hide Matching Documents

The documents where this entity occurs most often are shown below. Click on a document to open it.

Document Max. Freq Min. Freq
Lucius R. Paige, History of Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1630-1877, with a genealogical register 64 64 Browse Search
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing) 43 43 Browse Search
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MEDFORD, Middlesex County, Massachusetts, FROM ITS FIRST SETTLEMENT, IN 1630, TO THE PRESENT TIME, 1855. (ed. Charles Brooks) 11 11 Browse Search
Benjamin Cutter, William R. Cutter, History of the town of Arlington, Massachusetts, ormerly the second precinct in Cambridge, or District of Menotomy, afterward the town of West Cambridge. 1635-1879 with a genealogical register of the inhabitants of the precinct. 8 8 Browse Search
Knight's Mechanical Encyclopedia (ed. Knight) 6 6 Browse Search
George Bancroft, History of the United States from the Discovery of the American Continent, Vol. 3, 15th edition. 5 5 Browse Search
Cambridge History of American Literature: volume 1, Colonial and Revolutionary Literature: Early National Literature: Part I (ed. Trent, William Peterfield, 1862-1939., Erskine, John, 1879-1951., Sherman, Stuart Pratt, 1881-1926., Van Doren, Carl, 1885-1950.) 4 4 Browse Search
the Rev. W. Turner , Jun. , MA., Lives of the eminent Unitarians 4 4 Browse Search
Historic leaves, volume 3, April, 1904 - January, 1905 3 3 Browse Search
Historic leaves, volume 6, April, 1907 - January, 1908 2 2 Browse Search
View all matching documents...

Your search returned 178 results in 97 document sections:

1 2 3 4 5 6 ...
ien, as early as 1766, was described as a great mart, where tribes from the most remote branches of the Mississippi annually assemble, bringing with them their furs to dispose of to the traders. The Indians built forts even before the white men came to the country, to protect themselves from the hostile tribes, and the French, wary and industrious, as is their wont at this day, built a fort wherever they halted for a week. Marquette and the Jesuits each fortified their mission-houses. In 1727 Father Guignas wrote in his diary, when establishing himself on the north bank of Lake Pepin, the day after landing we put our axes to the wood. On the fourth day following, the fort was entirely finished. These were not, however, very elaborate fortifications. They were generally square, and inclosed by pickets of red cedar, with sentry-boxes at two of the angles. The pickets were thirteen or fourteen feet above ground. The fort at Prairie du Chien, though built at an early day, was
ion to Slavery, whereof the society of Christian Friends or Quakers were the pioneers, had been developed both in the mother country and in her colonies. George Fox, the first Quaker, bore earnest testimony, so early as 1671, on the occasion of his visit to Barbadoes, against the prevalent cruelty and inhumanity with which negro slaves were then treated in that island, and urged their gradual emancipation. His letter implies that some of his disciples were slaveholders. Yet it was not till 1727 that the yearly meeting of the whole society in London declared the importing of negroes from their native country and relations, by Friends, not a commendable or allowable practice. Nearly thirty years before, the yearly meeting in Philadelphia (1696) took a step in advance of this, admonishing their members to be careful not to encourage the bringing in of any more negroes, and that those who have negroes be careful of them, bring them to meeting, etc., etc. It thus appears that Quakers, l
l forfeit 5s. a piece to those that shall empound them, and the owners shall be liable to pay double damages. When mowing grounds and tillage fields became fenced, and that was early, then it became a common habit with our ancestors to let hogs run at large, as they do now in the city of New York; of which license more may be said of its economy than of its neatness. March 10, 1721, the town of Medford voted to let the hogs go at large, as they formerly have done. This vote was repealed in 1727. There gradually grew up a strong dislike of this custom, and some altercations occurred in town-meetings concerning it; when, in March 12, 1770, the inhabitants vote that the hogs should not go at large any longer. After this there must have been a vast improvement in the appearance of the public roads, and of the grounds about private dwellings. The raising of all kinds of stock was deemed of paramount importance, and served more towards enriching our farmers than any other part of lab
1830. John King1831. John Symmes, jun1832. Thomas R. Peck1834. Galen James1836. James O. Curtis1837. Galen James1838. Lewis Richardson1839. Thomas R. Peck1840. Alexander Gregg1841. Timothy Cotting1844. Alexander Gregg1845. Henry Withington1847. Peter C. Hall1849. James O. Curtis1850. Peter C. Hall1853. Benjamin H. Samson1855. Names of the treasurers. Stephen Willis1696. John Bradstreet1700. Samuel Wade1709. John Whitmore1714. William Willis1725. John Richardson1727. Edward Brooks1728. Samuel Brooks1729. Stephen Hall1733. Edward Brooks1735. Benjamin Parker1743. Edward Brooks1750. Thomas Brooks1756. Aaron Hall1761. Thomas Brooks1763. James Wyman1767. Jonathan Patten1778. Richard Hall1786. Jonathan Porter1790. Isaac Warren1793. Samuel Buel1794. John Bishop1798. Joseph P. Hall1804. Joseph Manning1808. William Rogers1823. Henry Porter1825. Turell Tufts1827. Timothy Cotting1836. George W. Porter1837. Names of the town-clerks.
st died in 1721; and the second is not found in the records but a year or two afterwards. Of these two practitioners, not being graduates, nothing has been discovered concerning them. The name of Dr. John Bishop appears on the tax-bills of 1726-7, and then vanishes. Dr. Simon Tufts, son of Peter, born in Medford, Jan. 31, 1700, died here, Jan. 31, 1747. He graduated at Harvard College in 1724. He pursued his medical studies under all the advantages which nearness to Boston could give, tleman well descended and liberally educated. He was the youngest son of Captain Peter Tufts, of this town, by his second wife, who was daughter of the Rev. Seaborn Cotton, of Hampton. He took his degrees at Harvard College in the years 1724 and 1727. He early applied himself to the study of physic, and soon became eminent in that profession. He was honored with three commissions,--one for the peace, in the year 1733; another for a special justice, in 1741; and a third for justice of the quo
e dwelt on these minute details, because they only can give the true history of our early ancestors. These little facts tell great truths. They show us how much our fathers did with the scantiest means; and, better than all, they prove to us that the noble Anglo-Saxon Puritans who settled these shores could not be seduced by poverty to abate a tittle of their high-minded integrity, or their jealousy of power, or their Christian enthusiasm. Second meeting-house. Second meeting-house, 1727. A new house was first proposed May 28, 1716, because the enlargement of the old would cost nearly as much as the building of a new one. The committee reported that its size should be fifty feet long, thirty-eight broad, and twenty-seven feet stud. It was to have diamond glass and window-shutters, and was to cost four hundred and fifty pounds. In 1719, the subject again came up for more decisive action; and, in Feb. 9 of that year, they put the question in this form: Put to vote, whethe
resent), sent to his native country of Guinea, and a letter with him of the indignation of the court thereabouts, and justice thereof, desiring our honored governor would please put this order into execution. May 29, 1644: Slaves took the name of their first master. John Gore is granted leave to set his servant, Thomas Reeves, free. Respecting taxes on black servants, we have the subsequent items: Each of them, in 1694, was assessed twelve-pence; from 1700 to 1719, as personal estate; 1727, each male fifteen pounds, and each female ten pounds; from 1731 to 1775, as personal property. In 1701, the inhabitants of Boston gave the following magnanimous direction: The representatives are desired to promote the encouraging the bringing of white servants, and to put a period to negroes being slaves. Colonel Royal (Dec. 7, 1737) petitions the General Court, that, having lately arrived from Antigua, he has with him several slaves for his own use, and not to sell, and therefore prays
d. Her grandfather was Rev. John Cotton, of England, a very distinguished divine. Dr. Simon Tufts, of Medford, was the youngest son of Peter and. Mercy Tufts. 1727.--Mr. Thomas Seccomb left valuable records, in manuscript, containing a notice of every clergyman who preached in Medford, and all the texts preached from, between 1727 and 1774; also a record of all baptisms and all contributions. Book No 1 begins Sept.3, 1727;and ends June1, 1736. Book No 2 begins June20, 1736;and ends Feb.28, 1745. Book No 3 begins March3, 1745;and ends Dec.3, 1767. Book No 4 begins Dec.20, 1767;and ends May1, 1774. In the second meeting-house, 5,134 sermons w1727;and ends June1, 1736. Book No 2 begins June20, 1736;and ends Feb.28, 1745. Book No 3 begins March3, 1745;and ends Dec.3, 1767. Book No 4 begins Dec.20, 1767;and ends May1, 1774. In the second meeting-house, 5,134 sermons were preached, and 1,218 persons baptized. Oct. 29, 1727.--The great earthquake occurred on this day (Sunday); and. the selectmen of Medford appointed the next Wednesday, Nov. 2, to be observed as a day of fasting and humiliation on that account. September, 1729.--The Yankee habit of using a jack-knife on all occasions and in
is. of his father's estate.  13Samuel, b. Jan. 17, 1696.  14Anna, b. Nov. 2, 1697; m. Benj. Dany, July 23, 1724.  15Joseph, b. Jan. 5, 1700.  16Ebenezer, b. Oct. 30, 1701; d. Mar. 3, 1702.  17Lydia, b. Apr. 20, 1703; m. Joseph Tufts, Jan 12, 1727.  18Ebenezer, b. Mar. 25, 1708; d. Feb. 2, 1727.   He appears to have m. Eliz. Frost, Sept. 13, 1705; and, in fact, it is possible that all these children, after Nathaniel,--that is, from and including No. 13,--may be the offspring of a differes, and is better informed on the genealogy of the family than any person now living. His antiquarian taste has found this a welcome field for research.   Charles Willis, in all probability a brother of the forementioned Benjamin, m. Anna Ingols, 1727, and had--   Charles, b. Aug. 21, 1728.   Anna, b. Dec. 29, 1731.   Charles Willis, jun., m. Abigail Belknap, gr.-dau. of Rev. John Bailey, of Watertown, and had--   Charles.   Nathaniel, b. 1760; d. 1832.   Abigail, m. Isaac
Harper's Encyclopedia of United States History (ed. Benson Lossing), Blair, James, 1656-1743 (search)
Blair, James, 1656-1743 Educator; born in Scotland in 1656; was sent to Virginia as a missionary in 1865 and in 1692 obtained the charter of William and Mary College, of which he was the first president. He published The state of his Majesty's colony in Virginia, in 1727. He died in Williamsburg, Va., Aug. 1, 1743.<
1 2 3 4 5 6 ...