hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 109 results in 59 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905, Gregory Stone and some of his descendants (search)
12 yearly of the town's money for this school. Compared with the present outlay in the same district, this seems a mere trifle, but perhaps this man, for his faithfulness to public duties, is deserving of an enduring monument, such as the naming of a school building for himself and his family, full as much as some of our more modern worthies who have been thus honored. The Kent family was long identified with the history of Charlestown. The grandfather of Samuel came here from Dedham in 1653, and left a good estate to his children. Ebenezer, a distant cousin of Samuel, was the ancestor of Hon. William H. Kent, one of the mayors of Charlestown. Joseph Kent died May 30, 1753, in his seventy-ninth year, and was the father of nine children. In his will there is mention of seventy-four acres at Winter Hill, bounded, east, by a rangeway; west, by Peter Tufts; etc. Besides several smaller parcels, he left to his son Samuel sixteen acres, bought of N. Hayward, near Winter Hill, and th
Family, indirectly to the Somerville Historical Society and directly to Messrs. Elliot and Thomas M. Hutchinson, is very great. W. E. B. Brigham Farme on ye Rocks. William E. Brigham in the History of the Brigham Family. In 1648 there was laid out by the town of Cambridge to Thomas1 Brigham 72 acres on ye Rocks on Charlestown line. In view of the important error of Rev. Abner Morse, the first Brigham genealogist, in locating upon this plot the homestead in which Thomas died in 1653, the place has borne a distinction in Brigham family history which is unwarranted by its actual position as a Brigham possession. Morse, mistaking the well-known ledges of Clarendon Hill for ye Cambridge Rocks, declares that the last habitation of Thomas was in Somerville. Having done this, he easily draws a graphic picture of the Brigham Farm as it might have appeared in the last days of its owner; and he even goes so far as to offer the baseless conjecture that Thomas was buried in Medfor
627) decided to value a person at three cows, and in their records of later years, the size of a common or stint of land for one cow was one and one-half acres, so that it would seem from these records that each settler was entitled in this division to rights in four and one-half acres of grazing land, although this afterwards may have been changed. In 1638 the rights of the different owners in the Stinted pasture were registered in the town's book of possessions, and again in 1648 and in 1653-4. At a meeting of the selectmen on the thirteenth day of February, 1657, n. s., all the proprietary rights of the several inhabitants of Charlestown in this Stinted pasture, with the concurrence of all the proprietors themselves, were confirmed and by their general consent were Recorded and Ratified to stand Legal and vallid to their use forever. There were recorded and confirmed at this time, the titles of ownership to 166 1/2 commons, or presumably about 250 acres of land to forty-thre
The writings of John Greenleaf Whittier, Volume 5. (ed. John Greenleaf Whittier), Tales and Sketches (search)
for none of these things. The stout hearts which beat under their leathern doublets are proof against the sweet influences of Nature. They see only a great and howling wilderness, where be many Indians, but where fish may be taken, and where be meadows for ye subsistence of cattle, and which, on the whole, is a comfortable place to accommodate a company of God's people upon, who may, with God's blessing, do good in that place for both church and state. (Vide petition to the General Court, 1653.) In reading the journals and narratives of the early settlers of New England nothing is more remarkable than the entire silence of the worthy writers in respect to the natural beauty or grandeur of the scenery amid which their lot was cast. They designated the grand and glorious forest, broken by lakes and crossed by great rivers, intersected by a thousand streams more beautiful than those which the Old World has given to song and romance, as a desert and frightful wilderness. The wildl
The writings of John Greenleaf Whittier, Volume 6. (ed. John Greenleaf Whittier), Old portraits and modern Sketches (search)
ilence Charles Lamb quotes in one of his Essays. It is supposed that he made his first acquaintance with Milton in Italy. At Paris he made the Abbot de Manihan the subject of another satire. The Abbot pretended to skill in the arts of magic, and used to prognosticate the fortunes of people from the character of their handwriting. At what period he returned from his travels we are not aware. It is stated, by some of his biographers, that he was sent as secretary of a Turkish mission. In 1653, he was appointed the tutor of Cromwell's nephew; and, four years after, doubtless through the instrumentality of his friend Milton, he received the honorable appointment of Latin Secretary of the Commonwealth. In 1658, he was selected by his townsmen of Hull to represent them in Parliament. In this service he continued until 1663, when, notwithstanding his sturdy republican principles, he was appointed secretary to the Russian embassy. On his return, in 1665, he was again elected to Parl
Cutter was a wine-cooper and made freeman April 18, 1637, and member of the Artillery Company in 1638. He had estates in Cambridge and Charlestown, and resided at different periods in both places (see Paige, XVI. 487, 521, and Wyman, 260); and by 1653 returned to Newcastle-upon-Tyne, in England, where he originated, and whence a letter he wrote to Mr. Henry Dunster, President of Harvard College in Cambridge in New England, in 1654, has been preserved (see Hist. Cutter Family of N. E., p. 368).esh Pond and east on Alewife Brook, being the former southeasterly corner of Arlington, occurred in 1729 (Paige, 631). Justinian Holden had bought of Nathaniel Sparhawk's executors 289 acres, bounded S. on Fresh Pond and E. on Alewife River, in 1653 (Paige, 586). John Adams bought of Mr. Joseph Cooke (brother of Colonel George Cooke) of Stannaway, co. Essex, England, by deed in the seventeenth year of King Charles II., 1664, thirteen acres meadow and upland lying by 'Notomy River, abutti
meeting held after their arrival in the colony, which is considered the date of the incorporation of the Town. The name was doubtless given from the fact, stated by many of the early writers, that it was well watered. Johnson Wand Work. Prov., 1653, chap. 28. calls it a fruitful plot of large extent, watered with many pleasant springs, and rivulets, running like rivers throughout her body. Josselyn in his Two Voyages, 1663, and Dunton in his Letters from New England, 1686, use identical woidend, 2 acres in the Further Plain, next to the River, and 71 acres in the Farms. He purchased 35 acres in 2d Great Dividend. He is supposed to have been a brother of Captain John Mason, the distinguished Pequot exterminator.—Bond. Zzz. In 1653, the inhabitants were said to number 160 families, but there was no village, and these were so scattered over the territory that their Sabbath assemblies were very thin if the weather was unfavorable. Johnson says their Church-membership was now
dent that happened at this mill. A five year old son of one Smith fell into the raceway near the mill-gate and was carried by the stream under the wheel. One of the boards of the wheel had fallen off, and it feems (by special providence) he was carried through under that gap, for otherwise if an eel pass through, it is cut asunder. The miller noticed the sudden checking of his wheel, and looking out, found the child unhurt, sitting up to the waist in the shallow water below the mill. In 1653 this mill was rated at £ 140 for the support of the ministry. Before the close of 1686 a fulling-mill had been erected adjoining the corn-mill, by the proprietors of the latter. The next mill built was within the limits of Waltham, and was a fulling-mill, erected in 1662 or 3 on Beaver Brook, in the eastern corner of the town, supposed to be on the spot where Kendall's Grist-Mills stood; sold in 1663 to Thomas Livermore, and eight years later Captain Benjamin Garfield purchased part of it
ssault from the Indians, who had ceased to be friendly, the want of provisions, and jealousy respecting the distribution of the risks and profits, defeated the de sign. The whole party soon set sail and bore for England. The return voyage lasted but five weeks; June 18. and the expedition was completed in less than four months, during which entire health had prevailed. Gosnold to his father, in Purchas, IV. 1646. Archer's Relation, ibid. IV. 1647—1651. Rosier's Notes, ibid. IV. 1651—1653. Brierston's Relation, in Smith, i. 105—108. Compare, particularly, Belknap's Life of Gosnold, in Am. Biog. II. 100-123. Gosnold and his companions spread the most favorable reports of the regions which he had visited. Could it be that the voyage was so safe, the climate so pleasant, the country so inviting? The merchants of Bristol, with the ready assent of Raleigh, Purchas, IV. 1614. and at the instance of Richard Hakluyt, the enlightened friend and able documentary historian of<
was permitted to retain the executive power till further instructions should arrive from England. Strong, 2 and 3. Langford, 7 and 8. Bacon's Preface. McMahon, 204, 205. Chalmers, 122. The dissolution of the Long Parliament threatened 1653. April. a change in the political condition of Maryland; for, it was argued, the only authority, under which Bennett and Clayborne had acted, had expired with the body from which it was derived. Langford, 10. Strong, 3. In consequence, Stone, ty; displacing all officers of the contrary party, they introduced the old council, and declared the condition of the colony, as settled by Bennett and Clayborne, to have been a state of rebellion. Strong, 3. Hazard, i. 626. The date is there 1653. It was in 1654, as Strong asserts. McMahon, 206, cites Hazard doubtingly. Bacon, 1654, c. XLV. Hammond, 22. A railing proclamation to that effect was published to the Puritans in their church meeting. The measures were rash and ill advised
1 2 3 4 5 6