Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for January 3rd or search for January 3rd in all documents.

Your search returned 6 results in 6 document sections:

Jan. 3. The order for the removal of guns from the Alleghany arsenal to southern forts is revoked by the War Department, under a decision of the Cabinet. Fort Pulaski, at Savannah, Ga., is taken possession of by State troops, by order of the Governor. A Book is opened in New York city, for the enrolment of volunteers to meet any demand which may be made by the Governor of the State for troops to aid in preserving the Union.--Times, Jan. 4. The Florida State Convention assembled at Tallahassee. Hon. H. Dickenson, Commissioner from Mississippi, addresses both Houses of the Delaware Legislature, inviting Delaware to join a Southern Confederacy. The House, having heard him, passed unanimously the following resolution, in which the Senate concurred: Resolved, That, having extended to Hon. H. Dickenson, Commissioner from Mississippi, the courtesy due him as a representative of a sovereign State of the Confederacy, as well as to the State he represents, we deem
ans bar. She was bound from Rio Janeiro for New York, as her captain reported, and had been ordered off from Pass a l'outre previously, and was captured by the United States sloop Vincennes. She had a cargo of six thousand five hundred bags coffee. All the Yankee prisoners from Charleston, including Colonel Corcoran, arrived at Columbia, S. C., this afternoon, in a special train. They were met at the depot by the rebel-guard of this city, and conducted to prison.--Richmond Dispatch, January 3. The rebel batteries at Pensacola, Fla., having repeatedly fired at the national vessels, Fort Pickens opened on the rebel steamer Times, which was landing stores at the navy-yard today. The rebel batteries responded, and the firing was continued till evening, Fort Pickens firing the last shot. The rebel guns were well aimed, and most of their shells burst inside of the fort; only one man was wounded, however. A shot from Fort Pickens made a large breech in Fort Barrancas. In the
fied, and took his scat. The steamship Ella Warley, formerly the Isabel, from Nassau, ran the blockade, and arrived at Charleston, S. C., at daylight this morning. She was chased and ineffectually shelled by the blockaders. She brings a valuable assorted cargo and passengers, including Mr. Bisbie, formerly a delegate in the Virginia Legislature from the city of Norfolk. Mr. Bisbie is a bearer of important dispatches from Mr. Yancey, and has started for Richmond.--Charleston Mercury, January 3. General Stone, at Poolesville, Md., issued an order cautioning the troops under his command against encouraging insubordination and rebellion among the slaves, and threatening punishment to such as might violate his orders.--(Doc. 3.) An experiment was tried this morning for the purpose of determining whether the rebel battery at Cockpit Point, on the Potomac River, could be attacked, and if so, in what manner with the greatest hopes of success. At ten o'clock, the gunboat Anac
January 3. A detachment of National troops, under Col. Glover, three hundred in number, came upon a camp of rebels, two hundred and eighty strong, nine miles north of Hunnewell, Mo., fired upon and drove in the pickets, when the rebels broke line, leaving guns and hats along in the flight. Glover's men took eight prisoners before they crossed the railroad, south at the Paris crossing, when they were only half an hour behind the rebels, and expected to bag them before night. The names of the prisoners are Harvey Kincade and John Kincade, Ramsdell Payne, and a fellow belonging to Price's army named Jew Davy, and four others, whose names are not known. John Kincade helped to burn Salt River bridge and tank, and said the bridge should be burned down as often as built up.--Hannibal Messenger. A scouting party, about seven or eight hundred strong, consisting of six companies of the Coast Guard, six companies of the Twentieth New York regiment, and three companies of Harlan's
January 3. Captain William Gwin, of the United States gunboat Benton, died this evening of the wounds he received in the action near Vicksburgh, Miss., on the twenty-seventh of December last.--A volunteer cavalry company, under the command of Captain J. Sewell Reid, arrived at New York from California, on the way to Massachusetts, in order to join the Second cavalry of that State. They were raised in San Francisco, and represented nearly every loyal State in the Union.--Murfreesboro, Tenn., was evacuated by the rebels.--(Doc. 26.) Last night a portion of the command of General Washburne's cavalry left camp at Helena, Ark., and in a terrific storm of wind and rain, proceeded to a point near La Grange, where, at daylight this morning, they dashed upon a camp of rebel cavalry, and succeeded in scattering them through the woods and destroying their camp, besides capturing ten men and two officers, and killing and wounding ten others.--General Gorman's Despatch. Early thi
January 3. A large force of rebels, under General Sam Jones, made a descent upon a small body of Union troops stationed near Jonesville, Virginia, belonging to an Illinois regiment, commanded by Major Beers, and eighteen men of Neill's Ohio battery. A desperate resistance was made, continuing from seven A. M. to three P. M., when the Nationals surrendered. The rebels numbered four thousand men. They lost four killed and twelve wounded.--Admiral Lee, in the United States gunboat Fah Kee, entered Lockwood's, Folly Inlet, about ten miles to the south of Wilmington, North-Carolina, hoisted out his boats, and examined the blockade-running steamer Bendigo, which was run ashore by the captain a week previous, to prevent her being captured by the blockaders. While making these examinations, the enemy's sharpshooters appeared and opened fire upon the boats' crews, which was returned by the Fah Kee's guns, when a rebel battery opened fire and the boats returned to the ship. The Fah