Browsing named entities in William Schouler, A history of Massachusetts in the Civil War: Volume 1. You can also browse the collection for April 24th or search for April 24th in all documents.

Your search returned 8 results in 5 document sections:

at Long Island, Boston harbor, on the 22d of July. The Fifth Regiment arrived at Annapolis on the morning of the 24th of April, and landed in the afternoon. The next day, the regiment was ordered to Washington. Only four companies could find were put in order by the men of the Eighth. Many of them were mechanics, who had made locomotives and cars. On the 24th of April, the Eighth and the New-York Seventh marched twenty-two miles to the Junction. The heat was oppressive, and the men n, the Old Ironsides of the war of 1812. The Third Battalion of Rifles, by transport from New York, reached Annapolis April 24, and quartered in the Naval Academy, where it remained until the 2d of May, when it was ordered to Fort McHenry, where ior Cook's Light Battery, which left New York with the Fifth Regiment and Rifle Battalion, arrived at Annapolis on the 24th of April, and was quartered at the Naval Academy, where it remained until the 4th of May, when it was sent to the Relay House.
ia to white male citizens. Personally, he knows no distinction of class or color, in his regard for his fellow-citizens, nor in their regard for our common country. Writes to Mrs. Devereux, wife of Captain Devereux, of the Eighth Regiment, who had offered her services as a nurse, that he would be reluctant to call into the field another member of a family which has already contributed so many of its children to the country. Two brothers of Captain Devereux were also in the service. April 24.—The Governor writes to Governor Washburn, of Maine, that the understanding is, that Mr. Crowninshield is to purchase three thousand rifled muskets, of the most approved pattern, for Maine, and Maine is to bear her proportion of the expenses of the agent. Also to Governor Goodwin, of New Hampshire, that Mr. Crowninshield is to purchase two thousand muskets for that State, with the same understanding in regard to sharing expenses. April 25.—The Governor writes to the Trustees of the Stat
he forts in Boston Harbor, in the early part of the war, was a cause of much labor and anxiety to the Governor, and to the merchants and underwriters, whose vessels at anchor in the harbor, or lying at the wharves, were greatly exposed. Frequent representations of the insecure condition of Boston were made by the Governor to the Secretary of War, which, for a considerable time, failed to elicit attention. To allay, in some degree, the general feeling of insecurity, the Governor, on the 24th of April, ordered the Fourth Battalion of Infantry, under command of Major Thomas G. Stevenson, to garrison Fort Independence, where it remained until the 21st of May. On the 29th of April, the Second Battalion of Infantry, under command of Major Ralph W. Newton, was ordered to garrison Fort Warren, where it remained until the 1st of June. Major-General Samuel Andrews, of Boston, was ordered to take command of both forts, which position he held from the 1st of May until the 1st of June, when
ised a company in the beginning of the war, and went with it as captain, in the First Regiment of three years men from Massachusetts. He was in the first Bull-Run fight, and in all the battles before Richmond, in one of which he was severely wounded. As colonel of the Thirty-fifth Regiment, he fought at South Mountain and Antietam, where he lost his left arm. The letter of the Governor appears to have been satisfactory to Mr. Stanton, as Colonel Wilde was commissioned brigadier-general April 24, eight days after it was written. The defenceless condition of Boston Harbor had from the first attracted the serious attention of the Governor and of the community generally. The seizure of our merchant vessels upon the high seas by rebel cruisers, and the frequent reports of the approach of the Alabama upon our coast, contributed immensely to the question of defence. Hardly a month had elapsed since the war begun that the Governor had not pressed the subject upon the attention of the
gh on the 17th, arriving at Newbern on the 20th. The regiment shared in the various expeditions sent out from Newbern. It took part in the siege of Washington, N. C., in April, 1863. On the 17th, three companies, under command of Major Dabney, supported by gunboat Commodore Hull, landed at Stile's Point, and occupied the rebel battery, destroying portions of their work, and building the entrenchments necessary to guard against an attack from the land side. The regiment, after the 24th of April, did provost duty at Newbern, until June 6, when it left for Boston, and was mustered out of service at Readville, June 18, 1863. It was called out to assist in suppressing draft-riot, July 14, 1863, and dismissed July 21. The regiment was fortunate enough to serve under brigade and division generals who won, not only the respect, but the love, of all who served under them. Brigadier-Generals Stevenson and Wessells were men whose fidelity to duty, unremitting care for the welfare