Read more on the Perseus version history.
New to Perseus? Click here for a short tutorial.
Perseus News and Updates
- Please visit the Perseus Updates blog for news on project activities, research, and initiatives. We invite you to contact us via email to the Perseus webmaster if you have any comments, questions, or concerns.
- November 22, 2022: A great deal has happened since our last update!
- The most up-to-date versions of the Greek and Latin sources in Perseus are available on the Scaife Viewer, which, as of this date, now hosts 2,412 works in 3,192 editions and translations (1,639 in Greek and 636 in Latin) and 69.7 million words: 32.1 million in Greek, 16.3 million in Latin, with the rest consisting of English translations and sources in other languages.
- Beyond Translation is developing a next generation reading environment for Perseus that will combine the deeper coverage of the Scaife Viewer, new versions of services from Perseus 4.0, and a new generation of resources. Along with P4 component upgrades, such as dynamic maps and convenient access to lexica and commentaries, Beyond Translation incorporates exhaustive syntactic explanations and alignments at the word and phrase level between source text and translation; explanations of meter; recorded performances linked to the text; and interactive textual variants.
Support from the Mellon Foundation, Tufts University, Harvard's Center for Hellenic Studies and, above all, the National Endowment for the Humanities have made the Beyond Translation project possible.
- April 24, 2019: Current Projects and Initiatives
- Work continues on the Scaife Viewer, our first new reading environment in nearly 15 years. For more, please read About the Scaife Viewer and send us your comments.
- The Perseus Digital Library is a partner and supporter of Open Greek and Latin, an international collaboration committed to creating an open educational resource featuring a corpus of digital texts, deep-reading tools, and open-source software. Look for new OGL materials in the Scaife Viewer.
- News, help and support-related content for this site ("Perseus 4.0") will be updated periodically, but the site collections and infrastructure are no longer under active development as we begin the transition to the next phase of Perseus.
Perseus contact and support information.
The Perseus Project has been supported by various funders throughout its history:
Perseus has been most recently funded by the Alpheios Project, the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the National Endowment for the Humanities, the National Science Foundation, private donations, and Tufts University.
Prior support for the project has been provided by the Annenberg/CPB Project, Apple Computer, the Berger Family Technology Transfer Endowment, Digital Libraries Initiative Phase 2, the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education part of the U.S. Department of Education, the Getty Grant program, the Modern Language Association, the National Endowment for the Arts, the Packard Humanities Institute, Xerox Corporation, Boston University, and Harvard University.
- Caesar, Gallic War (English, Latin)
- Catullus, Carmina (English, Latin)
- Cicero, In Catilinam I (English, Latin)
- Vergil, Aeneid (English, Latin)
- Herodotus, Histories (English, Greek)
- Homer, Odyssey (English, Greek)
- Plato, Republic (English, Greek)
- Tom Martin, Overview of Classical Greek History from Mycenae to Alexander (English)
- New Alexandria Foundation
- Classical Continuum
- Stoa: Open Access Publication
- The Text Encoding Initiative
- Tufts Digital Library
- Center for Hellenic Studies
- Deutsches Archäologisches Institut
- Camena-Latin Texts of Early Modern Europe
- Institute for the Study of the Ancient World
- Inscriptions of Aphrodisias
- Index Thomisticus
- Perseus under PhiloLogic