hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 152 results in 85 document sections:

... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
ohn Sanger of Wat.; Jonathan, b. 27 Aug. 1670; Elizabeth, b. 28 July 1679, m. John Holland. Thomas the f. d. 11 Aug. 1689; his w. Abigail d. 3 Feb. 1691, and his estate was divided 12 Mar. 1693-4, to eight surviving children. 3. Edward, before 1648 purchased of Col. George Cooke, a house at the N. W. corner of Brighton and Mount Auburn streets, with several parcels of outlands; to which the town added a grant of seventy-two acres on the Rocks. It is not certain that he ever resided here, ort there by occasion of the war); but God took him away childless. Savage's Winthrop, i. 173; II. 239. Prentice, Thomas (otherwise written Prentis, and Prentiss), settled on the south side of the river, and by w. Grace, had Grace, b. in England 1648, m. Thomas Oliver 27 Nov. 1667, and d. 31 Sept. 1681, a. 33; Thomas, and Elizabeth, twins, b. here 22 Jan. 1649-50; Mary, b. about 1652; John, b. 2 Feb. 1653-4, d. 10 Jan. 1654-5; John, b. 10 July 1655, m. Elizabeth, dau. of Edward Jackson, and d.
uly 1635, and arrived at Boston on the 6th of the next October. He res. successively at Dorchester, Scituate (where he was Constable in 1644), and Brookline until 1648, when he bought a farm in Woburn. His chil. b. in England, were George, b. 1629; Ralph, b. 1630, m. Mary Pierce, d. 4 Jan. 1711-12; Justice, b. 1633, prob. d. yHannah, b. 19 June 1643, prob. the same who m. Thomas Larkin of Chs. 13 Sept. 1666; Elizabeth, b. 5 Ap. 1645, d. 16 Mar. 1646; prob. a second Elizabeth, b. about 1648, m. John Stedman of Camb. 14 May 1666, and Samuel Gibson 14 June 1679, and d. 1680, naming Jonathan Remington in her will, as her brother; Mary, b. 31 Mar. 1653, t the N. W. corner of Holyoke and Mount Auburn streets, in a house purchased of Daniel Abbott. He was Surveyor of Arms 1638, Selectman 1642 and 1643, Constable in 1648, Clerk of the Writs 1645, and an active citizen. He was father of John, who grad. H. C. 1645, and was Minister at Weathersfield and Hadley, the trusty protector
ime Captain of the Castle; he removed to Yarmouth about 1638 (Savage, Gen. Dict.), was of Barnstable 1645, and of Scituate 1648. Plym. Col. Rec., XII. 142, 192. Skidmore, Thomas (otherwise written Skidmer), by w. Ellen, had John, b. 11 Ap. 1643. westerly side of Dunster Street near Harvard Street. He removed to Hartford, where he was juror 1639 and 1642; he died in 1648 and left a good estate to his widow and children, viz., Caleb, Isaac, Lois, and a younger daughter. The Stanley family ma6, and removed to Hartford, with Hooker. He was a Deacon of the Church, Juror in 1639 and 1643, Deputy in 1639, 1641, and 1648, Selectman in 1647, Collector of funds for the students of Cambridge College, by order of the General Court, in 1645. He nty 26 years, from 1658 to 1683. He was also connected with the military department. The General Court ordered, Mar. 1647-8, that John Stedman, having been Ensign of the Company at Cambridge about six years, is freed from serving as a common soldi
d on the easterly corner of Brattle and Ash streets; he was a large land-holder, and a man of energy and influence; he was one of the first Board of Selectmen 1634-5, and a Representative or Deputy in the first General Court which admitted Deputies or Committees, as they were first styled 1634, and was reflected to the same office the two succeeding years; he rem. with Hooker to Hartford 1636, and was one of the leading men of that town and of the Connecticut Colony; Selectman 1643, 1644, and 1648; Deputy to the General Court 1637– 1639; frequently an Assistant; and a Commissioner of the United Colonies, 1656, 1657, 1658, 1662, and 1663. He was the ancestor of the Talcotts in Hartford, and of the former Attorney-general of the State of New York. Hinman. Taylor, John, by w. Katherine, had Joseph, b. about 1651. John the f. went to England in 1671, as a special messenger of the Church, to accompany the Rev. Urian Oakes across the Atlantic. In this mission he contracted a debt which
ad preached for a time at Malden. His w. Elizabeth m. Henry Thompson 27 Ap. 1669, and afterwards m. John Sharp. 2. William, of Pomfret, Conn., but prob. of the Malden family, m. Naomi, dau. of Daniel Dana, 21 June 1721. Usher, Hezekiah, in 1642 res. at the N. E. corner of Dunster and Winthrop streets, but rein. to Boston about 1645. By w. Frances he had in Camb., Hezekiah, b. June 1639; John, b. 11 Sept. 1643, d. Dec. 1645; and in Boston, Elizabeth, b. 1 Feb. 1645-6; John, b. 17 Ap. 1648. His w. Frances d. 25 Ap. 1652, and he m. Elizabeth, dau. of Rev. Zechariah Symmes of Chs., 2 Nov. 1652, and had Hannah, b. 29 Dec. 1653; Zechariah, b. 26 Dec. 1654. After the death of his second wife he m. widow Mary Butler, who survived him. He had also dau. Sarah, who m. Jonathan Tyng, and dau. Rebecca, who m. Abraham Brown 1 May 1660; one of his daughters, perhaps Elizabeth, m. Samuel Shrimpton, as is manifest from his will, and the will of his son Hezekiah, in both of which the relatio
ought a house and half an acre of land on the westerly side of Garden Street, probably between Mason Street and Phillips Place. He was appointed with Edward Shepard to drive the neck, 23 Mar. 1662-3. No record is found of his family. 3. Daniel, by w. Mary had Daniel, b. 18 May 1695; Mary, b. 29 Oct. 1697; John, b. 16 Feb. 1699; Thomas, b. 22 Feb. 1701; Joseph, b. 17 Ap. 1704; Sybil, b. 12 May 1796; Stephen, b. 27 Ap. 1709; Sarah, b. 23 Aug. 1711. Whitmore, Francis, m. Isabel Park about 1648; she d. 31 Mar. 1665, and he m. Margaret Harty. His chil. were Elizabeth, b. 2 May 1649, m. Daniel Markham 3 Nov. 1669; Francis, b. 12 Oct. 1650, living in 1691; John, b. 1 Oct. 1654; Samuel, b. 1 May 1658; Abigail, b. 3 July 1660, m.—— Wilcox; Sarah, b. 7 Mar. 1662, m. William Locke; Margery, bap. 27 Mar. 1664, m. Thomas Carter; Hannah, bap. 16 Feb. 1667, d. young; Hannah, b. 9 Feb. 1668; Frances, b. 3 Mar. 1671, m. Jonathan Thompson; Thomas; Joseph, living in 1691, perhaps m. Mary Kendal
the Rev. W. Turner , Jun. , MA., Lives of the eminent Unitarians, John Biddle (search)
nally put down by such means as these. Mr. Biddle, however, was not so intimidated by the formidable exercise of human power displayed against him as to be deterred from directing his thoughts to the further promotion of what he conceived to be the noblest and most worthy object on which they could be engaged, namely, a just understanding of the truth of God as revealed in his holy word. The fruit of these studies he soon afterwards published to the world in two tracts, which appeared in 1648; the first entitled A Confession of Faith touching the Holy Trinity, according to the Scriptures; the second, The Testimonies of Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, Tertullian, Novatianus, Theophilus, and Origen, who lived in the two first centuries after Christ was born, or thereabouts, as also of Arnobius, Lactantius, Eusebius, Hilary, and Brightman, concerning the One God, and the Persons of the Holy Trinity. These pieces were doubtless suppressed at the time of their first publication, as far as wa
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Thomas Brigham the Puritan—an original settler (search)
descendant of the Faire Grammar Schoole, the first school in Cambridge, is on this land. With Saltonstall, Dudley, Nicholas Danforth, and other chief men for his neighbors and associates, Thomas Brigham lived on his comfortable homestead until 1648. Having been admitted to the freeman's oath, he, in 1639, was chosen a member of the board of townsmen, who exercised supreme authority in municipal matters, and had the distribution of the public lands. He served as townsman or selectman in 164nth largest share, while others received only a few acres. He received grants in Brighton, Shawshine (Billerica), West Cambridge, and Charlestown, amounting to hundreds of acres. His first grant in Charlestown was of one acre made in 1645. In 1648 there was laid out to him seventy-two acres on the rocks upon Charlestown line; and later in the same year he bought of William Hamlet ten acres in Fresh Pond Meadow, on the northwest side of the great swamp. Of these he took immediate possession
e is no doubt in my mind that Thomas Brigham lies buried in the old Cambridge Cemetery, although his grave, like the graves of some others of his time, cannot be identified. In view of the foregoing circumstances, I feel that the indebtedness of the Brigham Family, indirectly to the Somerville Historical Society and directly to Messrs. Elliot and Thomas M. Hutchinson, is very great. W. E. B. Brigham Farme on ye Rocks. William E. Brigham in the History of the Brigham Family. In 1648 there was laid out by the town of Cambridge to Thomas1 Brigham 72 acres on ye Rocks on Charlestown line. In view of the important error of Rev. Abner Morse, the first Brigham genealogist, in locating upon this plot the homestead in which Thomas died in 1653, the place has borne a distinction in Brigham family history which is unwarranted by its actual position as a Brigham possession. Morse, mistaking the well-known ledges of Clarendon Hill for ye Cambridge Rocks, declares that the last hab
this time (1627) decided to value a person at three cows, and in their records of later years, the size of a common or stint of land for one cow was one and one-half acres, so that it would seem from these records that each settler was entitled in this division to rights in four and one-half acres of grazing land, although this afterwards may have been changed. In 1638 the rights of the different owners in the Stinted pasture were registered in the town's book of possessions, and again in 1648 and in 1653-4. At a meeting of the selectmen on the thirteenth day of February, 1657, n. s., all the proprietary rights of the several inhabitants of Charlestown in this Stinted pasture, with the concurrence of all the proprietors themselves, were confirmed and by their general consent were Recorded and Ratified to stand Legal and vallid to their use forever. There were recorded and confirmed at this time, the titles of ownership to 166 1/2 commons, or presumably about 250 acres of land t
... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9