Your search returned 149 results in 81 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
Samuel Ball Platner, Thomas Ashby, A Topographical Dictionary of Ancient Rome, ARCUS CLAUDII (2) (search)
ARCUS CLAUDII (2) built by Claudius in 51/52 A.D. in commemoration of his victories in Britain (CIL vi. 920-923 =31203-4; Suet. Claud. 17; Dio lx. 19 ff., 22). It also formed part of the aqua Virgo, where this aqueduct crossed the via Lata, just north of the Saepta. It seems to have been in ruins as early as the eighth century, but in 1562, in 1641, and again in 1869 portions of the structure were found, including part of the principal inscription, inscriptions dedicated to other members of the imperial family, some of the foundations, and fragments of sculpture of which all traces have been lost. On coins issued in 46-47 A.D., as an ' intelligent anticipation' of events (BM Claud. 29, 32-35, 49-50; Cohen, Claudius 16-24), is a representation of an arch erected to commemorate these victories of Claudius, but whether it is this arch of the aqua Virgo is quite uncertain (HJ 468-9; LS iii. 125-6; PBS iii. 220-223). For reliefs recently discovered which may belong to it, see NS 1925,
Fitzhugh Lee, General Lee, Chapter 1: ancestry. (search)
ents with the servants who accompanied him. To his credit it may be added that when he returned to England, some years afterward, he gave away all the lands he had taken up, and settled at his own expense, to the servants he had fixed on them, some of whose descendants are now possessed of very considerable estates in that colony. After remaining some time in England he again visited Virginia with a fresh band of followers whom he also established there. He first settled in York County in 1641, where he was burgess and justice in 1647, and when later he removed to the Northern neck, between the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers, he filled the offices of Secretary of State and Member of the Privy Council. Of his loyalty to the house of Stuart we have already spoken, and of his various voyages, indicating in themselves his enterprising genius. When he made his will in London, in 1663, he was returning on what proved to be his last voyage. He had with him his large, young family, hi
e, Winchester, Stoneham, Melrose, and Malden. It received the name of Meadford from the adventurers who arrived at Salem, in May, 1630, and came thence to settle here in June. When these first comers marked the flatness and extent of the marshes, resembling vast meads or meadows, it may have been this peculiarity of surface which suggested the name of Meadford, or the great meadow. In one of the earliest deeds of sale it is written Metford, and in the records of the Massachusetts Colony, 1641, Meadfoard. The Selectmen and Town-clerks often spelled it Meadford ; but, after April, 1715, it has been uniformly written Medford. No reason is given for these changes; and why it received its first name, history does not tell us. Josselyn in 1638, writes thus: On the north-west side of the (Mystic) river is the town of Mistick, three miles from Charlestown, a league and a half by water. This author gives the name of Mistick to land on the north side of the river, and reports a thriving
ge Felt1633. James Noyes1634. Richard Berry1636. Thomas Mayhew1636. Benjamin Crisp1636. James Garrett1637. John Smith1638. Richard Cooke1640. Josiah Dawstin1641. ----Dix1641. Ri. Dexter1644. William Sargent1648. James Goodnow1650. John Martin1650. Edward Convers1650. Goulden Moore1654. Robert Burden1655. Richard 1641. Ri. Dexter1644. William Sargent1648. James Goodnow1650. John Martin1650. Edward Convers1650. Goulden Moore1654. Robert Burden1655. Richard Russell1656. Thos. Shephard1657. Thos. Danforth1658. Thomas Greene1659. James Pemberton1659. Joseph Hills1662. Jonathan Wade1668. Edward Collins1669. John Call1669. Daniel Deane1669. Samuel Hayward1670. Caleb Brooks1672. Daniel Markham1675. John Whitmore1678. John Greenland1678. Daniel Woodward1679. Isaac Fox1679. rticular and private ways concerning their own town only. The road from the landing, called No man's friend (now Mr. Lapham's ship-yard), was made by Charlestown, 1641, to their land north of Medford. The road is now called Cross and Fulton Streets. To have free access to the river, the great highway, they opened private road
peculiar town, and have power as other towns as to prudentials. To illustrate what direction the laws and regulations of Medford must have generally taken, it will be necessary to know those one hundred laws established by the General Court in 1641, and called The body of liberties These laws were drawn up by Rev. Nathaniel Ward, of Ipswich, and Rev. John Cotton, of Boston, as the most competent men. To show the expansion of their minds and the soundness of their hearts, we will give here twted the taxes. In the town-meetings, which were always opened with prayer by a deacon or some aged member of the church, a moderator presided. Fines were imposed for non-attendance. Each one had an equal right to speak. The Court ordered, in 1641, that every man, whether inhabitant or foreigner, free or not free, shall have liberty to prefer a petition, bring forward a motion, or make a complaint, so it be done in convenient time, due order, and respectful manner. The voting related mai
by wife Sarah,--  1-2William, bap. Jan. 10, 1627.  3 Mary, bap. Apr. 16, 1628; m.1st, T. Savage, Sept. 15, 1652. 2d, Anthony Stoddard.  4Elizabeth, bap. Jan. 1, 1630; m. Hezekiah Usher, 1654.  5Huldah, bap. Mar. 18, 1631; m. William Davis.  6Hannah, bap. Aug. 22, 1632; d. unm.  7Rebecca, bap. Feb. 12, 1634; m. Humphrey Booth.  8Ruth, bap. Oct. 18, 1635; m. Ed. Willis, June 15, 1668.  9Zechariah, b. Jan. 9, 1638; d. Mar. 22, 1708; min. at Bradford.  10Timothy, b. May 7, 1640; d. 1641.  11Deborah, b. Aug. 28, 1642; m. Timothy Prout, 1664.  12 Sarah, m.1st, Rev. Sam. Hough, 1650. 2d, Rev. John Brock, 1662.  13Timothy, m. Mary Nichols, Dec. 10, 1668. 1-2William Symmes m. Mary----; and d. Sept. 22, 1691. He had seven children, of whom the names of five are known; viz.,--  2-14Sarah, m. Rev. M. Fisk, of Braintree, Nov. 7, 1672; d. Nov. 2, 1692.  15William, Jan. 7, 1679.  16Zechariah.  17Timothy.  18Nathaniel.   His dau., Sarah, was child of his firs
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Agamenticus, (search)
Agamenticus, The name given in 1636 to the region lying between the mountain and the sea, now comprising York county, Me. It was within the grant given to Gorges and Mason. There a city was formed, and incorporated in 1641, in imitation of English municipalities, with a mayor and aldermen. The city was called Gorgeana. The occupants of the land in Agamenticus were tenants at will of the proprietor. There English apple-seeds were planted and thrived, and one of the trees that sprang up lived and bore fruit annually so late as 1875, when it was cut down. See Maine.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Bellingham, Richard, 1592- (search)
Bellingham, Richard, 1592- Colonial governor; born in England in 1592. Bred a lawyer, he came to America in 1634, and was chosen deputy governor of Massachusetts the next year. He was elected governor, in opposition to Winthrop, in 1641. He was rechosen in 1654, and in 1666, after the death of Governor Endicott, continuing in office the rest of his life. His administration was a somewhat stormy one. Bellingham was so opposed to all innovations in religious matters that he was severe in his conduct towards the Friends, or Quakers. He died Dec. 7, 1672.
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Charles I. 1600- (search)
ally married (1625) Henrietta Maria, daughter of Henry IV. of France. She was a Roman Catholic, and had been procured for Charles by the infamous Duke of Buckingham, whose influence over the young King was disastrous to England and to the monarch himself. Charles was naturally a good man, but his education, especially concerning the doctrine of the divine right of kings and the sanctity of the royal prerogative, led to an outbreak in England which cost him his life. Civil war began in 1641, and ended with his execution at the beginning of 1649. His reign was at first succeeded by the rule of the Long Parliament, and then by Cromwell—halfmonarch, called the Protector. After various vicissitudes during the civil war, Charles was captured, and imprisoned in Carisbrooke Castle, in the Isle of Wight, from whence he was taken to London at the close of 1648. He was brought to trial before a special high court in Westminster Hall on Jan. 20, 1649, on the 27th was condemned to death,
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Connecticut (search)
election on Oct. 5. During the Civil War the State furnished to the National army 54,882 soldiers, of whom 1,094 men and ninety-seven officers were killed in action, 666 men and forty-eight officers died from wounds, and 3,246 men and sixty-three officers from disease. There were reported missing 389 men and twenty-one officers. Population in 1890, 746,258; in 1900, 908,355. Governors of the Connecticut colony Name.Date. John Haynes1639 to 1640 Edward Hopkins1640 to 1641 John Haynes1641 to 1642 George Wyllys1642 to 1643 John Haynes alternately from Edward Hopkins1643 to 1655 Thomas Welles1655 to 1656 John Webster1656 to 1657 John Winthrop1657 to 1658 Thomas Welles1658 to 1659 John Winthrop1659 to 1665 Until this time no person could be elected to a second term immediately following the first. Governors of the New Haven colony Name.Date. Theophilus Eaton1639 to 1657 Francis Newman1658 to 1660 William Leete1661 to 1665 Governors of Connecticut Name.Date J
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...