Gen.Jones, which has heretofore been characterized as ‘"unsuccessful."’ We copy a portion of the letter:

The order, in the execution of which Gen. Jones crossed the Run, was to advance upon the enemy's left with three brigades, viz: Generals Longstreet, Jones, and F. Well. Gen. Jones only crossed the run, and got in reach of the enemy's guns before the order counter manding the charge was given, in consequence of which met his brigade, composed of the 5th South Carolina Volunteers and 17th and 18th Mississippi, were compelled to receive the raking fire of the eight-gun battery of the enemy's left wing, united by their steady advance, under the immediate command of Col. Jenkins, of the 6th South Carolina Volunteers, the enemy ceased firing and fled, supposing that Col. Jenkins' regiment, which was in the front, was the advance guard of a larger body of men, whose sharp shooters, though scarcely in reach of the mainly that supported the enemy's battery, so terrified their foes that they soon caught the panic prevailing on then right and joined in the general flight just as Col. Jenkins was forming his regiment at the foot of the hill upon which the battery was placed, to make his final charge; and I have no doubt that this ‘"unsuccessful attack"’ upon the enemy's left wing, which lasted about 15 minutes, and during which 70 of our men fell killed and wounded, had the effect to render complete and perfect the panic of the whole of the enemy's line. To have taken the battery unsupported as we were by artillery, would have required the entire force ordered to that duty, and yet it was boldly attempted by one-third the force, under great disadvantages, the enemy's battery being strongly posted on a high hill supported both by infantry and cavalry; and if the attempt had the effect to strengthen and confirm the panic which was beginning on the enemy's right, it certainly ought not to be characterized as ‘"unsuccessful."’

I know the fact that no regiment acted with more cool and deliberate courage on that memorable day than did the 5th South Carolina Volunteers, under Col. Jenkins, who, at the head of his regiment, gallantly led them in the van of the attack, while the grape and shell were flying thick around him, one of which knocked his stirrup from one of his feet. I am happy to say, too, that Lieut.Col. Legg, who was wounded, and the other officers of this regiment, acted nobly and well their respective parts, as did also the officers at the 17th and 18th Regiments Mississippi Volunteers. Dan.

Elzey's Brigade.

We have published accounts of the gallant part sustained by this Brigade in the battle of the 21st. A correspondent, writing from Fairfax Court-House, gives a description of the memorable forced march from Winchester to Pledment, and proceeds as follows:

‘ The battle had been in progress some time when the brigade arrived, but hastily forming, with the First Maryland on the right and Colonel Elzey and General Kirby Smith at its head, it started off on the double quick, through suffocating clouds of dust and a broiling sun. At about one mile and a half from the field they were met by an Aid, who begged them to hasten. With a cheer the enemy could scarcely have failed to hear, the gallant fellows sprang forward, and then commenced a race between the regiments to first reach the scene of action, the like of which I never before witnessed. But the Maryland boys had the advantage, being light troops, and dashed into the fight some few moments in advance of the others, receiving a galling fire as they did so from the Regiment of Fire Zouaves, which, with a Maine, a Vermont, and two or three other regiments, were just turning our flank. The Marylanders never flinched, although General Smith and several others fell at the fire; but pouring in a deadly volley from their Mississippi rifles, with which they are armed, and being immediately after supported by the gallant Virginians and Tennesseeans, drove the enemy before them for some distance. At the edge of a dense pine thicket they were reinforced, and made one more desperate stand. But it was of no avail; for, with a loud shout, the brigade pressed on, and scattered them in every direction, and the battle of Manassas was won.

I am unable to give you an accurate list of the killed and wounded in the brigade, but can give a pretty correct list of the killed and wounded in the Maryland Regiment, as given me by an officer of that regiment:

Company A, Captain Wm. Goldsborough.--Killed — John Swisher, shot through the head; James Hicks, head shot off; both belonging to Washington county, Md. Several members of this company were also slightly wounded by pieces of shell, which were constantly bursting over the regiment.

Company C, Captain E. R. Dorsey.--None killed. Wounded--Sergeant John Berryman, shot through the body and badly wounded; John Codd, severely wounded by being struck in the groin by a piece of shell. They both belong to Baltimore. Several others, whose names I do not know, were slightly injured.

Company E, Captain McCoy.--Killed — none. Wounded--Lieut. Marriott, painful wound through the arm; private — Ford, shot through the arm.

These are all the killed and wounded I could hear of in the regiment, though several of the men had their clothing perforated by balls. The enemy fired too high, or the loss of the brigade would have been much more severe.

General Smith was shot through the shoulder and neck, but never for a moment lost his presence of mind, and insisted upon being again placed on horseback in the midst of a shower of bullets, which of course was not permitted.

The brigade is now at this post, where any letters to its members will be received, as the mail is again running.

Allen Infantry.

List of killed and wounded of the Allen Infantry, of Mount Jackson, Shenandoah county, Virginia:

Killed--Alexander Williams, Jas. Swartz, Nason Kauffman, Wm. Walker.

Wounded--S. K. Moore, 1st Lieutenant; Noah Proctor, Orderly Sergeant; Chas Butt, 2d Sergeant; Jos Hawkins, Samuel Wetzel, David Overhoizer, John Grimm, Reuben Grimm, David Hoffman, Harrison Jordan, John Stonebrenner, Jos. Butt, George Patten, John Corden.

This company was attached to Col. Cummings' Regiment.

The Withes Greys.

A member of this company sends us a corrected list of the killed and wounded among his comrades. The company is commanded by Capt. Terry, and is attached to the Fourth Regiment Virginia Volunteers, Colonel Preston:

Killed.--PrivatesThos. J. Kavannaugh, James L Patterson, Luther W Cooper, J. Mat. Neff, N. D. Oglesby, Mississippi.

Wounded--(none considered dangerous)--Samuel F. Furgeson, M. Wisor, W. H. Harrison, S. Harsh. J. Briant, R. R. Balley, H. Matthews, H. H. Lockett, H. Lampkin.

The gallant dead.

Among those who fell in the great battle of the 21st July was Lieut. Richard A. Palmer, to whose memory a friend pays the following tribute:

He was born in Yorkville, South Carolina, on 31 September, 1833, and graduated with distinction in 1852 at the Citadel Academy in Charleston. He was soon afterwards chosen professor in the ‘"Saint John's Military and Classical Institution,"’ at Spartansburg, S. C., and was afterwards engaged as an instructor in an institution in Marietta, Ga.--He subsequently settled in Pontotoc, Mississippi, and was a Professor in a Female Seminary at that place, when he volunteered as a soldier in the service of the South. He was elected 1st Lieutenant of the ‘"Pontotoc Minute Men,"’ 2nd Mississippi Regiment, commanded by Col. Faulkner, and from his ad- mirable training and attainments, was soon prized by his comrades as an accomplished and efficient officer. In that desperate struggle where valor and heroic effort triumphed over fearful odds, he fell, and in the moment of his triumph, while gallantly leading his men, and almost at the same instant with another brave Carolinian (the lamented General Bee) who was but a few steps from him. He was wounded by a musket or a rifle ball in the neck, and expired a few hours afterwards.--He had been for several years a member of the Episcopal Church, and his death was that of the Christian soldier.

The Fourth Virginia Regiment.

The following is from a member of Col. J. F. Preston's Regiment, to his brother in this city:

Camp near Manassas, July 30, 1861.

We left Winchester on Thursday, with the impression that we were going to prevent the enemy from out-flanking us in the direction of Charlestown; but when a few miles from town we were told by our officers that we were on a forced march for this place to help Gen. Beauregard, and that we must make it in forty-eight hours, which we did, and had some eight hours to spare. We had one day's rest, when, on Sunday morning, 21st, while preparing breakfast in the pines, our ears were saluted by the enemy's artillery, and in a few moments a few bombs fell in our neighborhood. This was only a feint.--We were in a few moments on the march, and, after marching and counter-marching, and double-quicking it some twelve miles, we were brought up immediately behind our largest battery to support it, and at which the enemy were hurling a perfect sheet of grape, canister, and every other kind of shot. We soon took our positions and lay down upon the ground quietly for two hours and forty minutes in the hot sun. During this time the pine bushes behind us were literally mowed down, and many of our best men were killed lying there. Three were killed by a bomb-shell within a few feet of me, a part of whose blood was spattered upon me. A little further off five of our countrymen were killed without having moved from their positions. Gens. Johnston, Beauregard and Jackson rode before us and gave us a cheer. Gen. Beauregard's horse was shot within my sight. After a while the enemy got on our flank, and commenced a brisk cross fire both with artillery and musketry, and I began to think that our case was a desperate one, for our men who were on our left fell back and let the enemy have their position in the pines. But we did not have long to think of our position, for we were ordered to charge and clear the field with the bayonet.--Up we jumped, gave a loud yell, and over the fence and through the pines we went until we met the enemy face to face. We were met at every step with a perfect shower of bullets, and I saw many noble fellows full by my side to rise no more. One shot passed through the leg of my pants, and another through my shirt, but nothing could stop us; on we went until we charged on and over Sherman's famous battery, and our brave Colonel (James F. Preston) was first to mount it and place our colors upon it. So, let the world say what they will, the Fourth Regiment of Virginia Volunteers took it and held it, though we were aided by the Twenty-Seventh; but they were a long way from it when we captured it. I am told that others claim and have received all the honor of the capture, some of whom perhaps never saw it. We took in all ten pieces, having first killed nearly all their horses and men. The men that we fought were the Brooklyn Zouaves, a part of Edsworth's Regiment, and the regulars.--But they could not stand the cold steel, and I never in my life saw men run so fast after fighting as well as they did; for there is no denying the fact that they know how to shoot, and for a long time fought well.

After our cavalry took them on the run, I returned to the field and assisted in removing many of our wounded men, and I never again wish to witness such a scene. The cries of the wounded and dying for help and water are still ringing in my ears. I carried water and ministered to both friend and foe as long as I could. Of the number of prisoners and amount of property taken in this fight, you doubtless know as well, if not better than I do.

I had many interesting conversations with the enemy's wounded, nearly all of whom said that they had been most grossly deceived, but I don't believe one word that they say. Some, however, said that they would fight again if they got the chance. I saw many letters that they had written to their lady-loves, telling them to direct their letters to Richmond, as they would be there in a few days. I don't suppose there ever were men who calculated more certainly on victory than these men; but, thanks be to God, there never were men more bitterly disappointed.

They say that they can fight men with some hope of success, but not devils.

So you see, in the whole matter, the ‘"harmless Fourth,"’ as we are called, have performed their duty well, and God in his mercy gave us help and put a ‘"panic"’ into the hearts of the Yankees, and they ran; therefore we ought to give Him all the glory and thanks.

We had, when we went into action, a little over four hundred in our regiment. Thirty-five were killed and ninety-eight wounded. Our loss was, therefore, heavy in proportion to the number engaged. Not one of the company to which I am attached (the Montgomery Highlanders, Captain C. A. Ronald,) was killed, and only six wounded. I am satisfied that nothing but the protecting care of our Heavenly Father saved us from so many imminent dangers. F. L. F.

The Tiger Rifles.

Much has been said of the exploits of this company in the great battle. The following extract from a private letter written by a member of the Tigers will be read with interest:

‘ As we were crossing a field in an exposed situation, we were fired upon (through mistake) by a body of South Carolinians, and at once the enemy let loose as if all hell had been let loose. Flat upon our faces we received their showers of balls; a moment's pause, and we rose, closed in upon them with a fierce yell, clubbing our rifles and using our long knives. This hand-to-hand fight lasted until fresh reinforcements drove us back beyond our original position, we carrying our wounded with us. Major Wheat was here shot from his horse; Captain White's horse was shot under him, our First Lieutenant was wounded in the thigh, Dick Hawkins shot through the breast and wrist, and any number of killed and wounded were strewn all about.

The New York Fire Zouaves, seeing our momentary confusion, gave three cheers and started for us, but it was the last shout that most of them ever gave. We covered the ground with their dead and dying, and had driven them beyond their first position, when just then we heard three cheers for the Tigers and Louisiana. The struggle was decided. The gallant Seventh had ‘"double quicked"’ it for nine miles, and came rushing into the fight. They fired as they came within point blank range, and charged with fixed bayonets. The enemy broke and fled panic-stricken, with our men in full pursuit.

When the fight and pursuit were over, we were drawn up in line and received the thanks of Gen. Johnston for what he termed our ‘"extraordinary and desperate stand."’ Gen. Beauregard sent word to Major Wheat, ‘"you, and your battalion, for this day's work, shall never be forgotten, whether you live or die."’

Trouble in the Cherokee Nation.

The Fort Smith Times, of the 25th ult., learns that Montgomery, the notorious brigand, has arrived on the Western frontier and commenced fortifying himself in the Cherokee nation. He had taken several hundred eattle from the Cherokees living in that part of the country, and killed four of the Indians of that tribe.

The Times is further informed that Stand Watie had sent to Tablequah for ten kegs of powder, but could only get two kegs. There is great excitement in the Nation, and a large number of the Pin party have changed in favor of the South.

It will be a bad day's business for this skulking guerilla if he should venture too near the ‘"bowie-knife"’ boys underBen. McCulloch in Northwestern Arkansas.

A patriot's Burial.

A correspondent of the Lynchburg Virginian pays a very touching tribute to the memory of Capt. Winston Radford, of Bedford county, who fell in the battle of Manassas Plain. We copy a portion:

‘ Patriotism may indeed droop her proud head and veil her calm face over the bleeding, prostrate form of such a devotee. The news of our glorious victory of the 21st was echoed, alas! with telegraphic speed, by the startling news of his fall. Anxious hearts that had throbbed prayerfully for his safety in the beautiful home he had left, were now torn with anguish at the fearful intelligence that he was among the slain. Loving eyes that had often watched for his coming step, through that quiet portal, now looked, alas! through blinding tears for his lifeless remains.

And in a few days he did return to them, not as often before, coming in from his daily rides over the farm, to enjoy the repose of noon or the quiet of evening with his family, but silent and motionless, in the embrace of death, a martyr to Virginia's truth, a noble sacrifice to Southern liberty.

It was on Thursday, the 25th of July, that I had the painful honor to be present at St. Stephens' Church, but a short drive from his own door, when the old and young, the rich and the poor throughout the neighborhood assembled to attend his burial. The day was one of unclouded beauty,--the place a retired rural sanctuary in view of the grand old Mountains we all love and in whose peaceful shadows lay the home of his childhood, and that of his riper years, and where, too, in dreamless security, reposed his dead. As the assembled crowd solemnly awaited the funeral cortege, birds sang their plaintive carols over the open grave, as though Nature herself mourned a dead worshipper. And as the funeral services were conducted by Rev. Wm. C. Pendleton, rector of the parish, assisted by Rev. Wm. H. Kincle, of Lynchburg, the deep solemnity which pervaded the entire throng; the mournful countenances of all present, the broken, half suppressed sobs of those who had known him in the sacred privacy of domestic life, all testified but too truly to the painful void which death had made by his removal.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system.

hide Dates (automatically extracted)
Sort dates alphabetically, as they appear on the page, by frequency
Click on a date to search for it in this document.
25 AD (1)
July 30th, 1861 AD (1)
1852 AD (1)
September 31st, 1833 AD (1)
July 31st (1)
July 25th (1)
July 21st (1)
hide Display Preferences
Greek Display:
Arabic Display:
View by Default:
Browse Bar: