Browsing named entities in William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 1. You can also browse the collection for April 18th or search for April 18th in all documents.

Your search returned 10 results in 5 document sections:

Such was the condition of affairs along the line of that road when the Sixth Regiment reached Philadelphia, on the 18th of April. I now proceed with the narrative. The Third and Fourth Regiments were composed of companies belonging to towns ir Briggs. Before the company left Pittsfield, each soldier was presented by the citizens with ten dollars. On the 18th of April, the regiment marched to the State House, and was presented with a set of regimental colors by Governor Andrew, who a Regiment on board the transport, bound for Fortress Monroe. The following is its record:— At ten o'clock, A. M., April 18, weighed anchor, and steamed out of Boston harbor, bound for Fort Monroe. Arrived at Fort Monroe at eight A. M., April tary record. The famous Sixth Regiment arrived at Philadelphia, as we have already stated, on the afternoon of the 18th of April. This regiment has the undisputed honor of having been the first to reach Washington, and the first to sacrifice lif
with all his powers of eloquence and culture, into the struggle. He was absent from the State when the call for troops was made, but returned to Boston on the 18th of April. He fully approved the measures taken by the Government, and thought the Administration ought to be cordially supported by all good citizens. Among the firerks, from early morning until midnight. An abstract of a portion only of the correspondence will show the nature and extent of a part of the labor performed. April 18.—The Governor writes to Miss A. J. Gill, also to Miss Anna M. Clarke, also to Mary A. G. Robinson, who have offered themselves to be nurses; to Robert B. Forbes,the agents of the S. R. Spaulding to take troops to Fortress Monroe at twelve dollars each. The vessel will be ready in eight hours after notice is received. April 18.—E. C. Peirce, of Weymouth, writes, If the services of an active horse and rider as courier are required for any distance, great or small, let me know. Daniel D
urport of which was, that big guns were too much for iron-clads, which Mr. Blair considered all stuff. Mr. Blair's advice to the Governor was to spend a million dollars in obstructing the channels to Boston; then big guns could be brought to bear on iron-clads, and could sink them. At this time, fears were entertained that matters might become so complicated between this country and England as to bring on a war with that nation; and John M. Forbes, who was then in London, wrote a letter April 18, upon the subject. He said it was his opinion that it would take but little to bring on another excitement similar to that about the Trent; that the British Premier would be likely to act in the same way,— try to get British pride up to back him, and then insist upon our fighting or backing down. He was to meet Messrs. Cobden, Bright, and Foster at Mr. Adams's the next day, and should probably hear something more. Cobden I saw yesterday. He is going to speak next week, and I hope wi
ery, several reconnoissances were made to Gainesville, Manassas, and in the direction of Warrington, both batteries being mounted and acting as cavalry. Feb. 1, 1863, Colonel D'Utassy was relieved by General Alexander Hays, and several regiments of infantry were added to the command, and the picket line considerably extended and strengthened, and the command assigned to garrison duty in two principal forts on Centreville heights. The battery continued on picket and scouting duty until April 18, when the command was ordered to report to Colonel Sickles commanding the division of Pennsylvania Reserves, at Forts Ramsey and Buffalo, at Upton's Hill, Va., where it remained in garrison until May 23, when, the term of service having expired, the battery was ordered to report to Brigadier-General Barry at Washington. It started for Boston, where it arrived May 28, 1863, and was mustered out of service; having served the entire term without the loss of a single man from any cause whatev
n of receiving letters from a number of members of the convention, acknowledging their mistake, and regretting the injustice which the convention had done to that officer. In the first six months of the year, the following new regiments were organized, and sent to the front— The Fifty-sixth, Colonel Charles E. Griswold, was organized at Readville, and left the State March 20. The Fifty-seventh, Colonel William F. Bartlett, was organized at Camp Wool, Worcester, and was sent forward April 18. The Fifty-eighth, nine companies, was recruited at Readville, and was sent to the front, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel John C. Whiton, April 28. The Fifty-ninth was recruited at Readville, by Colonel Jacob P. Gould. It left the State April 26. These regiments were ordered to the Army of the Potomac, and reported to Lieutenant-General Grant, only a few days previous to the advance of the army towards Richmond. They suffered severely in officers and men. Colonel Griswold, o