Browsing named entities in Rebellion Record: a Diary of American Events, Diary from December 17, 1860 - April 30, 1864 (ed. Frank Moore). You can also browse the collection for July 18th or search for July 18th in all documents.

Your search returned 10 results in 8 document sections:

of eight hundred men, were fired into at that point, as they came up in a train of cars, and an engagement at once ensued. The number of the rebels is not known, but seven of their number were killed and several taken prisoners.--N. Y. Herald, July 18. The Third Massachusetts Regiment sails from Fortress Monroe for Boston this evening in the Steamer Cambridge. They were reviewed by General Butler to-day.--The Sixth Massachusetts Regiment follows to-morrow.--Col. Max Weber's and Col. Bakments.--Col. Duryea will be acting Brigadier-General in Hampton.--Several companies went out from Newport News last night to surprise, if possible, a body of light horse, which have for some time hovered in the vicinity.--National Intelligencer, July 18. In the House of Representatives at Washington, the Committee on Commerce, in response to a resolution directing inquiry as to what measures are necessary to suppress privateering, and render the blockade of the rebel ports more effectual,
r to the other Maine regiments. Each man has an extra fatigue uniform, consisting of gray pants and shirt, presented to them by various sewing societies. Surgeon-General Garcelon, of Maine, accompanies the regiment to Washington.--Boston Post, July 18. The following order relative to contraband negroes was issued from the Army Headquarters in Washington: Headquarters Department of Washington, Washington, D. C., July 17, 1861. General orders, no. 33. Fugitive slaves will, undeive cross-fire. The side west of the town is defended by a palisade; but the east side is only covered by a veil. On the east side there is also an eminence which commands the town. This eminence has been left unoccupied.--Baltimore American, July 18. The Twelfth Ohio Regiment, two companies of the Twenty-first Ohio and a battery of light artillery, attacked the rebels at a place called Scarytown, on the Kanawha River, Va., and were repulsed with a loss of thirty killed and wounded.--(D
July 18. This morning a general order was issued at Fairfax Court House, Va., by General McDowell, deprecating the disorderly conduct of the troops under his command in destroying the property of the inhabitants of the town, and appointing a police force from each regiment to secure the preservation of such property. It was read to every regiment in the army of the Potomac.--(Doc. 100.) A large and enthusiastic Union meeting composed of the citizens of Broome and Chenango counties, New York, was held to-day. Addresses were made by Daniel S. Dickinson and George Baillet, and resolutions approving the acts of the Federal Government in the present crisis, were unanimously adopted.--(Doc. 101.) The Tammany Regiment or Jackson Guard, N. Y. S. V., under the command of Colonel Wm. D. Kennedy, left its encampment at Great Neck, Long Island, for the scene of the war.--N. Y. World, July 19. In the House of Representatives, Washington, the Committee to whom was referred t
July 18. Great excitement and terror existed among the citizens of Cincinnati, in consequence of the vicinity of the force of rebel guerrillas under John Morgan. Colonel Burbank, Thirteenth United States infantry, assumed military command of the city, and issued orders directing all officers in the volunteer service to report to him. The Governor of the State also issued an order calling for volunteers to serve for thirty days. The excitement of Cincinnati pervaded the adjoining towns in Kentucky. At Kingston, North-Carolina, two negroes were executed, by order of Colonel Sol Williams, C. S. A., having been found guilty of drumming up recruits for Burnside's army.--Richmond Examiner, July 24. Col. Salomon, of the Ninth Wisconsin volunteers, at his encampment on Grand River, Ark., arrested Col. Weer, commander of the Indian expedition, and assumed command. A desperate fight took place near Memphis, Mo., between a detachment of Union troops, numbering about four h
under General J. G. Blunt reached Cabin Creek, fifty-five miles from Fort Gibson.--Thirty-one battle-flags captured by the National forces at Gettysburgh, were sent to the War Department by Major-General Meade.--(Doc. 92.) The siege of Jackson, Miss., was commenced this day by the Union forces under General Grant. It began by skirmishing on the Clinton road with musketry and. artillery; shells were thrown into the city, and several persons were killed and wounded.--Mobile Advertiser, July 18. An artillery and cavalry battle took place at a point on the road from Boonsboro to Hagerstown, Md., between the Union forces under Generals Buford and Kilpatrick, and the rebels belonging to the army of General Lee.--(Doc. 82.) Major-General Schenck, from his headquarters at Baltimore, issued an order regulating the treatment of rebel prisoners in his department.--the Mayor of Lynchburgh, Va., issued a proclamation to the citizens of that place, requesting them to suspend busine
July 18. General Beauregard, from his headquarters at Charleston, S. C., issued the following address: While the Commanding General regrets that the enemy have succeeded in effecting a landing upon Morris Island, he acknowledges with satisfaction the conduct of the troops in their brave and prolonged resistance against a force largely their superior in numbers; and he is especially gratified by the spirit and success with which the garrison of Battery Wagner, and the troops under Colonel Graham, repelled the assaults on that fortification, as it gives the assurance that he can rely upon the conduct and courage of both officers and men to check the progress of the enemy. --General George C. Strong, with a column of General Gillmore's forces, made an assault upon Fort Wagner. The storming party was led by the Fifty-fourth regiment of Massachusetts, (colored,) under Colonel Robert G. Shaw. After gaining an angle of the Fort, and holding it for some time, they were repulsed with
esty to all who should return to duty before the expiration of twenty days. (Doe. 113.)--the English steamer Peterhoff was condemned at New York, by the United States Prize Court, for carrying contraband of war at the time of capture.--A party of rebels made an attack upon a one of the new Union batteries, in course of erection on Morris Island, S. C., and were repulsed with considerable loss. The funeral of Brigadier-General George C. Strong, who fell in the attack on Fort Wagner, July eighteenth, took place at New York City.--the monitor Canonicus was successfully launched from the works of Harrison Loring, at East-Boston, Mass.--the Fourth and Seventh United States army corps were discontinued by order of the Secretary of War. This morning General Buford's cavalry division crossed the Rappahannock River, at the Rappahannock Station, and shortly afterward encountered a brigade of Stuart's rebel cavalry, which they attacked, The rebels were soon reenforced by the balance of
August 9. A reconnoissance under Major Warden, of General Ransom's staff, to Woodville, seventy miles from Natchez, Miss., destroyed five locomotives, forty-three platform and twelve passenger cars; and burned a rebel cotton factory at Woodville, and also cotton and manufacturing goods to the value of two hundred thousand dollars. Join L. Chatfield, Colonel of the Sixth regiment of Connecticut volunteers, died at Waterbury, from wounds received in the assault on Fort Wagner, of July eighteenth.