hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 141 results in 75 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
h, they fasten their forke, which they hold in their other hand upon the same dish so that whosoever he be that sitting in the company of others at meate, shoul vnaduisedly touch the dish of meate with his fingers from which all others at the table doe cut, be will give occasion of offence unto the company as hauing transgressed the laws of good manners, in so much that for his error he shall be at least broue-beaten, if not reprehended in words. Even when Heylin published his Cosmography, 1652, they appear to have been a novelty in England, as, after speaking of the chopsticks used by the Chinese, he adds, The use of silver forks, which is by some of our spruce gallants taken up of late, came from thence into Italy, and from thence into England. In a curious class of knives of the sixteenth century, the blades have on one side the musical notes to the benediction of the table, or grace before meat, and on the other, the grace after meat. (See carving-knife, page 492.) The s
der an ink-roller, and then passes between rollers, simultaneously with the wire to be marked. American wire and screw gage. Caliper, rule, and wire gage. Wire-mi-crom′e-ter. A comparison of authorities shows that two other forms of micrometer were used before the wire-micrometer was introduced by Malvasia, about 1654. These were the micrometer by Gascoigne, 1640, which consisted of nicely ground parallel edges of adjustable brass plates; and the slip of metal used by Huyghens, 1652. The latter was made to cover the image of the object in the focus of the lenses, and then compared with the breadth of the field. Hooke substituted parallel hairs for the parallel edges. Malvasia constructed a micrometer having two parallel series of crossing silver wires, which divided the field of view into squares of equal size. Machine for making skirt-wire. The fiar, or wire-micrometer, has spider-lines, or fine wires, across the field of the instrument, and these are capabl
and parsonage, one nearly completes the outline picture of the little seventeenth-century town. But one other building, of high consideration and importance, calls for mention, to wit, the village ale-house. Our Puritan forefathers did not frown upon such good cheer as was there provided, but they took care that it should be dispensed by discreet and responsible persons. An innkeeper in those days must be a man of approved character, and the position was most respectable. We find that in 1652 the townsmen do grant liberty to Andrew Belcher to sell beer and bread, for entertainment of strangers and the good of the town. The wife of this Andrew Belcher was sister of Thomas Danforth, the deputy-governor; their son, who also became mine host, was a member of the Council, and their grandson was Jonathan Belcher, royal governor of Massachusetts and of New Jersey. In 1671, at the northeast corner of Mount Auburn and Boylston streets, the first Belcher opened the famous Blue Anchor Tave
the Washington Elm by Mr. John Owen, was presented to the city, and planted on the westerly side of the Common with suitable exercises. Several thousand persons were present, together with the city government, and among the features of the occasion were an address by the mayor and an original hymn sung by the children of the public schools. In 1882, a fine bronze statue of John Bridge, in Puritan costume, one of the most prominent of the early settlers of the town, selectman from 1635 to 1652, and representative for several terms in the General Court, and deacon of the First Church, was presented to the city by his descendant, Samuel J. Bridge, and erected in the northeasterly corner of the Common. It was dedicated November 28, after an interesting address by Colonel Thomas Wentworth Higginson and remarks by the mayor, President Eliot, and General Charles Devens. Each Memorial Day finds a large concourse assembled around the soldiers' monument with the members of the various p
389; rebukes G., 395. Scott, Orange, Rev., committeeman on political A. S. action, 2.130; joins plot against Lib., 263, supports G. Smith's A. S. reorganization, 275, slanders G., 289, 303; opposes enrolment of women, 297; at Albany Convention, 309. Scott, Winfield [1786-1866], 2.314. Sears, David, 1.79. Sears, Willard, 2.125. Selden, John, 2.110. Seventy Agents, meeting, 2.114-117, James T. Woodbury one, 167. Sever, James W., witnesses Boston mob, 2.22, 26. Sewall, Samuel [1652-1730], 1.213. Ancestor of Sewall, Samuel Edmund [b. Boston, Nov. 9, 1799], ancestry, 1.213; Unitarian, 2.138; attends G.'s Julien Hall and Athenaeum lectures, 1.213, 215, proposes Safety-Lamp title, 217, aid to Liberator, 223, 2.43, objects to pictorial head of Lib., 1.232; part in founding New Eng. A. S. Soc., 277-280; counsel for Francisco, 282; pays Whittier's way to Philadelphia, 395; writes 2d ann. report N. E. A. S. Soc., 417, and 3d, 456; trustee Noyes Academy, 454; catechises A. L
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Henry Walcott Boynton, Reader's History of American Literature, Chapter 2: the secular writers (search)
ent themselves to perform the office of gleaners after the barley-harvest; as long as Nature shall not grow old and dote, but shall constantly remember to give the rows of Indian corn their education by pairs; so long shall Christians be born there, and being first made meet, shall from thence be translated to be made partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light. His diary, like the diaries of Evelyn and Pepys, was intended only for the writer. Samuel Sewall was born in England in 1652, but came to America with his parents when a child and graduated at Harvard in 1671, at nineteen. Till 1730 he was a conspicuous leader in the Massachusetts Colony, and was the only one of the judges concerned in the witchcraft trial who made public confession in later life, standing before the congregation to own that he had been wrong in his rulings, and spending one day in each of the remaining thirty-nine years of his life in fasting and prayer for the wrong he had done. In 1700 he wro
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, John Greenleaf Whittier, Chapter 1: childhood (search)
ier never suffered, though he was one of the town committee to provide fortified houses for places of refuge in case of danger. That he never even bolted his own doors at night is the tradition of the family. This tradition suggests the ways and purposes of the Society of Friends, but it does not appear that Thomas Whittier actually belonged to that body, though he risked name and standing to secure fair treatment for those who led it. Mr. Pickard, the poet's biographer, tells us that in 1652 he joined in petitioning the legislature, then called general court, for the pardon of Robert Pike, who had been heavily fined for speaking against the order prohibiting certain Quakers from exhorting on the Lord's Day, even in their own houses. Not only was this petition not granted, but the petitioners were threatened with loss of rights as freemen unless they withdrew their names. Sixteen refused to withdraw them, of whom two, Thomas Whittier and Christopher Hussey, were ancestors of the
Edward L. Pierce, Memoir and letters of Charles Sumner: volume 1, Chapter 1: Ancestry. (search)
the river. At first, the organization of the settlement was imperfect. In 1633, a local government was organized; and the next year the town sent delegates to the first general court or legislature. The community was still in its infancy, when William Sumner joined it. Two children were born to him after his arrival. The early records show that he entered actively on his duties as a citizen. He became at once a grantee of land. He was made a freeman in 1637; admitted to the church in 1652; was for twelve years a deputy to the general court; a selectman twenty-three years, nearly half the time, from 1637 to 1688; was a rater for five years, and a commissioner to try and issue small causes for nine years, from 1663 to 1671 inclusive. In 1645, he was appointed one of a committee for building a new meeting-house, and in 1663 was chosen clerk of ye training band. Roger, the second son From his third son, George, who lived on Brush Hill, Milton, descended, in the fifth gener
Thomas Wentworth Higginson, Atlantic Essays, The Puritan minister. (search)
days, and the statute-books and private journals are full of such plaintive inventories of the implements of sin. Things known as slash apparel seem to have been an infinite source of anxiety; there must be only one slash on each sleeve and one in the back. Men also must be prohibited from shoulder-bands of undue width, double ruffs and cuffs, and immoderate great breeches. Part of the solicitude was for modesty, part for gravity, part for economy: none must dress above their condition. In 1652, three men and a woman were fined ten shillings each and costs for wearing silver-lace, another for broad bone-lace, another for tiffany, and another for a silk hood. Alice Flynt was accused of a silk hood, but, proving herself worth more than two hundred pounds, escaped unpunished. Jonas Fairbanks, about the same time, was charged with great boots, and the evidence went hard against him; but he was fortunately acquitted, and the credit of the family saved. The question of veils seems t
Cambridge sketches (ed. Estelle M. H. Merrill), The oldest road in Cambridge. (search)
s Danforth, and so connected himself with a truly great name. Mr. Danforth during his long life (born in England 1622, died 1699) was Selectman of Cambridge twenty-seven years, Town Clerk twenty-four years, Assistant (or Councillor) to Governor twenty years, and Deputy Governor ten years; he was also Treasurer of Harvard College nineteen years; and held other important offices, all of which he discharged with the utmost fidelity. In 1643 he had married Mary Withington of Dorchester, and in 1652 he had sold his house which had been his father's and was on Back Lane, and had built a house at a point on the Charlestown road a little way east of Oxford street. He had here about one hundred and twenty acres of land on both sides of Kirkland street, extending from the Somerville line to Gore Hall and including the Delta and lands east of it. Mr. Danforth had a large family, but nearly all died before him, some of them from consumption, so that his real estate in Cambridge went to his d
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8